What's the thanksgiving food you skip out on?

Options

Replies

• AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't care for candied yams or green bean casserole...but I just replace those with pecan pie.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes are something I can have any time of the year.....nothing special there. I make cranberry orange relish with Splenda (helps a bit). I like sweet potatoes, but they don't need to compete with desert (lighter versions are fine). I've never been a fan of green bean casserole, nicely steamed fresh green beans are waaay better.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Most of it, except the turkey and vegetables. I eat the mashed potatoes if they have no garlic and the sweet potatoes if they have no cinnamon, marshmallows or brown sugar. I hardly drink and if I have a desert it will be a small portion of pecan pie.

Edited to add: I don't eat anything with cinnamon or all spice, so if I even get a sniff of it in a dish, I will not eat it.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I skip the rolls.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Nothing. I'm cooking everything and having stuff I like.

I am not making sweet potato casserole because I don't like it and don't feel we need another side dish.

My mom is making sweet potatoes for my dad, but she and I aren't touching them. With mashed potatoes and another veggie, it wouldn't be necessary even if we liked them.

I hated sweet potatoes growing up but found as an adult a plain sweet potato with salt and pepper is fine. What I really hate is all the stuff added to sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I will skip mashed potatoes & gravy and stuffing (a meh moment)....one spoonful of candied yams and greenbeans....lots of turkey w/splenda cranberries....one spoonful fruit salad and 1 roll..Amen!
    Ps....one small sliver of a pie that looks good...Amen!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'll probably skip the potatoes and the rolls. Splurging on the cornbread, Apple pie and stuffing! I don't generally go nuts for Thanksgiving food, because I make it all. I'm a great cook, but by the time it's served i am kind of over it all haha
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Seems many de-prioritize rolls to make room for other stuff they like better. It's funny because my kids are bonkers for these particular rolls, probably the meal highlight for them. They come from an old school southern fried chicken drive through. Come to think of it, it's a little insulting to the cook who labored hours on all the homemade stuff. :lol:
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have learned that I don't have to eat what I don't like... Revolutionary concept, right? So no stuffing, and I'm meh on the rolls my aunt serves. Also not sure I will have macaroni & cheese. If I do, it will just be a little taste. I will be making mashed potatoes for the crowd since I don't like the way my aunt makes them (no salt and very little butter...WHY) and from-scratch green bean casserole, which is worlds beyond the canned stuff!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I will skip nothing.
  • DewGracen
    DewGracen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Turkey, dressing, rolls, green bean casserole, broccoli w/ cheese, Marie Callender pie
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Not sure this counts as skipping but pumpkin is my last choice behind pecan. apple or chocolate (and we will usually have at least one of those). This year I am making "Pecan pie baked apples" which is pecans, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a baked apple and I will have that instead of pie. With those ingredients it isn't exactly low calorie, especially if I put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, but lower than the pie would be.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes and rolls.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Seems many de-prioritize rolls to make room for other stuff they like better. It's funny because my kids are bonkers for these particular rolls, probably the meal highlight for them. They come from an old school southern fried chicken drive through. Come to think of it, it's a little insulting to the cook who labored hours on all the homemade stuff. :lol:

My 3 kids go crazy over the rolls at Thanksgiving too. Ours are homemade by my grandma though so it always warms her heart, but in my head I'm thinking "it's just bread, nothing special". lol And none of my kids will touch mashed potatoes and gravy, hard to believe they are my kids. :D
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'll be skipping the green bean casserole, rolls, and cranberry sauce... but I'll be having an extra glass of wine and a bigger piece of pie!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I EAT IT ALL DRINK IT ALL, I INDULGE! ITS ONE frickin day I have no idea why everyone goes bat *kitten* crazy, GO LIVE LIFE! AND HAVE FUN!
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

My 3 kids go crazy over the rolls at Thanksgiving too. Ours are homemade by my grandma though so it always warms her heart, but in my head I'm thinking "it's just bread, nothing special". lol And none of my kids will touch mashed potatoes and gravy, hard to believe they are my kids. :D

Put me at the kids'/Oprah table, because I LOVE BREAD. Holidays are the only time rolls are around me, so I end up packing them in. I could skip the turkey, any candied/honeyed veggie and pecan pie.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Everything besides turkey, roasted brussel sprouts/veggies, and pie of course! (My favorite is apple)

I hate most thanksgiving foods like stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry stuff, green bean casserole, etc
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I don't like most Thanksgiving food to begin with. I usually just eat turkey, green beans and homemade cranberry sauce. So, I skip all the other stuff for pumpkin pie and alcohol.

Same here, never liked thanksgiving food.