Lab Results..

Options
Hello my MFP peeps! Sooo.. just got my lab results from Monday... I don't see the Dr. until the 25th, but was dying to find out how the past 2 1/2 months of my hard work has (or hasn't) paid off. My last lab work was May 3rd and my A1c was 8.5, my overall cholesterol was 156 and my triglycerides at a shocking 315. Well as of Monday the 1st, they are now: A1c is 6.7, cholesterol at 133 and triglycerides at 151! So I'm making progress. I didn't start making my life changes until May 16th, so I really look forward to my next visit with a full 3+ months with these new changes in place. So I guess I'm a little disappointed, hoped my A1c would be lower... I've been tracking my blood sugar daily and the averages I have from testing are 124... but obviously I can't track 50 times/day... so it's just one observation. Anyway... feeling great!!!

One question for you guys... so my HDL (good cholesterol) was 30 at my last visit in May and still 30 for this labwork this week... shouldn't it have increased due to all this new exercise/activities I've been doing? Or does that take some more time to be realized? It's frustrating for me to not see the #s!!

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My triglycerides were almost 400 a couple weeks ago, I have a month and a half till my next appointment and I am trying really hard to bring them down, any suggestions?
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to the HDL because I have a problem keeping mine up as well. Hopefully over time yours will get higher but mine has bounced between 35 and 50 for the past few years. When I'm really intentional about putting flax seed and wheat germ in my oatmeal or smoothies, I noticed it stays on the higher end. Exercise doesn't seem to have much of an impact on mine.

Good luck and great job on making changes and seeing that being reflected in those numbers already :) Let that motivate you to keep going!
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    My triglycerides were almost 400 a couple weeks ago, I have a month and a half till my next appointment and I am trying really hard to bring them down, any suggestions?

My diabetic educator told me that triglycerides are directly related to caloric intake and blood sugars. Are you diabetic? If not, have you been eating a high number of calories? She said that with exercise and lower calories (and monitoring them) that they would come down.. which they did big time from May. I've upped fruits and veggies and cut out most fried foods, etc.. And lowered sodium a lot - so I think all those things worked together to help lower them.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi there, for the chestroel try fiber, in everything! for the A1C try mulberry zuccarin, or chromium. Chromium help me crave the sweets less. GNC have the time release so it works through out the whole day!
  • nburns325
    Options
    I can only speak to the HDL because I have a problem keeping mine up as well. Hopefully over time yours will get higher but mine has bounced between 35 and 50 for the past few years. When I'm really intentional about putting flax seed and wheat germ in my oatmeal or smoothies, I noticed it stays on the higher end. Exercise doesn't seem to have much of an impact on mine.

Good luck and great job on making changes and seeing that being reflected in those numbers already :) Let that motivate you to keep going!

Thanks for those tips... I've never tried adding flax seed or wheat germ. I heard that flax seed has to be ground up or something...?
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Just the usual things. Lose weight, limit simple carbs, saturated fats and alcohol, and exercise. You'll hear a lot about how just walking 20 minutes a day won't help you lose weight, but it will help lower you triglycerides. Of course more exercise would be better....
  • nburns325
    Options
    Hi there, for the chestroel try fiber, in everything! for the A1C try mulberry zuccarin, or chromium. Chromium help me crave the sweets less. GNC have the time release so it works through out the whole day!

Thanks! I'll have to take a look at those too... never heard of it!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Those sound like great results!!! Congrats on your progress - your hard work is definately paying off!!! Keep up the good work!!!!
  • nburns325
    Options
    Those sound like great results!!! Congrats on your progress - your hard work is definately paying off!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

Thanks Nancy! This site and friends like YOU are HUGE reasons why I'm being so successful and will continue to be!!!