Strength Training for Beginners - Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• ActiveTami
    ActiveTami Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump... thanks!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I know this is going to sound super cheapo... but with tons of kids and years in the library, I have come dependent upon checking my library for items before purchasing them. I have only paid for one of my videos from walmart, all others are checked out at the library.

You could try:
    Jillian Michaels (All of her dvd's are great)
    The Biggest Loser dvd's are awesome, as well.
    Leslie Sansone for low impact aerobics (walking at home programs)
    Gilad
    Denise Austin
    The Firm DVD's
    Joyce Vedral (not only does she have dvd's and video cassettes, she has books that has every exercise outlined)

That is all I can think of right now.

Hope it helps some ;)
  • change_happens
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training

A free site that lets you develop a program for you, with or without free weights. Options for gym/home. I don't use it all the time, cause I go to the gym, but I do use it on the days I don't.

BodyRock.tv is a great site. I came across the site via a link on youtube.

and you can find tons of stuff on youtube, too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I can recommend a great book - "Smart Girls Do Dumbbells". Not just a series of exercises, it sets you up with a progressive routine.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any online resources or books that they would recommend to help me build my own program? I will be starting from scratch (well, not really, I have 3 and 5 lbs dumbbells but that's it)

Well, I was going to write you a long post setting out possible solutions but then I thought why reinvent the wheel? This has everything you need including routines:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

Whilst bodyweight exercises / circuits are ok for physqiue / conditioning purposes you won't get as much of the neural activation and associated benefits that come with a heavy resistance / weights routine. A well kitted out free weights area with a few machines to suit individual preferences will also be the most efficient means of working for strength but it is not essential.

A chin up bar, bench and adjustable dumbell set (which you can add to as you get stronger) can all be picked up relatively cheaply second hand (lots of people never maintain their routines so sell them on at areduced price) If you budget doesn't stretch to that then just get a chin up / pull up bar, some resistance bands and incorporate bodyweight exercises (check out a book called "The Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness" by Ross Enamait if you want literally hundreds of exercises in that category or his book "Never Gymless" for home based routines. His blog is pretty good as well and can be found here: http://rosstraining.com/blog/)

Good luck L.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

That link rocks. If you look at my bodyweight routine I posted above...it follows the same format. When I joined a gym...I simply replaced each bodyweight exercise with weighted exercises. Dumbbell press for pushups, dumbbell shoulder press for handstand pushups, etc etc.

It works :)
  • zeroblackstar
    zeroblackstar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have similar problem of basically not being able to get too/afford a gym membership right now.

I have been doing pull ups on the tree in the garden, close arm pushups, tricep dips using the edge of my bed, planking and various other no equipment needed type exercises.

I have to say its been super effective, and to keep things challenging I now do these things with a rucksack on with 4 milk jugs full of water in it.

I honestly don't miss the gym at all. I even beat my buddy in an arm wrestle who goes down the gym religiously 4-5 times a week and has a pretty impresive physique :D

Where there is will and determination, there is a way!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I have similar problem of basically not being able to get too/afford a gym membership right now.

I have been doing pull ups on the tree in the garden, close arm pushups, tricep dips using the edge of my bed, planking and various other no equipment needed type exercises.

I have to say its been super effective, and to keep things challenging I now do these things with a rucksack on with 4 milk jugs full of water in it.

I honestly don't miss the gym at all. I even beat my buddy in an arm wrestle who goes down the gym religiously 4-5 times a week and has a pretty impresive physique :D

The only problem here is that two of the larger muscle in your body (quads and hamstrings) are not getting much, if any real work. Throw on your rucksack and start incorporating some jump squats (jump as high as you possibly can), and lunges.
  • joymeg1
    joymeg1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zeroblackstar
    zeroblackstar Posts: 7 Member
    Options

The only problem here is that two of the larger muscle in your body (quads and hamstrings) are not getting much, if any real work. Throw on your rucksack and start incorporating some jump squats (jump as high as you possibly can), and lunges.

"various other no equipment needed type exercises" - included lunges and squats :)
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to help me out so thoughtfully. You all rock!!!

I will sift through it all and am certain that I can devise a program that will get me started.

What an amazing bunch of people you all are. Thanks again.

ps - I still don't know what "broscience" is...?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Picture a sentence starting with 'Hey bro...I heard that...'

And you'll get the idea.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For books. I usually search books on Amazon, then try to borrow it from the library (including using the inter-library loan). If you like, then buy it. There are good books like:

* Maximum Strength: Get Your Strongest Body in 16 Weeks with the Ultimate Weight-Training Program
    * Body for Life: 12 Weeks to Mental and Physical Strength
    * The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!
    * 101 Workouts for Women: Everything You Need to Get a Lean, Strong and Fit Physique
    * The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess

For DVDs:
    * P90x have awesome strength training workout (cheaper than paying PT, go to eBay or craiglist)
    * Bob Harper: Pure Burn Super Strength
    * ... the list go on

Online:
    * http://www.bodyrock.tv/ (my favorite)

I have the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises and a pair of 10lb dumbbells, and it's kicking my butt right now. Hopefully in a month or two, I can upgrade to heavier weights.

I've read New Rules Of Lifting for Women from the library, and I thought it had some really good advice, but I'm not interested in working with a barbell at this time.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options

Picture a sentence starting with 'Hey bro...I heard that...'

And you'll get the idea.

Got it!!