Can IV fluids really make me gain that much?!

Options
I started counting calories again about a month ago and have lost 15 pounds so far. Well, the other day I started feeling sick -- just generally ill -- weak, tired, and a little queasy at times. I almost passed out several times early Tuesday, so I went to the ER where they told me I was pretty dehydrated and gave me two bags of fluids. I went home, felt a little better, napped some more, and ate soup and toast for dinner. Over the past three days, I've managed to eat an average of 800 calories a day when I was feeling well enough to do so.

Stepped on the scale this morning to find that I've gained 9 pounds over the past week. I'm so frustrated. Could it be the IV fluids? I'm not entirely convinced, but maybe it's just the frustration talking.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Our bodies are made up mostly of fluid, around 70%,so yes the IV will have had impact on that 'gain' because it added much needed fluids to your body ...but its not fat gain unless you ate 31500 calories over your mainteanance/TDEE last week.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    yes
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me this week, and it was one of those times when calorie counting has really been a solace. I had a stomach bug and had to get rehydrated via IV. I had 400 calories on Saturday because my stomach was so upset that's all I could keep down and have been under my deficit goal by a little bit every day this week as I'm getting used to food again. So there's no way I could have gained the weight my scale is showing right now and I just have to trust that it will go away once my body is healed. Easier said than done, I know!
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    If you have had a disorder like bulimia and need to gain weight, this place is not for you. In fact, it may cause more harm than good.

??? I had a stomach bug this week. I used to struggle with bulimia several years ago, but am healthy (except for excess weight) now.

• emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me this week, and it was one of those times when calorie counting has really been a solace. I had a stomach bug and had to get rehydrated via IV. I had 400 calories on Saturday because my stomach was so upset that's all I could keep down and have been under my deficit goal by a little bit every day this week as I'm getting used to food again. So there's no way I could have gained the weight my scale is showing right now and I just have to trust that it will go away once my body is healed. Easier said than done, I know!

Thank you. It's just so disheartening to work so hard and step on the scale one day only to feel like you've ruined everything and don't understand how or why. I guess it upsets me more knowing that Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and I had plans of going over my calorie limit and just enjoying the holiday. Now I don't know if I want to risk it! Haha

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes...after my surgery I was up 5lbs from excess fluid and the gas...(apparently not all gas is weightless)

Give it a bit and it will be fine.

But a piece of advice too...scale weight is only one indicator of how you are doing with this whole weight loss thing. Losing weight means all weight...muscle, fat, fluid...and as a woman you are going to have ups and downs but the main thing for you to look at is the trend.

For example if you eat out at a Chinese place...sodium hello...water retention...scale goes up...but only for a bit....or new exercise...or Time of the month...

Make sure that you are using another measure as well for your success...such as a tape measure or taking comparision pics or clothing size or all of them.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Each bag of fluid is a kg.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    When you’re injured or ill, your body needs calories to heal. I generally think it’s better to aim for maintaining until you feel better, and definitely just enjoy Thanksgiving. If the scale is driving you nuts (even though I’m sure you know it’s water not fat!) maybe try not weighing yourself or a bit? You really, really aren’t going to ruin anything by resting up for another week or two, but you can prolonged your illness by not taking care of yourself. I have a suspicion that you’ll probably see a pretty significant drop on the scale once you’re feeling better.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It's all water weight. Since you were dehydrated, I'd assume you're going to hold to *some* of that weight, but I'd doubt all 9 pounds. IV saline is heavy, and I know when I needed it in the past, I would quickly gain weight, and then it would come off. You're especially noticing the jump because you were dehydrated, so your body is going to be more apt to hold on to it since it doesn't know that it's going to keep getting fluid.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    IV fluids replaces sodium. IV fluid does have sodium in them because dehydration is just that...loss of sodium....so if you are sensitive to salt there will be a gain but it will be temporary. Drink plenty of water and you will be back to normal!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Last time I was hospitalized (fever of unknown origin, how weird is that) they gave me IV hydration for three days and my arms and face looked like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man. I probably was up 8 to 9 lbs, all water weight, and it was gone in under a week. It'll pass, don't worry!