C25K- how important are the off days?

Options
Hello everyone,

I have just started the c25k plan. it shows 3 pieces of training per week. how important is it to train only 3 times a week? can I do more than just 3?
and if I finish the training for week 1 before it ends, can I start with week 2?

thank you :smile:

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular fitness improves quite rapidly, so greater than three days per week is perfectly reasonable. On the other hand those physiological improvements related to weight bearing improve more slowly and increasing the number of days is more likely to lead to an overuse injury.

In the main C25K forum on the daily check in the there are lots of examples of people who've ignored the plan and gone silent about half way through.

I'd the moon running days for something like resistance training of some kind, swimming, cycling etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, the rest days are important. You need them.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Follow the plan as designed otherwise you are no longer following a plan. Just starting out you will find rest/recovery days quite important to your running progress!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    even after being into exercise (running included) for over 4 years I do rest days. They are important esp when starting out.

Do the c25k as it is designed...
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It is so very important, to take rest days, trust me, the last thing you want is an injury & WTG for starting C25K, your going to love what it does for your mind body & soul! Cheers to you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you are completely new to exercise and this is the program you are following, take the rest days. If you have an established fitness base and are adding running to the mix, you can probably get away with doing other things on the "rest" days of C25K but don't completely eliminate all rest days.
  • kickassical
    kickassical Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done the program twice, once 5 years ago (completed it) and once about a year ago (got out of shape, but then didn't complete it because running just came back to me pretty easily after the first few weeks of the program) both times I would do rest days when i felt like it. worked for me. really depends on you. the rest days help psychologically if you're opposed to running imo. as a side note, i am now on day 22/23 of a running streak which means you run at least 1 mile a day everyday, with no break. people do this all the time and are fine.

I will say you should not increase your overall distance to rapidly but the program doesn't do that even if you do it nearly everyday.

obviously none of us are professionals so if you're really concerned consult a doctor.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @rolaasad The rest days are very important. That's when your body heals and recovers from the new stress you are placing on it. So on your Running Rest Days do a complimentary exercise routine, yoga, swim, bike, weights, cross fit etc. Overall it is important for a complete rest day - no structured exercise - like I mentioned in the first line that is when your body heals. If you don't let your body heal that's when the dreaded overuse injuries creep up on you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you're asking if you can do 6 day weeks instead of 7, the answer is yes.

If you're asking if you can skip rest days and do sessions back to back, the answer is no.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're asking if you can do 6 day weeks instead of 7, the answer is yes.

If you're asking if you can skip rest days and do sessions back to back, the answer is no.

Right.

When I say observe the rest days in a 3 day a week running plan, I mean don't run on the days when you are not supposed to run. Doing something else on those days may be fine. When I did C25k, I alternated days with bodyweight training and had one no exercise day per week.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I run on the 3 run days and walk on the other 4 - C25k wk 7 now
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Walking or bicycling or swimming are good alternatives for your rest days. So are weights, pilates or yoga. Your muscles need to heal between sessions so they can get stronger. Your bones and tendons take longer to get used to the impact of running than your heart and lungs, so while it may feel easy (especially at first) it still takes time to strengthen those. Doing too much too soon will get you injured, so take your time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... none of us are professionals...

That's a bold assumption... You never know if someone giving the advice might be a qualified coach or not.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The first 2-3 weeks might seem too easy for you so you are eager to push ahead. That will change soon enough. Do c25k on 3 alternating days and do something else on the other days. Strength training is a great option. Good job!
  • RulaAsaad
    RulaAsaad Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! Everytime i post a thread im surprised by all the support and information i gain ❤

I'm plannining on adding cardio kickboxing class and a day of swimming one day total off... sounds ok?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm the dissenting voice here. When I started C25K I'd already been walking 5 mornings a week, with some running mixed in. I did 5 days a week all through the program, just repeating days 1 & 3 on 2 & 4. I did have to take a week off, but that was more because the shoes I had were not good for me and gave me shin splints. It wasn't until I was done that I figured out the shoes thing (so if you haven't had a gait analysis done, have one done at a good running store).

Now I run 3 days a week, lift 2 days (maybe doing 3) and swim one day (plus 1 or 2 short swims if I feel like it mid week).

Having said all that, I would really recommend you lift on the off days instead of added cardio. It will help you keep what muscle you have as you lose weight (assuming you are trying to lose). I didn't start until August and wish I had started sooner.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    rolaasad wrote: »
    Thank you all so much!! Everytime i post a thread im surprised by all the support and information i gain ❤

I'm plannining on adding cardio kickboxing class and a day of swimming one day total off... sounds ok?

@rolaasad Sounds good. Like C25K if you are new to these activities take the time to build a base of strength/endurance and then continue to slowly increase the workload.
    As a friend/coach once said " an Olympic Athlete didn't walk into the Stadium and compete - it took a lot of small incremental steps to get to the Stadium ". For me the most important part of complimentary cross training was finding activities and groups that I enjoyed - that helps keep the fun in going.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm the dissenting voice here. When I started C25K I'd already been walking 5 mornings a week, with some running mixed in. I did 5 days a week all through the program, just repeating days 1 & 3 on 2 & 4. I did have to take a week off, but that was more because the shoes I had were not good for me and gave me shin splints. It wasn't until I was done that I figured out the shoes thing (so if you haven't had a gait analysis done, have one done at a good running store).

Now I run 3 days a week, lift 2 days (maybe doing 3) and swim one day (plus 1 or 2 short swims if I feel like it mid week).

Having said all that, I would really recommend you lift on the off days instead of added cardio. It will help you keep what muscle you have as you lose weight (assuming you are trying to lose). I didn't start until August and wish I had started sooner.

I'd bet it wasn't just the shoes that gave you shin splints.

Running increases much more force on the legs than walking.

Bones and muscles need rest to get stronger in the healing process.

http://theconversation.com/what-exercise-does-to-your-bones-57524
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Doing too much running too soon without adequate rest breaks will also give you shin splints.