What to do when very few calories are left for dinner?

Replies

• Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    I try to plan my meals in advance, but sometimes things happen. If I don’t have enough calories for dinner I just skip it. Probably not the healthiest option but that’s what I do. I’d rather eat earlier in the day.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    a nice rye and ginger for me.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Eat the 220 calories and be hungry until the next day when it's time to eat again. I had this problem when I started counting calories and using that method, I quickly learned to correctly budget or pre-log so I didn't end up hungry.
  • caribchic
    caribchic Posts: 213 Member
    Egg drop soup.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited November 2017
    spiralize a zucchini, steam for 3 mins and top with hot sauce
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Usually.... I just say fk it and go over. I'm not the best person to give advice here because my weight loss is super slow.

Soup is a good low calorie option though, I'll occasionally have that. Or just try to under-eat the next day if I go over. Or I might drink coffee to suppress my appetite.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    How many calories in total do you aim for in a day?
    What is your normal distribution - how many for breakfast, lunch, dinner and do you work in snacks as well?
    Does the way you have your calories distributed fit with your lifestyle, does it fill you up at the right time of day?
    Do you exercise? If so, do you log and eat back those calories?
    How often does this happen where you are running short on calories for dinner?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    I count calories weekly, so I don’t have a problem being over in a given day. But, if I do go over on a given day I’m super conscientious not to do so two days in a row.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Another vote for a big salad. I will boil up an egg or two if I have room, and a little shredded cheese. If I don't have the room for a dressing I will use lemon juice.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    If I had a huge lunch, then I'm usually not super hungry at dinner. Fat free unsweetened Greek yogurt with a little homemade jam is what I'd have. Or protein fluff.
  • weighmeless
    weighmeless Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2017
    I exercise..especially like jogging for 30 mints at low intensity can actually add about 150-175 calories. That's what happened last night. i added on calories like crazy in hours before bed but had eaten less. so I was left with 150-190 cals deficit after dinner though. so I jogged for an hour and ended up adding abou 320 cals leaving a deficit of 520 cals for the day which is what i am aiming at .

For breakfast i have my 2oz milk added tea with lots of water adding up to 5oz in total with a tsp sugar.I eat either banana or apple there after..that takes care of breakfast because it makes you so full. if hungry again , its banana or apple - whichever was not eaten during breakfast. so well under 215 calories for breakfast and yet filling.

the heavy breakfast concept doesn't work with me.. i end up eating more calories the day i eat a heavy breakfast. Banana-apple works because its high in fiber.
  • Cornettmw
    Cornettmw Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2017
    Solid white albacore(small can) with 1tbs light mayo and 1 tbs sweet pickle relish. 190 Calories, 6g Fat, 6 Carbs, 29g Protein, 545mg Sodium, 4g Sugar. Surprisingly filling but a little high on the sodium, so if you are watching that beware; other than that, Tuna is a half step below a super food. Top with cold water(to drink) you won't go to bed hungry.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    geltner1 wrote: »
    Some days, after I log in breakfast and lunch, there are 200 calories left for dinner. How do you manage that?

[1] Go over and make it up tomorrow. (I'm guessing you probably ate out for lunch or something unusual to be out of calories).
    [2] If not bc of an unusual event and just because of a low-calorie allowance, then start pre-planning the day earlier on.
    [3] If sticking to 200 calories, I'd probably have a bowl of veggies (~120 cal worth--should be a large-ish volume) and some cottage cheese (~80 calories worth) or an 80 calorie portion of chicken salad. or something similar. Or a 200 calorie bowl of pea soup with ham (the high fiber in the split peas makes them pretty filling for the calories).

FYI- my pre-planned dinner (I'll be having a large supper later on at the salsa potluck):
    lz4w9zqcqtsa.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Soup, bowl of oatmeal, or salad topped with tuna salad, no dressing.
    I'm so glad you asked this question. So many good answers!! I have lots of new ideas.
  • ritzvin
    another example:
    lqgzjv7zxdwd.png

(an entire bag of sugar snap peas and a large-ish portion of chicken salad... smaller chicken salad portion and/or only half the bag would get it down to or close to 200).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I prelog my food for the day every morning.
    I eat about the calories for meals every day so dinner is usually around 500 calories and breakfast is 100-300.

You could eat a very big plate of salad/vegetables for 200 calories.
    A couple of eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, half a sandwich, cottage cheese are some other options.

• ritzvin
    Leafy greens have very low calories for the volume, so they would be ideal as the vegetable - so a salad with just some balsamic vinegar and some meat would work.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    If I can, I'd go for a run. If it's too late, I'd just go over on calories. I frequently do. Fortunately, I am somewhat under calories often enough my weight is stable.