Emotional Stress Eating

Options
So I'm just wondering how other people deal with the urge to stress eat. I know I shouldn't, and it's not helpful, especially since I have a very emotionally taxing job (I'm a child therapist for high risk youth) so it's not just random days here and there, I'm usually feeling stressed at the end of the day, with my caseload, there's always someone in crisis or at high risk, and even with really distinct efforts at better time management, there's always something I'm behind on.

That said, my go to coping skill has always been food, ranging from just nibbling on snacks at work to actively seeking out unhealthy food at a convenience store nearby on bad days. I've never really found exercise to make me feel better in that same way, even when I was training for long distance rides and things, and my attempts at distracting hobbies have resulted in a pile of half started craft projects.

Any advice from the peanut gallery on breaking the bad habit and suggesting on other ways you've found to deal with your high stress days?

Replies

• artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That's a toughy. I must admit I've often wonder how people who do the work you do cope with the stress. I stress eat and don't deal with the stress you have to deal with! But I think truly the only healthy answer is activity. And as with any bad habit, it's going to be hard to break. Can you make a plan to wean yourself off? Allow for a small bag to treats after the brisk walk (or whatever activity you choose). Don't go cold turkey, that's just cruel to yourself. I agree with above poster, best if you make your intention, "this is what's best for me". I wouldn't have intention be "losing weight", because in moment of temptation, that goal has never helped me, rather makes me resentful. But doing things that are good for me and makes feel good, that's motivation.
  • princessjenn1804
    princessjenn1804 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Pediatric ER nurse he so I understand the struggle! I really have an issue with stress eating (and celebration eating, and well just eating in general) I have found that going to a fun gym class helps. I always tell myself that if I go to the class and I still feel like I need to stress eat then I can. However, it never fails, if I go I don't feel that need anymore.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I had a high stress job a bit similar to yours. I was a public defender. Actually I was a social worker for a while before law school. Just a parade of broken people, broken hearts, negativity in both jobs. Not managing stress got me to 285lbs.

Exercise worked for me I guess. You say it's not the same? Not as good? I would get home from work, have a planned snack and the head for the gym, or my alternative basement workout.

If this did nothing else, it kept me busy at a very bad time for snacking. After work I was either going to drink, eat, eat & drink or exercise. So exercise was by far my best choice. Then for a while after exercise I tried .5mg Ativan.

Not great choices? Better than the heart attack I was going to have.

I like the yoga suggestion. I had various relaxation CDs, guided meditations, classical music, relaxing piano, guitar. There's loads of stuff for trying to help people relax. I went to counseling for a while. Guess I'm suggesting you try everything and anything.

Truth is, if hunger isn't the problem food isn't the answer.

Sorry but you describe eating junk food and snacks as your coping skill. Is it coping or disfunction? Really. Take care, good luck.

One other thing, do you find that the only thing you can do at the end of the day is watch TV? You watching House Hunters or more "reality" show disfunction?
  • frugalbushbunny
    frugalbushbunny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I feel lime you guys have me all beat for stressful jobs.... I'm a full time SAHM and run a garden CSA in the Spring/Summer/Fall ....although my hubby has a great paying job starting this business has been financially taxing....along w/ the stress of growing food when you have already presold it....this past Summer all went wrong. Hens stopped laying, insect infestations, hail, not enougg rain and animals eating my crops...please some @$$holes who felt the need to "well if you did.....then this wouldn't......" anywho....I've always stressed eat & as I'm just past my 30s now I really want to stop. I just can't seem to kick the habit
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    That's a toughy. I must admit I've often wonder how people who do the work you do cope with the stress. I stress eat and don't deal with the stress you have to deal with! But I think truly the only healthy answer is activity. And as with any bad habit, it's going to be hard to break. Can you make a plan to wean yourself off? Allow for a small bag to treats after the brisk walk (or whatever activity you choose). Don't go cold turkey, that's just cruel to yourself. I agree with above poster, best if you make your intention, "this is what's best for me". I wouldn't have intention be "losing weight", because in moment of temptation, that goal has never helped me, rather makes me resentful. But doing things that are good for me and makes feel good, that's motivation.

^this - I never tell myself not to have something because I am trying to lose weight. Rather that having extra carbs or cakes affects my digestion and can impact sleep, meaning my workout plan the next day will suffer. Or my IBS will kick in in extreme carb overload!
    When I feel the need for a cigarette (less and less now - habits can be broken :D ) I remind myself that it took 2 years to return to 'best' swimming capability and I only ever really smoked 5 a day tops!

It takes a while but now I really believe that doing something productive, be it activity or hobby is better for me than a cake! even listing stuff that needs to be done is better as it helps organise my thoughts. Cake can't do that! :D
  • jlove618
    jlove618 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So I completely understand the stress eating struggle. I've had an insane personal life over the last 2.5 years, have a full time and a part time job, and am in graduate school. I have found that while exercise is helpful long-term/overall, it doesn't always help with that immediate desperate desire for control and stress relief. What I have found to be most helpful in those situations is mindfulness (both mindfully eating -giving your full attention to the fact that you are eating-, and being mindful that I am stressed and wanting a dopamine release), shamelessly logging everything I put in my mouth (which helps with the awareness), and trying to keep healthy snacks around to keep the calories lower.

Stress eating is a really difficult habit to break and recognizing your own personal patterns is really an incredible step in the right direction. I'd say, start trying to recognize what you are doing before you do it so that you can build in some agency and make the decision about whether/how/the extent to which you want to indulge. Some people find it easier to go cold turkey, but personally, I find this more stressful. Be kind to yourself!

Hope this helps <3

• gwenifred
    gwenifred Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! Looking for friends that log consistently and looking for inspiration and food ideas. I've logged for 700+ days, but I'm an emotional eater so my diary isn't always pretty. I'm still struggling to lose weight even though I log daily. Would love to offer & receive support, feel free to add me.
  • kayla25mfp
    kayla25mfp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to stress eat. I would binge till it hurt and I knew it was emotional eating but I didn’t know how to stop.

I still occasionally stress eat, but I never binge anymore, and I’m able to stop much faster.

Before I couldn’t think when I’d do this, I would just eat and feel stressed and then worse because I was binging.

Now, I’ve learned to stop and ask myself what I really want. Take the time to find an honest answer. Do you need a break from the craziness? Are you tired and needing sleep? Do you need affection from another person? What is your body or soul truly starving for?

Acknowledge this. If possible, give it what it needs. But if not, embrace the fact that it’s hard and you are missing that and realize that food ultimately can’t replace what you really need.

It takes time and practice, but it gets easier and easier to pinpoint what you really are looking for and acknowledge that food can’t fill that hole.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    46fl74kgjcui.jpeg

Explains perfectly and had helped conquer my nightly binge eating!!!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I too have a high stress job (lawyer for a bunch of judges). I frequently deal with it by exercising.

This isn't the best input but a recent/ongoing non-work stress is causing me problems right now because my best coping mechanism is gone. When the doctors told me "no exercise" while waiting for some biopsy results, I just had to forgive myself and move on. If I had practiced mindful eating I'd probably have done a better job, but I'll get past this. The thing I have done right is to follow my plan and macros even when I know I'm eating my stress, if that makes any sense. (Like it somehow makes it better that the stress eating wasn't sugar and pizza, but again, in the spirit of being kind to myself, I kept to my macros). The other thing I did that helped me was that I was consciously aware that I was stress eating, so I set a limit and made myself get up, get the item in question (helloooooo peanut butter, almonds, or cheese!), take a 1/2 portion, sit down elsewhere to eat it, and if I wanted more I had to get up and repeat. That way the behavior would be obvious not only to me but to my husband, who I shared my concerns with. He knew that I was stress-eating, too, and was encouraged to call me out on it.

I haven't been great about it, but I'm not perfect, and I have no choice but to forgive myself. I'll know the answer on the pending scariness today, which should help, and tomorrow's 5K should help also, assuming I get my favorite coping mechanism back today.

I absolutely love the response above about eating with your stomach not your heart. I'm going to write that on a sticky note for my computer monitor, the fridge, and the pantry. It can't hurt. Best of luck to you, keep fighting for your health.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Oh god yes! Ive lost 130 lbs and even through that, the whole time I’ve struggled with binge behaviors. I still have times where something will happen or I’ll feel anxious and I just need to blow off some steam. It’s nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I get right back up the day after and continue as usual the next day now instead of laying down depressed for a week or more, continuing the binge and gaining more. I know that life will always throw some craziness my way, so I work hard every day to thicken my skin. I kind of consider that my (armor) so when I face plant, I have a store of calories and muscle to kind of protect me. Then right after I fall, I get right back up and rebuild my armor for the next fall.