Success stories and Flip Flopping

Options
I have a very bad habit of flip flopping plans based on other people's success. I have friends on 3 different health and fitness forums that I communicate with regularly. And it always happens that when I see one person doing well on Plan A I do that until I see someone with better results from Plan B then I switch, and on and on. But I'm never on one thing long enough to make a noticeable difference. I know it all boils down to CICO in a sustainable manner. But I don't seem to be in a deficit long enough to do that.

A post I read said people can get so bombarded by other's success that sometimes they forget their own progress and what works for them. And that's how I feel. Just totally lost. I'm lost in indecision meanwhile I'm gaining. I'm still exercising, but if I can just get my portions under control it would be a start.

Can anyone else relate to this?

Replies

• kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, you should really only focus on yourself. I know that’s easier said than done, but your success is going to be individual and unlike anybody else’s.

My success came from learning my own body and not looking at anyone else. Except Richard Simmons. Lol.

I used the motto, moving is better than not moving.. so I just started moving when I wasn’t moving. I looked at all the time I spent sitting, and instead of sitting still, I got into the habit of stretching during tv or movie time, then stretching turned into yoga, and dumbbells or whatever exercise toy I brought in. Creating opportunity to challenge your body when you aren’t even thinking about it, creating habits.. that’s all you. Not anyone else.. it’s a relationship with yourself that’s almost impossible to share with anyone.
    One thing I learned on my journey is, never count on another soul to help you with your personal health, because if they, for any reason stop, you’re screwed. Ever since I took total control of my health, I succeeded. But I never look around.. only inward.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I lost the last 40lbs on Weight Watchers. Not plugging WW. But when I started I decided- I'm concentrating on WW. If information about diet doesn't come from WW or my Doc, I'm not doing it. I was struck by how much stuff this allowed me to ignore. A big relief.

People in our lives, media, advertising, everyone has something to say about weight loss. I had to fight a big internal battle with misinformation I picked up from advertising.

You're right, it's CICO, monitored with tracking over enough time. But everyone wants to add their tweaks. CICO gluten free, or sugar free or and run a 5K next month. All fine ideas but added complications that make it more difficult to stay on plan.

Why don't you write out your plan and agree with yourself on a test period? Say 6 weeks. This will be your plan. If it's not working, modify it, it's still your plan. Make your modifications small as possible to get a downward trend, and commit to another test. It's all one big experiment but it's the only PLAN you will need.