Brown Rice...

Options
... How do you eat yours?

Last time I tried to lose weight we tried eating brown rice and tbh it tasted like mud! I want to be able to enjoy it as a healthy(er) alternative to white rice etc.

So tell me, how do you enjoy yours?

Replies

• Zolita
    Zolita Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I cook it with a stock cube in the water, seems to lift it a lot.
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How i learned to eat brown rice : First i got the Uncle ben's boil in a bag brown rice-its sooo good, my husband tried it last night, and he cant tell a difference thats what he said, and it tastes yummy...i eat rice usually with some kind of side dish, vegetables, chicken, etc. also seasoning your food with different seasonings helps a LOT!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i usually stir fry it with some olive oil and veggies. or just boil is and mix in steamed veggies. i also may add a little bit of parm cheese.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    my favourite recipe :)

Mixed bean & brown rice salad, serves 4

Brown Rice 1 cup uncooked
    Parsley - Raw, 1 cup
    Red Onion, Medium, sliced
    Five Bean Mix , 1 can
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 4 Tablespoon
    Green Beans, 1 cup, cooked
    Dijon/wholegrain Mustard, 1 tablespoon
    Cherry Tomatoes, 1 punnet (250 gs ea.)
    White Wine Vinegar, 2 Tablspoon

Per Serving: 427
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I agree add a stock cube, the Kallo one's are great organic and low in salt. I have it with a chilli sauce too.
  • GettingFitterVicki
    GettingFitterVicki Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE brown rice! I find it's best when it's been soaked in cold water for at least an hour (more if you can) then just boiled on the hob for about 20 minutes. Nice and soft.
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    I mix it with sauteed onions and spinach. Or if you can find tamarind chutney to dip it in, the chutney makes everything taste great!
  • greensnow
    Options
    I like it now I never used to- I cook it in a rice cooker? Usually stirfry some veggies & tofu with chili, ginger, onion and some sort of asiany sauce. yum!
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like it now I never used to- I cook it in a rice cooker? Usually stirfry some veggies & tofu with chili, ginger, onion and some sort of asiany sauce. yum!

That sounds delish!

Oh man, we're moving house soon and I get a brand new huge cooker and lots of new appliances to cook with I can't wait!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

That sounds delish!

Oh man, we're moving house soon and I get a brand new huge cooker and lots of new appliances to cook with I can't wait!

That's awesome! I want a rice cooker! I SUCK at making rice, lol.
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I just get the minute brown rice. I put a little bit of butter in, and eat it just like that. The minute stuff is so good! And really easy. Cook for 5 minutes, let sit for five minutes. That's it!
  • Marietard
    Options
    brown rice can be awesome! i like cilantro lime rice, like at Chipotle - get any kind of boil-in-the-bag brown rice, add a few squirts of lime juice and chop up fresh cilantro and add it! Add a little sour cream and hot sauce if you want.
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I put an oxo vegetable stock cube in the rice cooker when it's cooking, and sometimes some onions, stir fry it with prawns and veggies, have it with hot sauce, put some egg in to make egg fried rice... so many possibilities and all yummy!
  • parvy123
    parvy123 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Can I ask... I eat wholegrain rice instead of brown rice as I was told that is even better for you? Anyone know the difference?
    Also, I agree with everyone, stock cubes, plenty of spices and herbs will lift the dullest dish - this goes for wholegrain couscous and quinoa too!
  • emmaldownie
    Options

That sounds delish!

I have a steamer that I use, so I cheat I guess :D

I have been known to burn huge pans of rice though!
    That's awesome! I want a rice cooker! I SUCK at making rice, lol.
  • emmaldownie
    Options
    Can I ask... I eat wholegrain rice instead of brown rice as I was told that is even better for you? Anyone know the difference?
    Also, I agree with everyone, stock cubes, plenty of spices and herbs will lift the dullest dish - this goes for wholegrain couscous and quinoa too!

Apparently.... there is no difference between "whole grain rice" and "brown rice."

In both cases - they describe rice grains that have only had their outer-most layer removed. That layer, called "the hull" or "the husk" is indigestible to people.

Directly below the husk is the bran layer - that is the brown layer on brown rice. There is nothing else to remove.

Brown/Whole Grain rice is never enriched. Enrichment is adding vitamins back onto white rice that were lost when it was polished into white rice. Since no vitamins were lost when hulling brown rice - there is no need to enrich it.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Go to food network online, and try Alton Brown's baked brown rice . I sub olive oil for butter, add onions,etc. Comes out perfectly, no rice cooker needed.
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I make mines with fat free/less sodium chicken broth instead of water. I add a little extra broth to make the rice more fluffy. I also add parsley to it.. Taste great!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    low sodium chicken bullion in the boiling water.
    I also do not buy the quick rice...I prefer the old school, take an hour to cook brown rice

I've also tried a little garlic salt in the water...very tasty
    and I've made the rice plain with a TBSP of light sour cream on it...very tasty..if you like sour cream.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    There are many kinds of brown rice... with vastly different tastes. Experiment!

Lundberg has some nice varieties - organic short grain brown and brown sweet. The brown sweet doesn't have as much fiber as standard (2 I think), but it's still a pretty darn good rice.

I find I prefer the short grain brown to long grain.

Also, you can find some fun multigrain mixes with various browns in it. Found one at Uwajimaya recently that had dried yams in it too. Was different but good!