Are soreen bars / malt loafs that healthy?

Options

Replies

• delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This thread has guaranteed I'm buying some Soreen tomorrow and whacking some butter on it. Omnomnomnom.

This. Malt loaf (and toasted fruit loaf) are heavenly slathered with butter and accompanied by a cuppa.
  • jordanblakejpgr
    jordanblakejpgr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This thread has guaranteed I'm buying some Soreen tomorrow and whacking some butter on it. Omnomnomnom.
    Nutritionally wise I don't know if Malt loaf is any different from any other cake, though it perhaps has a higher fibre content. It's delicious though, and low in fat (until you replace the fat by spreading on an inch thick layer of butter...it's the only way to eat it)

Does it go with peanut butter?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Adding malt loaf to my list of exotic foods to try.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally wise I don't know if Malt loaf is any different from any other cake, though it perhaps has a higher fibre content. It's delicious though, and low in fat (until you replace the fat by spreading on an inch thick layer of butter...it's the only way to eat it)

Does it go with peanut butter?

Never tried it but can't imagine I'd love the combo. It's a dense, moist fruit cake. Suppose you could try it. I'll stick to actual butter because traditionalist.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brit in Canada missing malt loaf. :'(

I can see I will be out at a specialty store spending an arm and leg buying one this weekend.
    I hope it freezes well.

OP. Eat your malt loaf with butter, log it and enjoy.

Personally I can't imagin it with PB, but I am not a PB lover unless it's in a satay sauce.

Cheers, h.

PS: being a Brit in North America means I am bilingual when it comes to processed crap- I can eat both B)
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    :D Nerves have been hit, no need to get all het up. Eat what you like OP...
  • VintageFeline
    Options

No nerve. Just genuinely want to know what you think is in food that we should be avoiding?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    PS. Doing a good deed for my neighbour and his mac, Soreen shall be purchased after.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

We don't have them here in the US, but this thread has made me crave dark sweet bread, so I think I'll be making some molasses bread soon!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No nerve. Just genuinely want to know what you think is in food that we should be avoiding?

Usually "hidden" sugarz.....'cause beetus.

I hate it when cakes (processed by me or otherwise) contain that hidden sugar. So shocking that a cake might have sugar! ;-)

Or in bread, hidden there too. I want unleavened bread, none of that sugar activated yeast nonsense!

Soreen purchased but I also purchased two slices of cheesecake after a day of good deeds. That shall be consumed first.

And @middlehaitch I checked the pack for you, you can freeze!
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Because this thread amused me, I'll pop out of my lurking to say that Soreen malt loaf is available on Amazon (and it's Prime eligible too). :) I've been inspired to try this.... anyone who has eaten it care to give a description to a hopeless American who is having a hard time imagining what it tastes like?

ETA: "deliciously squidgy energy" :joy:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    So anyone wanna do a 7 day malt loaf fast? :o

It's so long since I had one I almost could. Just a 24hr one though. Can I add cheese? Cheese goes so well with malt bread.

Cheers, h.