What's the thanksgiving food you skip out on?

Options

Replies

• LoveForWine
    LoveForWine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat all the food and drink all the wine:)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Chicken instead of turkey. No stuffing. No potatoes. Will eat anything homemade, taste anything I have not seen before. Will skip anything with cool whip, cream-of-anything soup.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie - yuck
    Candied yams - yuck

Turkey - meh.
    Mashed potatoes- meh
    stuffing- yum!!!!!!!!
    Sangria- Yum!!!!

So pretty much stuffing with a side of stuffing and wash it down with a glass of sangria.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Pie. Not worth the calories. Not a fan.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Skipping food? On Thanksgiving? I've been looking forward to NOT skipping anything for weeks! Bring it on! However-my appetite is much smaller so I will definitely eat smaller portions...of everything! I'm most looking forward to rolls, stuffing, and mashed potatoes w/gravy. Stuff I seldom eat anymore- and of course PIE! Yay! This splurge will carry me through until Christmas :D
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm the type of person who loves putting a little bit of everything on their plate. I've never met a Thanksgiving dish that I didn't like.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I WAS planning on skipping dessert so I could eat more mashed potatoes (I am NEVER in the skipping mashed potatoes camp as it's only at Thanksgiving that I bother with them) but then I found these vegan superfood muffins and cherry turnovers at Sprouts. And I bought BOTH of them. Oops. That will teach me to shop when I'm hungry. I literally intended to buy a tofurky roast, tofu, clementines, and apples.

So I stopped by my old boss's office and dropped off the turnovers for her and her kids (both her daughters work for her). I figure I spent 3.49 I didn't intend to but I saved 1120 calories that I otherwise would have been eating.

So tomorrow I'll be eating tofurky, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, roasted butternut squash, and a superfood muffin. It's just me so I'm skipping any kind of sweet potato (they're okay but I prefer the squash), a green salad (which I was thinking of making because we ALWAYS had salads at my mom's Thanksgivings but I eat tons of salad all year) and the peas and mushrooms I was going to make because it's just more fuss. I'm feeling low-key this year.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I did elect to skip the seafood and the crudité tray/board.

This is the first time in a decade I am cooking dinner (no joke - last time was 2007). All from scratch. So, yeah, I'm eating all of it.

Turkey, bread/herb stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, Parmesan crusted roasted asparagus, ginger pear cranberry sauce, yeast dinner rolls, and pumpkin pie with brandied whipped cream. One glass of semi-sparkling muscat on Thursday. Once cup coffee with cream.

What I won't be doing, is taking huge portions of any of it. I figure it will be 2-2.5K calories per meal, though. And I'll be eating the same dinner at least three days (8# turkey, half is mine).
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My grandma gets those hawaiian sweet rolls I cannot pass those up! Any other roll though I will skip.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Everything but the turkey. HATE thanksgiving food! Would much rather have the turkey with some fresh steamed green beans than potatoes ad stuffing :/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. I skip the meat. Just about everything else is good...except those candied yam things, those are nasty.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm keepin' it Keto: turkey, gravy & veggies with butter. I'm bringing an app I can eat; jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon.My splurge is going to be a couple nice glasses of organic red wine.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I always skip the pies and the stuffing because I don't like them. Unless it's my mom's pecan pie because that stuff is magic!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I have to opt out of turkey and traditional fixings because Mom doesn’t like turkey, so there’s no telling what will interest me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife's aunt is having everybody over. That's her kids and grandkids as well as her sister's kids and grandkids. Her sister, my wife's mother', passed away 10 years ago and my wife's father passed away a few weeks ago. This particular Thanksgiving might be the last time all the cousins get to see each other without a dead person in a box.
    I'll get to see one the cousins who launched her mfp journey after seeing me at my father-in-law's funeral.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This is my first thanksgiving as a vegetarian, so I’m skipping turkey in favor of a roasted acorn squash with pecans, butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. I’ll try everything that’s meat-Free. One slice of pie and limit of 2 glasses of Pinot Noir.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I usually skip the mashed potatoes.
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Green bean casserole. Never liked it so I'll pass on that. Everything else had better watch out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Green bean casserole :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We never had green bean casserole when I was growing up, and now I do a green bean dish with mushrooms and dill and some pine nuts that is part of the enormous amount of vegetables we end up having with Thanksgiving dinner. I wouldn't skip out on that! After playing around with various kinds of candied sweet potatoes and never finding one I liked, I dropped that and do roasted sweet potatoes, although occasionally someone brings some (and then I skip it).

Things that are required at our Thanksgiving dinner that I ignore are rolls and gravy (I'm just not that into gravy, like turkey without it and mashed potatoes with butter). And I usually skip pumpkin pie (or pecan if someone brings it), since I prefer apple. (Exception for this bourbon chocolate pecan pie a friend of mine sometimes makes, but that's never at actual Thanksgiving but the Thanksgiving in September event she hosts on Labor Day weekend.)