Calorie adjustments while recovering from injury?

Options
I stretched a tendon in my rotator cuff. Thought it would be OK to reduce my calories for the next week since the dr said to take it easy.

It hurts so much I don't even want to eat. But I feel all weak and shakey. Wondering if anybody knows what I should adjust my goal to. I was set to lose 2 lb per week. Just switched that to 1.5 but wondering if I should change it again.

Replies

• unfair_mom
    unfair_mom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have asked the dr yesterday. But I overheard them talking in the next room about how much I lost - trying to decide if it was too much. I felt so weird about it that I didn't want to bring it up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You should post what it is you will be taking it easy from that will effect your caloric intake.
  • unfair_mom
    Options
    Chieflrg - I work at a computer 6 hours a day, walk with an elderly neighbor about 1/5 mile, and roam around the yard with my dog because I am going stir crazy but even that much exercise is making my arm hurt and hand swell up. I was told to use my arm as little as possible for 7 days and not to reach for anything with it. ... I might see if I can borrow my grandmother's pedal thing. (Kinda like a stationary bike but you sit in regular chairs while you use it)

• unfair_mom
    Options
    I am usually pretty sedentary other than 45 minutes of walking.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Can you use a arm-sling without pain/swelling?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I would say still try to get up and walk around - but then again I'm not a doctor. I'm currently recovering from foot reconstruction...non-weight bearing until further notice. I thought I would be able to do upper body at least (I'm usually in the gym for 30-45 minutes of cardio and at least 2-hours of lifting per day) and so far it's been a week and I'm in far too much pain to even attempt to go into the gym. I kept my calories the same - maintenance at 1,400. Over the weekend and after surgery I didn't eat enough consistently throughout the day and when I did eat it was terrible stuff that my S.O. picked up, like pizza and wings -_- My goal as of now is to get back on track, eat at maintenance with a higher protein intake and more water than usual. I would suggest that. A week of taking it easy won't knock you off track, just continuously watch what you're eating and try to still get that walking in if possible.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I would reduce your goal even more for the time being - to 1.0 or even 0.5 per week. Your body is working on healing itself as you can see from the pain and swelling, give it the resources to do that. I broke my arm a couple of years ago and know how weirdly exhausted you feel. It doesn't seem like an arm could make you feel so bad, but it really does take a toll. Given that even short walks leave you with pain and swelling, I'd limit that for the time being as well.

I found my eating varying wildly--some days I wasn't hungry at all and other days I could eat anything that wasn't nailed down. I had to have surgery though, so I'm sure that played into my appetite swings as well. I ended up deciding that it was all good as long as I didn't gain, but it was also a more prolonged recovery than you're talking about. It was nearly a month before I was cleared to go back to work and two and a half or so before I could drive again!

Like the poster above said, a week isn't going to make or break you. I'd focus on doing everything you can to rest your shoulder and get healed up as fast as you can--don't risk having to deal with this even longer just for the sake of a a pound or two!
  • unfair_mom
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Trying to decide if I feel like driving far enough to get a sling. Luckily it is my right arm, so my daughter can ride in the passenger seat to turn the car on and shift for me :-)
  • unfair_mom
    Options
    - when I did eat it was terrible stuff that my S.O. picked up, like pizza and wings -_-
    I guess I should appreciate my S.O. He has been nice enough to fix whatever I ask for. (of course, I am trying to keep my requests pretty simple too. Sandwiches or something he can pop in the microwave or air fryer) ... I hope your recovery goes well!
  • unfair_mom
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like an arm could make you feel so bad, but it really does take a toll.

Shocking how many things seem to be tied to free use of your arms/shoulders. I almost lost my balance stepping over something because I couldn't swing my arm out to make up for how far I was leaning.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    A big scarf, pashmina or sarong should work well as a home-made sling. Google how to tie it. It's actually quite easy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    unfair_mom wrote: »
    I stretched a tendon in my rotator cuff. Thought it would be OK to reduce my calories for the next week since the dr said to take it easy.

It hurts so much I don't even want to eat. But I feel all weak and shakey. Wondering if anybody knows what I should adjust my goal to. I was set to lose 2 lb per week. Just switched that to 1.5 but wondering if I should change it again.

Eat at maintenance to let your body heal
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Trying to decide if I feel like driving far enough to get a sling. Luckily it is my right arm, so my daughter can ride in the passenger seat to turn the car on and shift for me :-)

Please don't do that.
  • unfair_mom
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Please don't do that.

Already did it. And it hurt more than I thought. That said, my daughter is almost old enough to drive. I let her do these things when my arthritis is bothering me. (Start the car, put it in reverse/drive, and adjust the air) We are in a small town and there are 3 houses on my street. Nobody cares if I block the road for 30 seconds while she shifts and checks that it is in the right position.
  • upbeatbirdie
    upbeatbirdie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You would want to adjust your kcal intake down a bit if you are more sedentary. As you said, you feel shaky and weak, so adjust it up a bit and increase your protein. Your doctor and nurses have had very little nutrition education. They do have a basic evaluation to determine if a sudden or recent weight loss is contributing to malnutrition. This is usually used for the elderly or those with eating disorders or depression. HOWEVER, yours is not due to malnutrition as you are TRYING to lose weight, and hopefully eating a balanced diet. A dietitian would recognize this. You will require a bit more protein during recovery as it will help in repairing your soft tissue damage. Vitamin C is also needed for tissue repair. Just take care that your protein sources are not loaded with saturated fat. Maybe eat more beans or very lean meats. 1/4 cup beans = 1 oz protein. Greek yogurt is higher in protein than many dairy products. Fat sources, such as seeds, like sunflower or pumpkin (pepitas) are higher in protein. When I pulled something in my shoulder my hand and lower arm were swelling. I used a sling and did not move my arm much until swelling went down. I took care not to sleep on that side either. I was in too much pain to even try working out since I was also dealing with an ankle issue. It hurt to even bend over and put the leashes on my dogs. Eventually, the swelling went down and it popped back into place and I was much better after a few days. I eased back into activity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Please don't do that.

Already did it. And it hurt more than I thought. That said, my daughter is almost old enough to drive. I let her do these things when my arthritis is bothering me. (Start the car, put it in reverse/drive, and adjust the air) We are in a small town and there are 3 houses on my street. Nobody cares if I block the road for 30 seconds while she shifts and checks that it is in the right position.

Cos that's all that could possibly happen... :huh:
  • unfair_mom
    Options
    You will require a bit more protein during recovery as it will help in repairing your soft tissue damage. Vitamin C is also needed for tissue repair. ... It hurt to even bend over and put the leashes on my dogs.

Thank you for all the good advice! All the delicious Thanksgiving leftovers ... I will be careful what I put on my plate so there is plenty of room for protein and vitamin C.