14 days no logging

Options
2»

Replies

• newhighnewlow
    newhighnewlow Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, for the responses. I think the struggle between what I know I *should* do, what I *could* do, and what happens if I'm not being neurotic/motivated will continue for some time...

but I'm trying a new tactic, starting yesterday, where I am going to try to log at maintenance. My goal is until new years. My hope is that getting "used to" eating at maintenance will help me make a normal amount a food a habit... because the only habits I have ever had before this are calorie surplus and calorie deficit.

this has the double benefit of a little accountability over the holidays. :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    fundamentally - food is still a reward, eating well is still a temporary phase, and and motivation is still best when it is to fix a big problem or achieve a major milestone.

Does food need to be a "reward", or can it be conceptualized primarily as fuel; fuel that ideally you enjoy eating and tastes good, but isn't a driving force in your life?

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

Although I understand the validity of this statement, I always tend to somewhat disagree with it. I think there should be a middle ground. I personally don't nor do I want to view food as merely a necessity in order to live. Food brings me enjoyment, I love tasting and eating good food, and I love socializing and eating with others. I would be a very sad me, if I lost that feeling.
  • newhighnewlow
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    fundamentally - food is still a reward, eating well is still a temporary phase, and and motivation is still best when it is to fix a big problem or achieve a major milestone.

Does food need to be a "reward", or can it be conceptualized primarily as fuel; fuel that ideally you enjoy eating and tastes good, but isn't a driving force in your life?

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

Although I understand the validity of this statement, I always tend to somewhat disagree with it. I think there should be a middle ground. I personally don't nor do I want to view food as merely a necessity in order to live. Food brings me enjoyment, I love tasting and eating good food, and I love socializing and eating with others. I would be a very sad me, if I lost that feeling.

Yes...some people pretend to be 100% rational, others pretend to be 100% emotional - I ignore both ends of the spectrum because I am in that middle area where some things are rational, others are emotional, and some things are both at once. If someone doesn't have the capacity to see the grey areas, then they don't have the capacity to speak meaningfully to me.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I lost 90 lbs using mfp and logging religiously. I entered maintenance and after about one year of maintaining and still logging religiously, I realized that my relationship with food was still pretty unhealthy and I think logging was making it worse. I was entering a cycle of “celebrating” and basically binging, and then jump back into logging and eating at a deficit. The cycle was happening more and more. So I decided to stop logging and see if I could change my habits. At first I was over eating when I stopped logging. It was that “if I don’t log it, I didn’t eat it” mentality. But after a couple weeks of that I sort of settled in to a new routine. That was March of this year that I stopped logging and I’m happy to say I’m still in my maintenance range and I do think my relationship with food as improved. It’s not perfect and I’ll probably always have to think about food and eating more than other people but I’m ok with that. I’m feeling pretty good about where I’m at now but I figure I’ll keep changing trying new things.
  • newhighnewlow
    Options
    Hey there! I lost 90 lbs using mfp and logging religiously. I entered maintenance and after about one year of maintaining and still logging religiously, I realized that my relationship with food was still pretty unhealthy and I think logging was making it worse. I was entering a cycle of “celebrating” and basically binging, and then jump back into logging and eating at a deficit. The cycle was happening more and more. So I decided to stop logging and see if I could change my habits. At first I was over eating when I stopped logging. It was that “if I don’t log it, I didn’t eat it” mentality. But after a couple weeks of that I sort of settled in to a new routine. That was March of this year that I stopped logging and I’m happy to say I’m still in my maintenance range and I do think my relationship with food as improved. It’s not perfect and I’ll probably always have to think about food and eating more than other people but I’m ok with that. I’m feeling pretty good about where I’m at now but I figure I’ll keep changing trying new things.

this is the most inspirational and helpful thing I have ever read on MFP. I think you and I may have some similar thought and action patterns (and may also be outliers relative to the rest of MFP). Thank you for sharing!