Keto diet

Options
Hey does anyone have tricks to making keto easy. Do you really have to count macros?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hey does anyone have tricks to making keto easy. Do you really have to count macros?

I mean. Obviously. Keto requires low carb so yes youd have to count macros for it. Especially to learn at the start. But its not necessary and if you find it hard probably not going to work for you. Calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Do it in whatever way you naturally find easy so you can stick to it, Shouldnt need to go in search of tips to make complete diet overhauls easy, It simply should be naturally for long term sustainability. Just eat less
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Keto relies on hitting a specific range for macronutrients, so I think it would be hard to do without counting them.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You don't have to count macros to lose weight.
    You do have to count macros to do keto.
    You don't have to do keto to lose weight (some people just find it easier to stay at a calorie deficit doing keto), so if you don't want to count macros, just focus on calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

You probably need to count macros at first to get a good idea of how to keep carbs below 20-50g a day. It helps you to get an idea of what foods are higher in carbs, and what plant based foods you can eat more or less of.

Once you get the hang of it, there is no need to count macros. Many can wing it. I do. It's like counting calories: some need to count to lose weight but others can estimate and get an approximate caloric deficit without counting. There is no need to count calories but it can be useful. KWIM?

Good luck.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, track macros and calories. When you become familiar enough with food to be able to stay below about 50g/day net carbs (this is what you should target for nutritional ketosis), then you may be comfortable no longer tracking carbs.

If you plan on using keto exclusively to lose weight: As you get familiar with foods and their content, you might find that you are naturally eating at a deficit without counting calories.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You would definitely have to count carbs if you are doing keto. Keto is about keeping your carbs low enough so your body will burn stored fat for energy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ptrcmcc6 wrote: »
    You would definitely have to count carbs if you are doing keto. Keto is about keeping your carbs low enough so your body will burn stored fat for energy.

All diets (including keto, when you have a calorie deficit too) are about keeping calories low enough so that you burn stored fat for energy. And you necessarily will, no matter how many carbs you are eating, if the calorie deficit exists. And, similarly, you will not if you do not have a calorie deficit (except in certain cases where you are eating at maintenance and exercising in a way that leads to recomp).

I pretty much agree with nvsmomketo -- really keto is about having carbs below 50 g or so, which normally causes people to go into ketosis. At first you would want to count carbs and watch macros to make sure (1) carbs are low enough, (2) protein is at a good level (it's unlikely at a calorie deficit it will be so high as to prevent ketosis, so IMO the goal with protein is the same as with any diet -- high enough to maintain muscle mass), and (3) that you are getting enough fat, which can be hard to judge at first. And connected with all of this, that your total calories make sense.

After a while, when you get a sense of what your normal foods are and how much equates to your calorie, protein, and carb goals, probably no need to watch macros. (But that's the same with any other macro-based way of eating if one does not enjoy counting/logging.)
  • JonnyKowalczyk
    JonnyKowalczyk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds on keto in two weeks, i was just cutting before a big bulk and wanted to try it as a way to lose fat, i was testing my urine and was heavily in ketosis, i was losing fat probably too fast and i felt awful and eventually decided it wasn't for me as i want to gain as much muscle as quickly as i can, ill tell you a few things i found useful though sorry for the bad grammar lol. to get into ketosis quickly during induction or after cheating (which you really shouldn't be doing on keto) i would have a keto coffee made with a tablespoon of coconut oil and butter blended until emulsified, after that coffee i wouldn't eat a single thing until my dinner time - this really did help my body to burn fat as energy and not crave carbs, i like an alcoholic drink and i found out through some research that hard booze such as rum is actually beneficial for getting into a deeper state of ketosis and the morning after i drank a full bottle with diet coke i had the strongest ketone presence i have ever had! bonus right there. I would count macros if i where you as you NEED like 5000 and ive seen people even say 7000 mg of sodium or trust me you will feel like you are dying from loss of electrolytes. Take POTASSIUM and MAGNESIUM supplements or again feelings of death - potassium is extremely important on keto and most people on a normal diet arent even getting enough, ive taken a lot of research learnt about keto and added it to my normal diet and i have improved circulation from taking l - arganine in all the paces you want blood pumping wink wink.

You need to count calories on keto if you want to lose weight, anybody saying different is plain wrong, you must be in a calorific deficit its as simple as that - fat has 9 calories per gram and carbs and protein have 4 - in the induction phase as you are getting adapted it is more important to get enough fat and less to count calories but depending on your goal you will need to. sorry for the rant im just bored and trying to help.

oh and once you are fully keto adapted, you start to cut fat out of your diet because your body will be pulling the fat your not eating from your stored body fat to use as fuel, remember to much protein can kick you out of ketosis too its called neoglucogenesis. well it would be if i could spell it.
  • JonnyKowalczyk
    JonnyKowalczyk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You don't have to do keto to lose weight (some people just find it easier to stay at a calorie deficit doing keto), so if you don't want to count macros, just focus on calories.

at first you do need to count macros, especially if you haven't done it before because you need to be staying under 20 gram of net carbs and aiming for 80 percent of calories to be coming from fat, you also need to keep protein lower at maybe 70 grams or Neoglucogenesis can turn extra protein into glucose kicking you out of ketosis.

you can also minus fibre content from vegetable carbs thus making sure you are getting plenty of nutrients and im not sure how anybody could do all of these things without knowing the macros.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah it never occurred to me that just like anything else you can eventually get a feel for what you need to eat to stay in ketosis, that makes sense!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

at first you do need to count macros, especially if you haven't done it before because you need to be staying under 20 gram of net carbs and aiming for 80 percent of calories to be coming from fat, you also need to keep protein lower at maybe 70 grams or Neoglucogenesis can turn extra protein into glucose kicking you out of ketosis.

you can also minus fibre content from vegetable carbs thus making sure you are getting plenty of nutrients and im not sure how anybody could do all of these things without knowing the macros.

Gluconeogenesis is more complicated than that, but unless you have a medical condition that causes gluconeogenesis to happen just because protein was consumed and is a available (I do), then it isn't a big concern to eat plenty of protein. 70g is a pretty low amount. Depending on activity type and level, one could go much higher and dietary protein would still be used for lean mass.
  • lesockie
    lesockie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a sample meal plan for a week or longer? I'm 186 lbs and probably wanting to target 1500 calories to burn this fat off!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This will generate sample plans for you at various calorie and macro levels: https://www.eatthismuch.com/