Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Will you log foods on Thanksgiving or no?

Options

Replies

• Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will. I log every meal everyday. Thanksgiving will be no different.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am a bit confused.
    On feasts I try to log using the "eyeball" technique (a scale and a graduated cylinder would be frowned upon in most social settings LOL) but I don't make even the slightest attempt to refrain myself from enjoying thoroughly... Call it a cheat or a carb-up or a refeed... Whatever.
    The point for me on those days is to still try to get an idea of what it does to my body composition over the next couple days. If I have zero data I can't make educated decisions in the future. Go ahead and have the next beer or crack open another bottle of wine... Slap on another giant spoon of mashed potatos with sour cream and butter, pour on the gravy, have seconds (or thirds) of dessert. Just log it all to the best of your ability when you have a few moments (while waiting for the coffee and Baileys maybe)
    That way you have a point of reference over the next few days to see the actual effect.

Not logging anything doesn't negate the macros (calories if you aren't quite as particular) you took in. You just won't have any idea how to expect your body to react at the next feast.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    OF COURSE.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'll log guesstimates just out of curiousity, but plan on eating whatever I want. Having a much smaller appetite now will prevent me from going completely insane- having these splurges to look forward to makes weight loss much more endurable for me- however, I will not be keeping leftover desserts in the house :'( - will send those home with someone.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd log it (though this year I won't be in the US on Thanksgiving), not because I have any intention of staying within my calories, but because I don't see the point in only tracking the 'virtuous' days. I like looking at the general trends and don't freak out about the occasional day when my calories spike. I can see how a day like that fits into the context of how I did over a whole week or month, for example.
  • Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I will probably pre-log it tomorrow but I'm not going to worry about it on Thursday.
    I'm running a 10k in the morning as well.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I lost my mind and signed up for a turkey trot :o First ever organized 5K. It's supposed to rain. I expect I will be useless starting directly after dinner.

YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Nope...I'll log in to keep my streak, but I' won't log. I'll be running in the afternoon, hiking on Friday, and lifting on Saturday so Thanksgiving will just go toward my gains.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I lost my mind and signed up for a turkey trot :o First ever organized 5K. It's supposed to rain. I expect I will be useless starting directly after dinner.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

:)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Nah, wouldn't be accurate since I'm not cooking.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I probably won't log, or if I do, it'll be a big guesstimate. Thanksgiving in my family has lots of people bringing over lots of different things - and everyone's "recipes" are incredibly unscientific.

• chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I probably will log as good as I can...it's hard to calculate calories in some of those items. I'm not too worried about the food though. It's going to be the wine that tips me over the calorie edge! Can't wait!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Already pre-logged my Thanksgiving dinner. I'm cooking so I control all the ingredients. My calorie allotment will go up, though, because I'm running a 10k turkey trot. I don't see the point of not logging. You ate it, you should log it, even if it has to be an estimate.
  • fritch_gets_fit26
    fritch_gets_fit26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am not logging my food, but I am going to be conscious of what I eat. I am bringing the mashed potatoes (which are my favorite), but instead of having them myself I am bringing a smaller thing of mashed cauliflower (cringe).

I am also working out that morning.
  • JasonMcS
    JasonMcS Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We had Thanksgiving with my wife's family this past Sunday. I tried to log it. I found it next to impossible. I tried to estimate what I ate and still find it hard to count exact calories in prepared food. Dressing??? Really How would you know as everyone makes it differently... I tried. I plugged it in and estimated high. I had a bite of pecan pie and some low fat banana pudding that has reduced calorie vanilla wafers and fat free cool whip... How would you know how much of what is in a cup of that stuff? Home made macaroni and cheese? Did they use whole milk? Velveeta cheese?

I just estimated high and worked it extra hard to make up the difference. So my answer is that I will log it but I won't let it make me crazy.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I will not be logging Thanksgiving, nor Christmas for that matter. I have learned through the years that it's not what happens between Thanksgiving and Christmas that makes a difference. It's what happens between Christmas and Thanksgiving...

Oh i've done a tooooon of damage that 1 month between thanksgiving and christmas! (But I have a history of binge eating so that explains it) I'm much better these days.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I will log. But, I'm not going away for the holiday this year, so that will be much easier and will make more sense. If I really want something, I'll have it, but I will log. Next year, when I do go to see extended family, no guarantees. :)