Keto Diet...

Options
Hey, I’m sure this is an overlapping topic and I’m sorry I didn’t search to see if it was..

Anyone have/had any experience with Keto? I’m open for all advise as I’m beginning this change of diet. I LOVE carbs, I fuel on Carbs and I crave carbs so it’s going to be challenging!

throw me some advise and tips you’ve experienced along the way. Food...recipes... all greatly appreciated!

Also- what is your favorite “fat bomb” I do have a bit of a sweet tooth also so if you know something Uber yummy please share.

Stay Motivated

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It's not magic, but if you want to try it then by all means go for it. I did it for a month and liked eating nothing but eggs, meat, and cheese, but I didn't feel great on it. I'm apparently in the minority.

If you just want to do it to lose weight faster, then stick with counting calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can do elimination short term. Short term gets me to weight loss.....but that's just the first step. I've lost & regained....no more short term for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you have decided on keto? What about being less strict and lowering your carb intake? I just ask because when you say "I fuel on carbs" makes me think you should at least keep some in especially around your workouts. I imagine in keto my lifting performance would be terrible. And for me, poor workouts means poor results
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I did the Atkins diet which is very similar and lost 45 pounds and kept it off for close to a year. I felt like that was the longest I could absolutely do it and not go insane, because I missed rice and potatoes and pasta. I eventually gained all the weight back and then some. The only thing that really works for me is counting calories and portion control, and I have accepted that this is what I must do to keep weight off always. I would never want to pick a diet that I could not do forever, especially after *decades* of yo-yoing. If you don't think you could do it for five, 10, or 15 years, don't do it for five days, five weeks or five months.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group. They have an amazing Launch Pad sticky with lots of info on the ketogenic diet. It may give you an idea of whether it is right for you.

Good luck.
  • Barry7879
    Barry7879 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This website has a lot of great info www.dietdoctor.com
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I love carbs and found its much more sustainable to lose weight while eating foods i love since it made it easier to transition to maintenance.
  • pumasareace
    pumasareace Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Is there a reason you have decided on keto? What about being less strict and lowering your carb intake? I just ask because when you say "I fuel on carbs" makes me think you should at least keep some in especially around your workouts. I imagine in keto my lifting performance would be terrible. And for me, poor workouts means poor results

Might be worth looking at some of the research as there are plenty of athletes who are keto and still perform from runners to MMA fighters and everyone in between.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Might be worth looking at some of the research as there are plenty of athletes who are keto and still perform from runners to MMA fighters and everyone in between.

Oh of course. But OP is the one that said it.. and I am mostly speaking for myself. Thanks.

Oh and bulking on keto.. ya not very optimal. Unless you have evidence otherwise