Books! what are some nutrition books that helped you?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Whether it's a specific diet manual, a book about nutrition, a cookbook, or a biography, is there a book that you found motivating, inspiring, informative, or that helped you understand more about nutrition?

I've found lots of links, but something about holding a book seems to make my academic brain go "oh this is important now" haha :p

I'm fully still experimenting myself, so if there's a book about vegan/vegetarian/low-carb/keto/whatever that you found absolutely amazing I'd totally be interested to hear about it!

ETA: and could you explain a little bit about why it's helped you/been so useful to you?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegan for Life by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina (IMO, the best resource for vegan nutrition)

The Endurance Diet by Matt Fitzgerald
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Diet Cults by Matt Fitzgerald. No BS. Just good information.

Cook This, Not That - I make 10-15 recipes from this little book.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Vegan for Life by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina (IMO, the best resource for vegan nutrition)

Awesome! What do you like about them? I swear I've actually heard of the first author name mentioned in passing, too!
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

My only disagreement with Diet Cults is that the author overestimates (in my opinion) the importance of exercise in weight loss - and I say that as a serious exercise nut. Broadly speaking though I think it's a great book.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

Awesome! What do you like about them? I swear I've actually heard of the first author name mentioned in passing, too!

I love the first book because Norris and Messina are evidence-based RDs, so they really focus on what research shows about how to meet your nutritional needs as a vegan. It also includes sample diets for different types of lifestyles/stages (different ages, more athletic, etc). They avoid a lot of the less supported or inflated claims you sometimes see in other vegan books/websites. I drew most of my knowledge about supplementation from their work (in addition to the book, Norris maintains an amazingly helpful website -- veganhealth.org). Messina has a follow-up book, Vegan for Her, that focuses on the specific nutritional needs women have, I like that one as well. They're really practical in their approach to nutrition and I think they make really good points about how unnecessary restrictions (very low fat diets, avoiding white flour/sugar, etc) can make it harder to be vegan and even sometimes compromise meeting nutritional needs.

I like Matt Fitzgerald's book for similar reasons (although he isn't vegan). His approach is a really common-sense one that focuses on performance while avoiding unnecessary restrictions or "purity" in how one eats. This book draws on his observation of elite athletes to draw out the commonalities in how they eat around the world and offers tips on how non-elite athletes can implement their diet principles into their own lives.
  • dewd2
    Options

My only disagreement with Diet Cults is that the author overestimates (in my opinion) the importance of exercise in weight loss - and I say that as a serious exercise nut. Broadly speaking though I think it's a great book.

I didn't really get that from the book but it has been a while since I read it. It does make sense though since he is a running coach and that's what led me to find the book in the first place. So it is possible I glossed over that part.
  • kiela64
    Options

I love the first book because Norris and Messina are evidence-based RDs, so they really focus on what research shows about how to meet your nutritional needs as a vegan. It also includes sample diets for different types of lifestyles/stages (different ages, more athletic, etc). They avoid a lot of the less supported or inflated claims you sometimes see in other vegan books/websites. I drew most of my knowledge about supplementation from their work (in addition to the book, Norris maintains an amazingly helpful website -- veganhealth.org). Messina has a follow-up book, Vegan for Her, that focuses on the specific nutritional needs women have, I like that one as well. They're really practical in their approach to nutrition and I think they make really good points about how unnecessary restrictions (very low fat diets, avoiding white flour/sugar, etc) can make it harder to be vegan and even sometimes compromise meeting nutritional needs.

I like Matt Fitzgerald's book for similar reasons (although he isn't vegan). His approach is a really common-sense one that focuses on performance while avoiding unnecessary restrictions or "purity" in how one eats. This book draws on his observation of elite athletes to draw out the commonalities in how they eat around the world and offers tips on how non-elite athletes can implement their diet principles into their own lives.

Ah thank you! I think I'm absolutely going to look into those two with Norris and Messina, evidence-based RDs with practical approaches sounds useful. I don't know if I'll ever manage to become vegan, but knowing how to make vegan food/meals/days/etc that is nutritionally sound is absolutely of interest to me. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I like books on wine.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I didn't really get that from the book but it has been a while since I read it. It does make sense though since he is a running coach and that's what led me to find the book in the first place. So it is possible I glossed over that part.

It's not a major component of his writing; there's just a part in one of the latter chapters where he states in general terms that exercise is the key to maintaining a healthy weight. I realize there's a bit of 'fuzz factor' there - in that most people aren't willing to count calories with a high degree of accuracy, and that exercise might very well be a key factor in helping non-counters maintain.

I find that's a frequent and subtle clash within this topic and associated ones: the friction between what is physically, objectively correct in the science of weight management, and what is accessible to the layman. I realize most authors have to pitch more to the layman for the sake of efficacy, even if it's not the most technically correct analysis.
  • kiela64
    Options

Thanks! For the second one, which one did you find helpful? I searched it and found like...5 different ones lol. Maybe they're all equal I don't know :p I know very little about cooking, so this looks like a good one.
  • dewd2
    Options
    This is the one I have - https://www.amazon.com/Cook-This-Awesome-350-Calorie-Meals/dp/1605291471. I found it a discount store. I flipped though it and thought it looked interesting.

I recommend the first one as well. I understand it may rub you the wrong way based on existing bias but if you really want to be open minded, it is worth the read. FWIW, I also have low carb, atkins, keto, paleo, and who knows what else books. I don't care at all about the nonsense in them. I only get them for the recipes (at the same discount store).
  • kiela64
    Options
    This is the one I have - https://www.amazon.com/Cook-This-Awesome-350-Calorie-Meals/dp/1605291471. I found it a discount store. I flipped though it and thought it looked interesting.

I recommend the first one as well. I understand it may rub you the wrong way based on existing bias but if you really want to be open minded, it is worth the read. FWIW, I also have low carb, atkins, keto, paleo, and who knows what else books. I don't care at all about the nonsense in them. I only get them for the recipes (at the same discount store).

Thank you!! Sounds like a great resource for sure.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/ - Both books are awesome, but you can buy them separately if you want. Been meaning to get https://renaissanceperiodization.com/shop/understanding-healthy-eating/ , but I've been too busy to have the time to read it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Good books for a general reader:

Walter Willett's Eat Drink and Be Healthy -- I don't agree with absolutely everything in it, but it was an important read for me, years ago

Marion Nestle's books -- What to Eat is a good one (Food Politics is also interesting)

I strongly agree with the recommendation of Diet Cults

A diet book I actually think is really useful and speaks sense about how to think about food choice is Fat Loss Happens on Mondays

Laura Fraser's analysis of the dieting culture also talks generally about nutritional common sense: Losing It

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything is a basic cookbook that I think is a great resource for anyone wanting to learn to cook sensible balanced dinners and to feel comfortable in the kitchen

I love Vegetable Love by Barbara Kafka and Greene on Greens as good basic vegetable cookbooks that are motivating for someone wanting to expand the vegetables they eat. Any farm/seasonal cookbook with lots of photos works the same way (Tender by Nigel Slater, for example)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite isn't a nutrition book per se: In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. Very helpful for me in my learning.

Two that I sometimes refer to folks who are total newbies at learning how to eat in more a healthful manner:
    The Dash Diet and the Dash Diet Weight Loss Program. General information, really.

And then I re-read Michael Pollan. :smile:
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    My favorite book on nutrition is:
    "You are what you eat" by Dr. Gillian Mckeith- got it off amazon and it is really excellent- whole foods , healthy and nutrition and she answers the question of which foods and healthy and how they help you-

Let Food be your medicine" by Dr. Don Colbert is also excellent
    Both have helped me tremendously in learning about healthy eating as a whole.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I too like Michael Pollen.

Most of my favourites support a lower carb diet:

Taube's Good Calories Bad Calories.
    Big Fat Surprise
    Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
    Ketogenic Bible
    Cholesterol Clarity or Cholesterol Con or Great Cholesterol Myth
    Wahl's Protocol
    Atkin's Diet
    Pure, White and Deadly
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
    Alzheimers: What if There Was a Cure?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The Blue Zones : 9 Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest - Dan Buettner

Not purely nutrition but that comes into it a lot. Very interesting book.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Whether it's a specific diet manual, a book about nutrition, a cookbook, or a biography, is there a book that you found motivating, inspiring, informative, or that helped you understand more about nutrition?
    At this point I thought I might have something to contribute to the conversation.
    • How to Cook Anything, or anything else by Mark Bittman
    • Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook among others of that ilk
    • Joy of Cooking any edition really
    I've found lots of links, but something about holding a book seems to make my academic brain go "oh this is important now" haha :p
    But then I wondered if I had the academic or intellectual capacity to keep up; But perhaps Shirley O. Corriher's CookWise or Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking would be useful suggestions.
    I'm fully still experimenting myself, so if there's a book about vegan/vegetarian/low-carb/keto/whatever that you found absolutely amazing I'd totally be interested to hear about it!
    But after reading that and all the subsequent replies, I see I was wrong to start with. I don't have anything useful to contribute to this conversation.
    ETA: and could you explain a little bit about why it's helped you/been so useful to you?
    Missing the "arrival times" point here. What I found useful about all the examples listed above is they provide enough fundamental knowledge to let the latest money-making diet fad and gimmick roll off my shoulders like rain off a duck's back.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" Michael Pollen
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Geneen Roth as an author has several books on evaluating your relationship with food. Not nutrition, but certainly beneficial if you find yourself frequently struggling with food issues.