KICKSTARTING THE WEIGHT LOSS

Options
Hi, I am an MFP member for the past two months. I need your help. I started my weight loss journey on 26th september. I am counting the calories, doing cardio and strength training for one hour. I lost some inches in my waistline and in the upper body. But my scale doesn't budge for a little till date. It is frustrating. Any body has such kind of experience? Pls advise and help.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    OHo7UHA.jpg
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I have heard this before and maybe someone can verify, but if you are actually gaining muscle then muscle weight more then fat. So you could lose inches but gain weight. Like a body builder you see them huge dudes, they do not weigh normal for their height and age, but their BF is probably very low.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I have heard this before and maybe someone can verify, but if you are actually gaining muscle then muscle weight more then fat. So you could lose inches but gain weight. Like a body builder you see them huge dudes, they do not weigh normal for their height and age, but their BF is probably very low.

Women gain very little muscle when bulking, and even less when losing weight.

OP, how are you measuring your calorie intake.
  • neerajanarayan1967
    Options
    Thank you very much for your kind responses. I am doing it by portion control but I ordered a food scale. I have to lose around 65lbs. I don't know why I am losing inches but not weight. I am sure that I am not taking any processed and oily food. I drink tons of water daily. If I have to lose a lot of weight around 30 kgs there must be some loss intially. After certain point of time it might have got stalled. Nothing happened till now. I am sure that I am not eating maintenance calories. Pls advise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your kind responses. I am doing it by portion control but I ordered a food scale. I have to lose around 65lbs. I don't know why I am losing inches but not weight. I am sure that I am not taking any processed and oily food. I drink tons of water daily. If I have to lose a lot of weight around 30 kgs there must be some loss intially. After certain point of time it might have got stalled. Nothing happened till now. I am sure that I am not eating maintenance calories. Pls advise.

Since you aren’t yet weighing your food you can’t be sure of that. When your scale comes you’ll be able to see exactly how much (little) a serving is.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is so simple.

Because you don't weigh your food, you don't know exactly how much you are eating, but if you're the same weight, you're eating at maintenance (that's what maitenance means).

Using a food scale is just a more accurate, and in your case (because you aren't losing weight) necessary way of exerting portion control.

Stop spending mental effort on non-important details. Don't drink a ton of water, drink enough to not be thirsty. 8 cups is probably enough, unless you're hot from exercise or weather, or have eaten a lot of salt. I don't know what you mean by oily and processed food - we need dietary fat, and most foods need some kind of processing to be edible. Just eat a varied and balanced diet, and log it correctly. The food scale will be a great help, if you use it correctly. The whole idea with weighing and logging and hitting calorie target, is that you can eat what you want, and so increase your ability to keep the weight off afterwards.

There is no kickstart involved unless you are a motorcycle. Initial weightloss often comes with a bit of water weight, that can be motivating for some people, but it can also set unrealistic expectations; what counts, is that you eat less (and move more), consistently, for real, and for a long time.
  • neerajanarayan1967
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your advise and replies. I will update you after two weeks using food scale.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You're getting smaller, that's a good thing... just keep going, ensure you're eating in a deficit and the scale will move eventually