Are soreen bars / malt loafs that healthy?

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    :D Nerves have been hit, no need to get all het up. Eat what you like OP...

Your nerves? Because you're unable to tell us what "crap" is in the food?
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Because this thread amused me, I'll pop out of my lurking to say that Soreen malt loaf is available on Amazon (and it's Prime eligible too). :) I've been inspired to try this.... anyone who has eaten it care to give a description to a hopeless American who is having a hard time imagining what it tastes like?

ETA: "deliciously squidgy energy" :joy:

Fellow lurker and also a lover of the deliciousness that is malt loaf. It is very dense, dark and sticky (actual sticking-to-the-teeth sticky) and is studded with raisins. Tastes like you'd expect a dark, sticky fruit cake to taste! When sliced it compresses beneath the knife, and it absolutely HAS to have a layer of butter almost as thick as the slice itself. Tea to wash it down is optional - well, not if you're a Brit like me, obviously ;) - other beverages can accompany it if you wish. I would recommend that you don't delay and give Amazon your hard-earned as soon as possible.. :)

Or you could make your own : https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1411653/sticky-malt-loaves

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Hooliekom wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Because this thread amused me, I'll pop out of my lurking to say that Soreen malt loaf is available on Amazon (and it's Prime eligible too). :) I've been inspired to try this.... anyone who has eaten it care to give a description to a hopeless American who is having a hard time imagining what it tastes like?

ETA: "deliciously squidgy energy" :joy:

Fellow lurker and also a lover of the deliciousness that is malt loaf. It is very dense, dark and sticky (actual sticking-to-the-teeth sticky) and is studded with raisins. Tastes like you'd expect a dark, sticky fruit cake to taste! When sliced it compresses beneath the knife, and it absolutely HAS to have a layer of butter almost as thick as the slice itself. Tea to wash it down is optional - well, not if you're a Brit like me, obviously ;) - other beverages can accompany it if you wish. I would recommend that you don't delay and give Amazon your hard-earned as soon as possible.. :)

Or you could make your own : https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1411653/sticky-malt-loaves

Wonderful, thanks for the recipe too! Sounds tasty... :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    So anyone wanna do a 7 day malt loaf fast? :o

I would say yes but then I got "the fear" because I'd be devastated if I went off malt loaf.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say they're not healthy, because I bought a pack of lunchbox loaves, and ate them all in one sitting. Clearly some witchcraft at work here!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Try it toasted. .....

You've reminded me, they do a toasting teacake type thing now and it is ridiculously good.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    soreen-buttered-image.jpg

How did we go this entire thread without any pictures? I don't even know what this thing is, only that i want it.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Simultaneously YES and also hugely no...

We had it at home at the weekend when I was a kid. Toasted. Buttered. Amazeballs.

Then I went to university and took up rowing. It turns out that basically 90% of rowing in the UK is fuelled exclusively by malt loaf. We had so much of it one year on training camp that we literally built a fort out of it. I kind of ODd on it, although I have very happy memories of the banana one although that might have been more to do with winning a race that day than eating the banana Soreen.

I did pick a little bar up in Sainsbury's last night because it fit my macros. I was disappointed. It was better in my head.

But if I can do toasted buttered malt loaf then I might compromise on a 3 day "fast" (cause I'm SURE the digestive results will be the polar opposite thereof...) :s
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    We get Sunblest Veda here in Northern Ireland, its just like bread only with malt in it. Its moist and delicious. One slice is 104 cals (depends of course on how thick/thin you cut it!) - and I just have to say its much better than the Soreen one, just so you guys know what you are potentially missing out on :D
    Its lovely with lemon curd or marmalade on :smile: I enjoy a slice most days at work for my mid morning snack..yum!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

How did we go this entire thread without any pictures? I don't even know what this thing is, only that i want it.

I was going to take a picture of mine but I forgot and ate it.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »

Simultaneously YES and also hugely no...

We had it at home at the weekend when I was a kid. Toasted. Buttered. Amazeballs.

Then I went to university and took up rowing. It turns out that basically 90% of rowing in the UK is fuelled exclusively by malt loaf. We had so much of it one year on training camp that we literally built a fort out of it. I kind of ODd on it, although I have very happy memories of the banana one although that might have been more to do with winning a race that day than eating the banana Soreen.

I did pick a little bar up in Sainsbury's last night because it fit my macros. I was disappointed. It was better in my head.

But if I can do toasted buttered malt loaf then I might compromise on a 3 day "fast" (cause I'm SURE the digestive results will be the polar opposite thereof...) :s

The lunchbox loaves aren't a patch on the full size original.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Used to have this as a part of our Sunday tea along with sardines on toast or banana sandwiches. Good memories. I still love malt loaf but very rarely eat it as nothing but a good hunk with a lot of butter will suffice.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brit in Southern California, I bet I could find some variation at Cost Plus... though I paid $10 for a crappy little box of Quality Street this week and am still mad about that.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brit in Southern California, I bet I could find some variation at Cost Plus... though I paid $10 for a crappy little box of Quality Street this week and am still mad about that.

I bought a jar of Quality Street which was supposed to be for Christmas. Yeah, that didn't happen. They were all gone before Halloween. The Cadbury's Chocolate Oranges are still intact (for the moment).

(I'm a Brit in Massachusetts).
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

I bought a jar of Quality Street which was supposed to be for Christmas. Yeah, that didn't happen. They were all gone before Halloween. The Cadbury's Chocolate Oranges are still intact (for the moment).

(I'm a Brit in Massachusetts).

is it not terry's chocolate oranges?

Oh gawd, blame it on senility. Yes, they're Terry's chocolate oranges. Sigh.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

It's LOW FAT!!!

I'm sold. Placing my order.....