Weaning off metformin

Options
I recently had bloodwork done that indicates my A1c and blood glucose are now under the threshold for being medicated for diabetes. I am, of course, thrilled with this. My doctor has okayed me to halve my dose for a few weeks -- 500mg once a day instead of twice -- and if my BG continues steady after that, to discontinue it entirely.

I cut my dosage starting Tuesday, and to my annoyance, the scale jumped up .5 lbs yesterday and then 1.7 lbs this morning. I'm used to my weight fluctuating normally, but this is a big jump even for me. Pretty sure it's a reaction to the reduction in metformin, but has anyone else had this happen?

I know this is water weight and will pass within a few days. My calories have been consistent. I'm just wondering how common this result is.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Let's say it is a common side effect. What does it really matter? It's not like you'll go back on the meds to reduce the weight, right?

The fact is you've made a significant change to your body by cutting your meds which is a good thing. You know it's not fat gain so just let it ride and don't stress about it.

Congratulations on on your accomplishment. I'm currently working on losing some weight to get off my BP meds. I know how important this is to you. Maybe when I come off mine and the weight shoots up, you can be there to reassure me it's normal :-)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Congrats, but I am not sure I would ask to stop metformin. I am about to turn 59 and would love to get on it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28258677
  • djscruggs
    djscruggs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it is realistic for me to think I might get off ALL of my diabetes medications? In the last month, I have radically improved my diet, exercise habits, etc. I have managed to stop taking 2 meds that were additions to metformin. Now I'm down to metformin only. As I understand it, once diagnosed as type 2 diabetic, one is forever a diabetic.....but I wonder if it is feasible to manage it totally through diet and exercise?
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    djscruggs wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it is realistic for me to think I might get off ALL of my diabetes medications? In the last month, I have radically improved my diet, exercise habits, etc. I have managed to stop taking 2 meds that were additions to metformin. Now I'm down to metformin only. As I understand it, once diagnosed as type 2 diabetic, one is forever a diabetic.....but I wonder if it is feasible to manage it totally through diet and exercise?

Please let your doctor know if you are taking yourself off your diabetic medications. Doctors prescribe diabetic medications because the consequences of diabetes are very serious and horrible.

How many diabetic medications are you on, and what was your last A1C if you don't mind me asking?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Follow Dr orders for going off any meds , especially these. Some people get off completely and forever with proper diet, weight loss, and exercise.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Let's say it is a common side effect. What does it really matter? It's not like you'll go back on the meds to reduce the weight, right?

The fact is you've made a significant change to your body by cutting your meds which is a good thing. You know it's not fat gain so just let it ride and don't stress about it.

Congratulations on on your accomplishment. I'm currently working on losing some weight to get off my BP meds. I know how important this is to you. Maybe when I come off mine and the weight shoots up, you can be there to reassure me it's normal :-)

It doesn't change things overall, but it matters in that this is unknown territory for me and I just like to know that others have been here, too. I do promise to be around when you come off your meds, too, and we'll celebrate! And thank you!
  • ZoneFive
    Options
    Congrats, but I am not sure I would ask to stop metformin. I am about to turn 59 and would love to get on it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28258677

Please God I won't have to worry about needing the anti-cancer benefits, but as far as anti-aging goes . . . I figure if I haven't grown up by now it's just not going to happen. :p (I'll be 60 in February.)
  • ZoneFive
    Options

If you're off 2 of 3 meds, that's a huge success! Yes, once we're diagnosed diabetic, we stay diabetic, but there are a lot of us who manage it with diet and exercise. It may turn out that I need to stay on a low dose of metformin, but I'll monitor my sugars and starches and do my exercise as though it's all on me no matter what. Because in a lot of ways it really is -- for cardiovascular health, muscle and bone health, and to keep myself in a better attitude.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I went off most of my meds at the same time and did see a gain but it eventually came back off. Don't let it derail you. Just chalk it up to your body reacting to the change. BTW, I'm 61.