Break from exercise, then start again to shock body?

Options
Hey there
I've lost 54 lbs since February. I usually work out 5-6 days a week, with an average of about 1.5 hours of exercise a day. I have been on a 1300 calorie diet, which also includes staying away from bread and pasta... fast food, processed stuff.

I was losing 1-2 lbs a week since February... the scale never let me down. For 3 weeks now, I have been the same and I'm really struggling emotionally with it. It's so hard for me to think of upping my calories, because it just doesn't seem logical when trying to lose weight, but deep down I know the benefits.

MY QUESTION IS: If I stop exercising for a week, and then start up again... have any of you done that, and did it help to get you back on track with losing???????????????

Replies

• twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    upping your cals and crabs would be a great idea!! I am doing insanity and i was getting like 1200 cals /day .... i had to upp my cals to 1600+ and i finally started losing again!!! make sure you get enough carbs .. especially after a workout!! :D
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode if you arent getting enough!!! -- stopping exercise is prob bad... you will most likely gain some weight back
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you stop exercising you will probably lose weight due to losing some muscle. But I think the upping your cals and still working out will benefit you more in the long run. :)
  • hayleyxxwxx
    hayleyxxwxx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was stcuk at 140lbs for weeks with no weight loss whatsoever even though i was sticking to my calorie limit and exercising 5-6 times a week. I decided to take a weeks break from exercising and the weight just fell off...lost about 4lbs in that week. It worked for me so it might be worth a try.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have heard of that working wonders for people as far as "shocking" their system goes. You could also try changing your workouts (instead of running, try a spin class or zumba, etc.). The body can get used to a workout if it's done repeatedly, causing your workout to be less effective than it originally was. Have you thought about upping your calorie intake as well? I know that sounds scary, but sometimes even a 100 calorie change can recharge your system and restart your weight loss. good luck! I know it can be really frustrating when the scale stops budging.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sometimes taking a break can be beneficial. Your muscles will have time to recover a bit. I hit the same point as you last fall, I was down 60 pounds or something total since I had started and I rarely stalled out during that time. Then all of a sudden... nothing... for a month or two.

But I realized during that time that I actually did have to eat more! I was sticking to 1200 calories a day and working out pretty intensely, and my body just decided it wasn't getting enough food so it shut off. It took me a while to bounce back from that.

So, I'd say maybe start to gradually up your calories until the scale starts to move again. You don't have to add 300 calories all of a sudden, but try adding 50 more for a few days, if nothing add 50 more to that. I now eat 1500 calories on a regular basis of good food and it works really well for me.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you know the benefits of upping your calories, try to do it.

I know for a lot of people it seems "illogical" but you need to give your body the fuel it needs. I'm assuming if you're on this site, you want to be healthy - not just crash diet - and providing yourself with the energy and nutrients you need is healthy. So long as you're still at a deficit, you WILL continue to lose weight.

If you're still not convinced - I've lost 14 lbs in the lsat 3 months by upping my calories to 1600. I know that doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but I'm close to my goal weight and I'm losing consistantly each week. Give it a try. If you gain and have a freak out, bring them back down.

There's no sure-fire answer that's going to work for everyone, but generall upping the cals - even to only 1450/day, can often be what helps.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Synnoveg
    Synnoveg Posts: 10
    Options
    Dont stop exercising. You have got to eat more. That will shock the body more than cutting out exercise. You also have to think about the many added benefits that exercise does to your body; not just the weight loss aspect of it. You are a healthier person for exercising everyday, so don't cut out a positive habit like that.
  • jldemoss
    Options
    I just read an article from Jillian Michael's in a Fitness magazine from last month that said if you hit a plateau in your exercise routine then take a break for a few days and then start again. This will boost your metabolism again!!
  • flavoid
    flavoid Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body adapted. so I'd say change it all up, diet and gym routine, just make sure the math supports the goal, ie. if calories out is greater than calories in, you lose...
  • YeOldeLancer
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been stuck for 3 weeks. I can only imagine how discouraging it can be. I agree with other people on here as far as upping your calories to prevent your body going into "starvation mode" where your metabolism slows down. I also feel that having a balanced diet that also includes carbs will be more beneficial to you. After all, it's the carbohydrates that keep you your body going (along with other essential nutrients)!

Good luck with the work. Don't be discouraged and keep at it!
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode if you arent getting enough!!! -- stopping exercise is prob bad... you will most likely gain some weight back

err no you will only gain if you eat too much if you eat maintance calories you will be fine
  • roe1450
    roe1450 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't have a reply since I'm a newbie but I did want to ask how do you up your caloric intake without adding carbs, fat, etc.? What exactly do I eat?
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If you are working out 1.5 hours per day then I think you need to increase your calorie intake each day in order to start losing again. I know its a hard concept to grasp and to overcome, but yes eating more may help fuel your body and help you begin losing weight again. Don't eat a lot more... just 200-400 calories more and see what happens....try it for a few weeks. Can't hurt right?
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You could try calorie cycling! Sometimes it's helpful in breaking a plateau. Basically you eat the same "average" number of calories per week but eat more on one day and less the other.

I use this to figure it out: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

At the bottom you can click on "7 day calorie cycle" and it tells you about how many to eat to confuse your body a little. It worked for me once after I hit a plateau for about a month. It can be so discouraging and frustrating to work so hard and not see the numbers go down.

I hope it helps. Good luck to you!!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    You can do a few things:

If you've been doing the same workout routine, you might need to change it up. You can try higher intensity workouts, heavier weights, or just throw in some new exercises that work your muscles in a different way.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? If not, try eating some of them or all of them. You just might not be eating enough.

You can take an active recovery week if you feel that your body might need some rest. Just do shorter and lower intensity workouts for a few days or a whole week. Then, when you start back up, add some new stuff to your workouts.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StevenK05
    Options
    Weight is not always the best way to measure results. A tape measure will let you know how you are progressing.
    Most people agree they actually do not care about the number as far as weight goes... They want to be fit/healthy and look
    the best they can.

As far as hitting a plateau: Good advice from other members on here. Up your calories to take your body out of starvation mode and change up your workout routine. You will see results quickly and feel like you are back on track in no time.

Good luck!