set goals / calorie intake

Options
when setting up my account, I entered all parameters as requested however, I chose to lose 5lbs per week but the program defaulted to .05lbs per week.
doing so made my goal 1750 cal day. If I follow that suggestion I will gain 5lbs or more a week.
please advise.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's impossible for you to gain 5 pounds of fat a week on 1750 calories. It's also impossible to lose 5 pounds of fat a week so you must have chosen .5 pounds. What are your stats?
  • nealfjr1
    nealfjr1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my mistake. went back to the settings page. I thought I was choosing "lose 5lbs a week" but it actually reads ".5lbs per week" . However my goal is to lose 5lbs per week. I know it can be done as I have done it once before, Wish me luck.
  • malibu927
    Options
    nealfjr1 wrote: »
    my mistake. went back to the settings page. I thought I was choosing "lose 5lbs a week" but it actually reads ".5lbs per week" . However my goal is to lose 5lbs per week. I know it can be done as I have done it once before, Wish me luck.

Again, you can't lose that quickly, as you need to create a deficit of 2500 calories a day. What is your height, weight, and goal weight?
  • nealfjr1
    Options
    height 60inches weight 180 goal 145
  • nealfjr1
    Options
    my ideal calorie intake will be no more than 1200 calories daily.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Unless you are greatly overweight - I mean by 200-300 pounds over, you're not going to be able to burn off five pounds a week without losing muscle mass or doing other damage to your body. Sure, for a few weeks you can dump water weight, but that comes and goes. Its the excess fat you want to go after and for most people, going for more than a couple pounds a week won't get that done.

If you want to post up your stats as Malibu asked, and if you're willing to at least listen to some sound advice, there are people here who can give you some realistic as well as sustainable numbers.
  • malibu927
    Options
    1200 should be a minimum. And you can lose eating more.

Quick weight loss is not supported by MFP because it can seriously damage your body. At your size your best bet is 1-1.5 pounds per week, with that rate decreasing as you lose in order to preserve muscle mass and help you transition to maintenance easier.
  • nealfjr1
    Options
    I posted my stats for everyone's review. Yes I am willing to listen to sound advice regarding diet and exercise.

FYI. I am diabetic. MyA1C is 5.4. I also have stage 3 kidney disease. my GFR is 39. I also have a CABG and heart failure. My ejection fraction is only 42.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    yogsvr4 wrote: »
    Unless you are greatly overweight - I mean by 200-300 pounds over, you're not going to be able to burn off five pounds a week without losing muscle mass or doing other damage to your body. Sure, for a few weeks you can dump water weight, but that comes and goes. Its the excess fat you want to go after and for most people, going for more than a couple pounds a week won't get that done.

If you want to post up your stats as Malibu asked, and if you're willing to at least listen to some sound advice, there are people here who can give you some realistic as well as sustainable numbers.

and
    malibu927 wrote: »

Quick weight loss is not supported by MFP because it can seriously damage your body. At your size your best bet is 1-1.5 pounds per week, with that rate decreasing as you lose in order to preserve muscle mass and help you transition to maintenance easier.

^^^^ what they said ^^^^
  • nealfjr1
    Options
    I have already been through Cardio Rehab. I also have medical clearance from my Cardiologist and Primary Care Physicians.
  • malibu927
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

An addendum...as a male, you won’t be assigned a calorie goal lower than 1500 calories. However, at your height, I think eating between 1200-1500 should be okay.
  • nealfjr1
    Options
    My sincerest thanks to everyone with your support and advice.
    I did not gain this all in 30 days so I do accept that it may take a while to get back to my ideal weight of 145lbs.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Obviously you have some pretty severe health problems other than losing a few pounds. Please take care of yourself and don't try to lose too much too fast by jeopardizing overall health. Maybe try 1500 calories (minimum for males) to start and see how you do. Best of luck to you.
  • malibu927
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    Obviously you have some pretty severe health problems other than losing a few pounds. Please take care of yourself and don't try to lose too much too fast by jeopardizing overall health. Maybe try 1500 calories (minimum for males) to start and see how you do. Best of luck to you.

He’s only 5’ tall so I think he’ll be fine eating under 1500.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nealfjr1 wrote: »
    I posted my stats for everyone's review. Yes I am willing to listen to sound advice regarding diet and exercise.

FYI. I am diabetic. MyA1C is 5.4. I also have stage 3 kidney disease. my GFR is 39. I also have a CABG and heart failure. My ejection fraction is only 42.

sound advice - trying to lose 5lb per week is VERY unhealthy. don't do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I wish you common sense and patience!
  • nealfjr1
    Options
    again THANK YOU sincerely to everyone who has offered advice and concern.
    I will take all of your advice, eating according to the MFP guidelines, and being patient on results.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What a supportive group, love MFP!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    5 lbs a week loss for a goal is absurd! You have health issues and meds you have to contend with also!
    Why a goal of 145lbs? Is your doctor aware of this plan?
    Take it slow.....you want to change eating habits for the rest of your life! This takes time! This is also not a hop on hop off trolley car......that behavior is not good for your heart or your diabetes! Be realistic with possibly 5 lbs a month!
    You have plenty on your plate w/o being a weight loss maniac! :#:)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    .......sorry....was thinking you were 6 feet tall but realized you were 5 feet! 145 is realistic! My bad!