Powerlifter Taking 6-Weeks Off....Need Mental Support

Options
I'm a power lifter who typically hits the gym 6-7 x per week. Very rarely any less unless I'm traveling or have something going on with my family. I lift for 2-hours and do cardio and stretches for 30-60 minutes. I LOVE my gym time. There is nothing that can ease my type-A, OCD personality and anxiety like a really great gym session with new PR's and a ton of sweat. HOWEVER, on November 15th I have to get surgery to repair my foot reconstruction (long story short, they messed up putting an implant and screw in back in 2013 along with a bunch of other procedures that were done at the time, and I've been in pain ever since) and I will be 3-weeks in a soft cast and 3-weeks in a boot. Totaling 6-weeks of no squats, deadlifts or leg press. My goal is to focus on upper body during this time, maybe do some extensions, yoga, stretching and even low-impact cardio, but I know I'm going to need a lot of support to not be a total brat during this time so any support or comments from gym-goers who were forced to take time off would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a knee brace and anything that requires bending beyond 45* is a no go.

Swimming has been my best friend.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I can't imagine. I'd go nuts.

There was a guy walking around my gym in an air-cast doing upper body for a couple months. I imagine he was in the same boat.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh aly, you'll get through.
    I had ACL surgery about four years ago. They also did a cartilage repair procedure at the same time. Mostly because of the cartilage repair, I was on crutches, instructed not to use that leg, for almost 12 weeks. Arrgggh!
    I used to hobble around the gym to the upper body machines just to be able to do something -- flys, rows, curls, delts.
    When they finally let me off the crutches, and start rehab, they told me to only skip. Skip? A grown man skipping down the street....Waving to the curious neighbors peering incredulously out their windows. ("Mabel, you gotta see this! I told you he was a kook!")
    It has been a long road. But, you know what? I have gotten back and, having gone through the surgery, I am now almost as good as new, whereas before I was not.
    Good luck! You'll find ways to cope.
    Maybe ice cream. I hear that is good for everything. Lots of ice cream.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    About 3-4 (I can't remember exactly) years ago, I was out of heavy lifting action for about 6 weeks. Kinda sucked, but I dealt with it. I ended up going in a couple times a week (after the first few weeks) and doing mostly isolation exercises that didn't aggravate my injury.

If you can, and it's OK'd by your doc/physical therapist, maybe give that a shot. It might help keep your mind/emotions OK because you're doing something. Just don't do anything stupid.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

There was a guy walking around my gym in an air-cast doing upper body for a couple months. I imagine he was in the same boat.

I have seen people in casts working the parts that are not injured. Short term knee and ankle injuries I have done the same. Not quite six weeks, but four or five and my upper body lifts became a lot stronger...you can do this!
  • shillbert
    shillbert Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »

Make sure it's keto fat-burning ice cream ;););)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'm currently in a knee brace and anything that requires bending beyond 45* is a no go.

Swimming has been my best friend.

I didn't even think about swimming! I'm going to have a cast for half of the time, so I think that would be a no go, but maybe at the point when I'm in a boot! Great idea!
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

Literally going to be me. My friends were joking around saying my upper body is going to be completely yoked by the end of week six. I think I'm gonna use the time to focus even more on back, chest and core. I already focus on it a lot but this can be a good training session I suppose.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    I had ACL surgery about four years ago. They also did a cartilage repair procedure at the same time. Mostly because of the cartilage repair, I was on crutches, instructed not to use that leg, for almost 12 weeks. Arrgggh!
    I used to hobble around the gym to the upper body machines just to be able to do something -- flys, rows, curls, delts.
    When they finally let me off the crutches, and start rehab, they told me to only skip. Skip? A grown man skipping down the street....Waving to the curious neighbors peering incredulously out their windows. ("Mabel, you gotta see this! I told you he was a kook!")
    It has been a long road. But, you know what? I have gotten back and, having gone through the surgery, I am now almost as good as new, whereas before I was not.

That's what I'm most nervous about - just not being able to do that much! I like going to the gym to exert all my energy in a good way instead of just constantly cleaning and being super OCD. It's like a relaxing distraction from myself LMAO. I'll definitely be doing upper body, maybe some leg extensions, ham curls, etc. Stick to the machines where my feet don't have much movement. I'm gonna ask about the bike too but since my ankle is involved I'm not so sure that will be okay.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

I'm glad to hear you made a full recovery though! The rest time is prescribed for a reason from everything I've been told. You come back and are better than ever, that's the goal!
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »

I have seen people in casts working the parts that are not injured. Short term knee and ankle injuries I have done the same. Not quite six weeks, but four or five and my upper body lifts became a lot stronger...you can do this!

LOL I'll just make my bench goal be like 135 and get my lat pulls up to 155. Set a few different goals in the mean time, then focus on legs when I get back in it. Thanks for the support everyone!
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would try to bulk up any lagging body parts and put those calories to good use. Especially since no real cardio so it might make it easier for you. Break out the measuring tape and see how big you can get those bi's or shoulders
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Life update: totally thought I would be back in the gym by now at a 8 days post-surgery but my foot is infected and I have a complete no weight-bearing restriction at the moment. Even trying to hop around pain is radiating all through my leg. So frustrating!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I hope you can get back to the gym soon and find a way to deal with the stir-crazy - maybe take up some sort of craft until you can get back at it ? Also ... 3 hours per day, every day, in the gym? I must say, I do not know where you find the stamina without needing rest. Even at the peak of my fitness, the most I managed was 2 - 2.5 hours of workouts and walking and that was with at least 1 rest day per week. You must be supremely fit and/or eat supreme amounts and/or be Superwoman, lol.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I hope you can get back to the gym soon and find a way to deal with the stir-crazy - maybe take up some sort of craft until you can get back at it ? Also ... 3 hours per day, every day, in the gym? I must say, I do not know where you find the stamina without needing rest. Even at the peak of my fitness, the most I managed was 2 - 2.5 hours of workouts and walking and that was with at least 1 rest day per week. You must be supremely fit and/or eat supreme amounts and/or be Superwoman, lol.

LMAO well I can surely say that now I've basically hit a "reset" button and am going to have to work up to that length again. I really just enjoy being at the gym, moving around, playing with new movements and taking my time stretching/resting between sets. Also, it helps that my gym friends have a similar mind set so it ends up being fun and not "work" in a sense. And I bring snacks LOLOL