So I'm quitting the gym...

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyBabe74
    HealthyBabe74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I prefer the outdoors myself but lately its been so darn hot its hard to catch your breathe.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too....the guys are nice to look at, but as far as the working out there part goes, not my cup of tea. Something about being squished in a hot, crowded, stuffy room full of people dripping their sweat all over the machine that I'm about to have to touch that just icks me out. Plus I get panic attacks when I go.
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    totally get you!
    i did the gym scene for a while and even had a trainer, my motivation came from my own resistance and found that if i brought my mp3 player, i liked it better. Im not a hamster so i steered away from the treadmill.
    Now im at home, riding a bike and i enjoy it a lot, but i do miss the equipment and the smell of sweat, as weird as it sounds it kept me going, also i didnt know anyone there so it was my relaxation time, no one to talk to me or bother me so i lived in my own little planet, right now, im considering the Y since i have kids, we'll see how that goes!
    But like the others said, do what feels right for you and keep moving :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you don't need a gym. I have been doing great work-outs at and around my house for a few months now. get on youtube and look for some bodyweight exercises. go watch Zuzana on bodyrock.tv. she has some amazing (and relatively short) workout routines. I'd recommend investing $10 in a stability ball...there are some super exercises you can do on the stability ball...some are modifications of bodyweight exercises (you're doing a bodyweight exercise, but adding a degree of difficulty).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    They told me to stop questioning them and follow their program.
    there are bad experiences at the gym and bad instructors. Unless someone really sat down with you and assessed YOUR goals, then they are doing "cookie cutter" programs which don't work for everyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I am getting bored of my gym. the membership is cheap but you get what you pay for. I am starting to get bored of the arch trainer(like an elliptical) i hate the treadmill. I completely understand.
    You need to change your workout then. Boredom is usually an indication that you've been doing the same program too long. Try this: warm up for 4 minutes starting the resistance at 15 then go to 20 after a minute then to 30 then to 40 on the Arc trainer.
    After that warm up and with the resistance at 40, sprint hard on the machine for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds, then sprint again for 20, rest for 10. Continue this for 4 cycles and add an additional cycle each week. Eventually you want to stop at 8 cycles which is about 4 minutes of sprint/rest. Then do a 4 minute cool down. It ends up being a 12 minute cardio workout, but by no means is it easy if your sprints are all out.
  • Kiti0315
    Options
    I almost quit the gym but....

I love biking but I live in the city and storing a bike in the apartment isn't very feasible for me soI joined the gym in December last year so I could get some exercise because i noticed i was getting out of breath going one flight upstairs.... anyway... long story short.... I go to a NYSC and even though every cardio machine has a personalized TV and all different channels i got bored too. I tried the weights and all those other funky looking machines and i was intimidated by the fact that i did not know how to use them or not know what to do.

I decided to give it one more try before quitting. I like to exhaust all options before giving up =) and now I have discovered spin/ cycling classes!!! I guess i get motivated when i'm in a class environment. I also like having a teacher for guidance =) So i started going about 2 times a week about a months ago and now i'm up to 5 times a week. I do it at my own pace and strength while following the instructions. I try hard and when i feel faintish i tone it down and regain myself and I got to tell you, it's a lot of fun. =)

My point being is don't give up too easily! If one work out doesn't work for you try another. I have talked to a lot of people who get bored at the gym and have found out that they too like organized class situations better. So find a gym that has classes. If you don't like spin like me, try a dance workout class, or an aerobic class or Pilates, or toning... anything that you think you will like. Oh and don't feel bad if you are uncoordinated, or can't keep up. Remember you are not the instructor, you don't have to be perfect. You are there to try as hard as you can to follow but above all to have fun!!! Once you start having fun, it doesn't feel like exercise anymore and you will feel more motivated to go. Plus in a classroom you get to make friends and when u leave the class saying see you next time, you feel like you have to go the next time because someone is expecting to see you there =)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Get a beach cruiser, yo. $99 at Target. Best thing ever. Mine's pink with a basket and it's how I get to and from the grocery store and how I get some exercise while listening to my OWN playlists on the iPod and actually get to GO somewhere. :D
  • kristinascott
    Options
    I'm sorry that you had such a lousy experience at the gym.

I for one am a gym rat.. there is nothing better to me then going to the gym... but only when I want to lift. I must admit that the treadmill does get boring at points.. which is why If I'm just going to walk, I generally try to talk a walk outside unless its like super hot out.

With that being said, I think your post is a bit harsh.

You said that they "never taught you anything you wanted to do anyway". Did you try telling them what you wanted to do/learn? Cause people at the gym are not mind readers.. and unless you tell them, they won't know what you want. Maybe if you had stuck it out a bit longer and told them what you wanted, then they could have shown you things and helped you out a bit more.

i agree i am a bit of a gym rat myself - i love it there!!! lots of awesome people to interact with & get great advice & help from... You can learn a lot by going in there....( Now everyone has a point you dont NEED the gym working out at home will do great if you can stay motivated. That has always been my problem i lose motivation when i workout at home... )

But i agree with her did you tell them what you wanted to do & what kind of routine you wanted? They can't help you if your not willing to open up & ask for help. Maybe you should have been more willing to open up to the whole thing & not so stuck in the idea of "this isnt my world - im not sporty" cuz im not sporty & i DEF dont do treadmills lol i do whats fun for me which is Zumba & weights :D

BUT to each his own - Good luck doing it this way, i hope your motivation stays up & great things happen for you!! (BE CAREFUL with those weights too you really do need to make sure u have the technique down before you pile on too much weights)..... You can def do it! & with a great scenery it shouldnt be boring for ya. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    They told me to stop questioning them and follow their program.
    there are bad experiences at the gym and bad instructors. Unless someone really sat down with you and assessed YOUR goals, then they are doing "cookie cutter" programs which don't work for everyone.

Agreed! If my personal trainer ever told me to stop questioning him and follow his program, I'd would have given him a swift kick in the *kitten* and then some!
  • kbarry90
    kbarry90 Posts: 48
    Options
    I hear you about the gym. I had a couple of men whispering those fat girls need to just quit eating because they are gross to watch exercise. this happened when I was in highschool and I have never been able to go back to a gym. Sounds like you have thought this through and this would be a but thing for you. Good luck !!

This is my biggest fear about when I go to the gym. I can't go during the summer because I'm not going to pay to go but I'm in college so once school starts again in 2 weeks I'll go to the gym there because I have no choice but to pay for it as it's part of tuition. Anyways back on the topic, I get so nervous when I see people whispering at the gym because I feel as if they are making fun of me. Yes I know I'm overweight and I'm most positive that you notice that I'm overweight but I'm here at the gym trying to get healthy so yeah you can stop with the whispering. At least the fat people at the gym are trying to make an effort to change their life instead on sitting at home on the couch eating junk.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I go to the gym but I have this weird feeling that everything is so dirty and I don't want to touch anything without wiping it down with the clorox wipes they provide. But even then I feel like I'm touching something gross. I feel much cleaner and work much harder at home. :) plus I can hop in the shower much faster and not have to ride home in sweaty clothes!
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you've had a bad experience at the gym. I personally love the gym we have on campus. If it's in my tuition, then I'm going to use it. But we have different programs offered each night, like Zumba on Mondays, Pilates, a Strength class, etc. that have really nice instructors. Me and some friends actually went to a hip hop class once and laughed our *kitten* off while looking like fools, but the instructor just laughed with us. I also feel really comfortable in our gym because, even though we have those who try to run 15 mph on the treadmill and flaunt their muslces, there are a lot of people there like "me", the overweight ones that are trying to get in better shape. I haven't heard any nasty whispered comments or anything like that. Also it's a good alternative when it's 120 degrees outside >.<
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I don't belong in that world. I was so bored walking for 30 min on the treadmill which is what they told me to do, I live in one of the most beautiful places in the country, the countryside is right out my back door literally, I don't know how to drive, most shops are about 30 min away anyway... and they told me to walk for 30 min in a overheated room with absolutely terrible music and video's playing constantly. WHY???

Then I got to push something with my legs and another thing with my arms on 2 machines, exactly the same every time I went, so boring.

I feel like a dork every time I go there. I don't fit in in a place like that anyway. I am not sporty. I am not perky or pert. I am not recovering from an injury (the other half of the people who aren't sporty that I see there). I don't hate my body. They never taught me the stuff I actually wanted to do anyway.

Sooo. I bought myself (on impulse even though I cant afford it really) a barbell and dumbell set (with about 40kg of plates but I suspect I'll be starting a lottttt lower than that :P) and decided to try and do things on my own. It would have helped if they'd shown me how to use things like that but I guess I'll have to make do with copying youtube videos... I'm going to do my walking in the actually nice hills around my house (which is what I did before the gym anyway) and I am going to start being more consistent practicing bodyweight exercises (I made a schedule and everything!!111).

And screw the gym... at least at home no-one is going to tell me off for having a mind and a will of my own :(
    While I commend you on taking charge, let me advise you that seeing an exercise on youtube and actually doing it yourself with correct form are 2 different things. Of the many people I see in they gym on a daily basis, maybe 1 out of 4 actually do a bicep curl correctly.
    You really can't see and assess yourself when you lift unless you're doing it in a 3 way mirror. I'd always do any exercises with body weight only till you master the form, then add weight once you've gotten into the groove of how the exercise is supposed to feel.

I so agree with that, ninerbuff. One thing that kills me in the "weirdest things you see in the gym" posts is how many people crack on people that watch themselves in the mirror while exercising and/or flexing. I wonder, are they really THAT GOOD that they don't have to look? Proper form is so important. And I also flex in front of the mirrors quite often to view my progress.
    Just adding this to say that I believe mirrors are an important investment for a home gym also. I got a few from WalMart (full size) for about $5 each, and will definately be adding some more.