Dancing at home (terribly)

Options
I have agoraphobia, and can't get out and do exercises like most. I am also limited in exercise because I have one leg shorter than the other (noticeably). I was meant to get physio for it when I was younger but it only happened a few times. Because of the difference between the 2 legs, I can't do a lot of exercises without ending up in bad pain or I can't do them properly because my left foot won't touch the ground.

I'm only explaining the above as I often see people tell folk to just go out running etc. I don't want to waste anyone's time :smile:

At home, I have a treadmill sadly with a set incline at 3 degrees apparently and a cross trainer (a crap one at that, not very adjustable).

Anyway I guess my question is:
Dancing at home, just...sort of all over the place...terrible basically flailing about vigorously...is it considered good exercise? I am sweating a lot, and it passes the time. Right now I am at my parents, and so I was trying to think of ways to exercise but jogging on the spot was proving too painful.

I can't really find my groove..sometimes I have it, but when I get in my head, I mostly don't haha. I have a fitbit blaze and it is motivational for me. My HR is up for sure doing my terrible dancing. I was just wondering if it still "counts" even though it's not a proper structured routine like zumba and co. Thank you :blush:

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Of course it counts! If you're breaking a sweat and raising your heart rate, that absolutely counts as cardio.

Do whatever you enjoy! If you're looking for other home exercises to do, there are plenty on Youtube. Yoga and strength exercises should be doable with your legs.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Dance away! It's my favourite form of cardio even though I am terrible at it. Who cares? As long as it's raising your heart rate and making you sweat, that's all that matters.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Of course! Movement is movement. I work out primarily at home as well. If you're interested, you might check out www.fitnessblender.com. They have lots of free workouts online that you can do at home with no equipment. And they always encourage you to modify them to suit your needs and abilities. Keep on dancin'! x
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Heck yes it counts! Especially if you sing along at the top of your lungs. Extra points for being off key.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    grab a hairbrush and start terribly singing and you have me every night. im like a cliche lol. Yes of course it counts :p All movement counts
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sure.
    There are some seated workout videos on you tube you might look into trying. Jessica Smith tv has one.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Leslie Sansone walk at home vids?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Count it as low impact aerobics. And yes, it can be very good exercise. Fun too.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts! I lost a lot of weight in high school from daily random dance parties in my living room with my best friend....nothing choreographed about it :D
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY counts! Some days I don’t feel like going out for a run/walk so I dance at home instead. I love dancing so I do it a lot, and if I don’t manually track it on my Fitbit as exercise, my Fitbit still picks it up automatically after about 15 minutes of doing it and logs that I was doing aerobics.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes! It definitely counts! I do that too...when no one is around to watch! LOL! My mom shared a video with me about a woman who taped herself dancing over the months. She barely moved her feet at first, just her arms and twisting her body. I can't remember how long she did it, but she spliced parts of the videos together to show her dwindling frame. So I started doing that too. But I can't do it very long due to lower back pain, but I think as long as you can get any type of movement in that raises your heart rate for a bit, is great! Keep dancing on!