Weighting Myself

Options
Should I stop weighting myself? Numbers just demotivates me. I can't help weighting every morning even though I won't see a result yet. (My goal is losing 0.2 kg a week) Maybe I should just tracking what I eat and see if anything changes in the mirror?

Replies

• 2Dimplez
    2Dimplez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, it actually makes me feel that non of what I’m doing is working very well!
  • gabrielpiragibe
    gabrielpiragibe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem to weigh yourself everyday, just keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate. Example: one morning your weight is 55kg, next morning is 55.5kg, morning after is 54.7.... . It's normal, just focus in your final goal. If it helps, weigh yourself everyday and in the end of the week take the average of all your weights, next week do the same, and compare the AVERAGES :)
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Weighing yourself, especially daily, is one of those things that split people into two camps. Some people can't do it for varying reasons: some feel demotivated, some feel like they become too obsessed with the numbers, some feel like the fluctuations can be too large, etc. etc. etc. Others (like me) like to do it daily and use the fluctuations as an analysing tool to see how what you did the day before affects what you weigh today, and see how your body reacts to different things. I only log my weight once a week though, and always on the same day. And I don't sweat the small stuff - so to speak. Last Thursday (my weigh-in day) I was 75.8kg. Then Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I was 76.1. And yesterday, on this week's weigh-in day, I was 75.6. This morning I was 75.1. As long as I know that I've kept good track of what I've eaten, I haven't gone too far over my calories for several days in a row, I don't let myself get affected by a small increase on the scale. And I'm aware that that is easier said than done - it has taken me a while to get to this mindset.

Water retention, exercise, salt intake, carb intake, a later meal than usual, and many other things can affect what you see on the scale.

But basically, do whatever feels best for you. Maybe try and weigh yourself once every week or even every two weeks? Or start measuring your waist, hips, and thighs? Or take pictures once a week/fortnight/month and track your progress that way? If your logging is correct you should be losing weight.

On another note though - is there a reason you're aiming to lose 0.2kg per week? That's quite a small amount, and looking at your profile and the amount of weight your tracker says you want to lose, at that rate it would take you almost three years. (I'm just being curious, not putting any judgement or anything else in my question.)
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself 2-3 times a week, as I feel once a week doesn't give me the detailed data I personally prefer.

But if the numbers demotivate you, change to once a week, once a fortnight or even once a month.

Start measuring waistline and see how that one changes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I personally like weighing every day, but the number doesn't affect how I feel about myself or how I go about my day. I put my weight in to a trending app (libra) to see the general trend.

I wouldn't go by the mirror - I find I'm my own worst enemy when I look in the mirror. Seeing small changes is impossible when you see yourself every day. Different lighting, fluid retention, how much and when you ate last, how you're standing etc will all change how you look as well. Monthly progress photos and measurements would give you a better indication if you don't want to weigh yourself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,883 Member
    Options
    fruoshea wrote: »
    On another note though - is there a reason you're aiming to lose 0.2kg per week? That's quite a small amount, and looking at your profile and the amount of weight your tracker says you want to lose, at that rate it would take you almost three years. (I'm just being curious, not putting any judgement or anything else in my question.)

0.5lbs for 13lbs = 26 weeks = 6 months = half a year. If it is a three year target I am obviously missing something here.

Between November 2015 and November 2016 I was quite happy to lose 11.1lbs; that's half the rate the OP is proposing for herself.

In any case I found that www.trendweight.com (happy scale for iphone, or Libra for Android) to be quite helpful in helping me see whether my weight trend was heading in the right direction.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If it demotivates you then daily weighing might not be for you.

Personally I weigh daily even in maintenance, I fluctuate up and down each day 0.25-1lb at least and I know that is perfectly normal. I use a trending app so I know my average weight is where it should be. I know certain things I eat, ie high sodium, more carbs than usual, hormones etc will mean a spike on the scales. Knowing what causes spikes takes any worry out of the process imo.
  • merveozyalin
    merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself, especially daily, is one of those things that split people into two camps. Some people can't do it for varying reasons: some feel demotivated, some feel like they become too obsessed with the numbers, some feel like the fluctuations can be too large, etc. etc. etc. Others (like me) like to do it daily and use the fluctuations as an analysing tool to see how what you did the day before affects what you weigh today, and see how your body reacts to different things. I only log my weight once a week though, and always on the same day. And I don't sweat the small stuff - so to speak. Last Thursday (my weigh-in day) I was 75.8kg. Then Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I was 76.1. And yesterday, on this week's weigh-in day, I was 75.6. This morning I was 75.1. As long as I know that I've kept good track of what I've eaten, I haven't gone too far over my calories for several days in a row, I don't let myself get affected by a small increase on the scale. And I'm aware that that is easier said than done - it has taken me a while to get to this mindset.

Water retention, exercise, salt intake, carb intake, a later meal than usual, and many other things can affect what you see on the scale.

But basically, do whatever feels best for you. Maybe try and weigh yourself once every week or even every two weeks? Or start measuring your waist, hips, and thighs? Or take pictures once a week/fortnight/month and track your progress that way? If your logging is correct you should be losing weight.

I asked some of people here and they said I can't lose 2 pounds a week. Because I feel like starving on 1200 calories. So I had to decrease it to 0.2 kg a week. I know it seems so slow. :( I would like to get results faster but I don't know how to do.
  • fruoshea
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @PAV8888 You're right. I was doing this too early in the morning and converted the lbs the wrong way around - doing 13 lbs times 2.2 to get the kg rather than divided by 2.2. Not always easy to be a non-Imperial user on these forums!

OP, sorry for my mistake and I hope it didn't confuse you!

However, I still personally think 0.2kg is quite a small amount. I have complete understanding for that not everyone thinks like me, so again no judgement or anything like that, but I know that for me it would be difficult to keep my motivation if the scale was only supposed to budge 0.2kg per week. Though in real life it's not that big of a difference, 0.5kg per week mentally feels like a bigger loss. Losing weight is often not easy though, so you just have to find what works for you and what makes you feel better :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @fruoshesa OP doesn't have much weight to lose, in fact from another thread of hers she actually is at a healthy weight and only wants to lose a bit more. So although 0.2 -0.5kg might seem a slow loss per week, its perfect for the OP, especially when its less than 20lbs til goal. Fast weight loss is not healthy at any size but especially when you are at a healthy weight.
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    @PAV8888 You're right. I was doing this too early in the morning and converted the lbs the wrong way around - doing 13 lbs times 2.2 to get the kg rather than divided by 2.2. Not always easy to be a non-Imperial user on these forums!

OP, sorry for my mistake and I hope it didn't confuse you!

It's okay. You made me realise it will take 6 months o.o Oh my...I changed it to 0.5kg a week. Let's see if I can handle 1230 cals a day.

• merveozyalin
    Options
    @fruoshesa OP doesn't have much weight to lose, in fact from another thread of hers she actually is at a healthy weight and only wants to lose a bit more. So although 0.2 -0.5kg might seem a slow loss per week, its perfect for the OP, especially when its less than 20lbs til goal. Fast weight loss is not healthy at any size but especially when you are at a healthy weight.

Yea you're right. I gotta be patient. >.<
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I know its not easy to be patient, none of us usually are LOL, but you will get there :smile: .
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It comes down to personal preference, and if it is annoying or demotivating, then reduce your how often you weigh yourself. But I like the information. I just have my morning routine that includes stepping on my scale. And I like to see the trendline dropping, despite the daily ups and downs. Trendweight.com, Libra or Happy scale all help with this.
  • fruoshea
    edited November 2017
    Options

I don't quite know how to formulate this in a good way, but please read this without any judgement or arrogance or anything else on my behalf. (One of the reasons I don't comment a lot on this forum is because I see how easy it is to unintentionally misconstrue what others have written.)

Having grown up in the fitness industry (my mother is a personal trainer, fitness instructor, health coach and nutritionist) I'm well aware of the ups, downs, pitfalls, and potential dangers of weight loss. And I know that "fast" weight loss gets both more difficult to achieve and more dangerous the lighter you get. But "fast" isn't a universal definition. And provided that you're eating right for your body and your needs, most articles say that losing 1-2lbs per week, or when you get to a lighter weight 1-1.5% of your bodyweight per week, is safe and sustainable. So if OP weighs more than 20 kg (44lbs) and is eating nutrition dense foods, losing more than 0.2kg per week can (I'm not saying will, but can) be healthy.

I didn't say to OP that she needs to lose weight quicker, and I didn't mean to insinuate that either. So I apologise if that's how it came across. I just said that for me, personally, I know my motivation would be hard to keep up. I'm actually only 1lb away from her loss goal, so I know that a slow and steady weight loss is what's required at that weight, but I also know how frustrating it can be to feel like you've done so much and yet the scale doesn't budge. So since OP wrote that she's frustrated by the perceived lack of results, I just wanted to share my perspective.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Some folks use a tape measure instead of a scale. Some folks use how their jeans fit. Daily weighing works for me as none of those other things would. But that's me not you. You do what works for you!
  • fruoshea
    Options
    I asked some of people here and they said I can't lose 2 pounds a week. Because I feel like starving on 1200 calories. So I had to decrease it to 0.2 kg a week. I know it seems so slow. :( I would like to get results faster but I don't know how to do.

I didn't see this reply before I posted my reply to PAV, or my latest one. Maybe you were writing it at the same time. This makes me understand @RunRutheeRun's comment much better though.

At the amount of weight you want to lose, I wouldn't aim to lose 2lbs per week. But you could try to eat to lose 1lb per week for maybe a week and see if you think that's sustainable? And if it isn't working for you then just go back to the 0.5lb per week. 0.5lb is still a loss, and if you're doing it right any loss is good. (i.e. eating right for your body, exercising right for your body etc.)

My aim is to lose on average 1lb per week. Some weeks it might be less. Most weeks it probably won't be more. To lose 1lb per week I need to eat at a daily deficit of 500 kcal. Exercising four times per week at quite a "high" level I can usually reach that goal. I have around 14lbs to lose, but I'm also a few lbs away from being at what my BMI would consider a 'healthy weight'. If you are at a lower weight than me (which I'm assuming) then your calorie goals will be completely different and potentially it'll be a lot more difficult for you to achieve a 500 kcal deficit.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I just weigh myself once a week. It's a happy medium. You don't lose track but not obsessing over it everyday.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I weighed more frequently when I was losing 2 lbs. per week and trying to get on track. Now I'm down to 1 lb. per week I still weigh a few times a week...first thing in the AM as suggested... but usually only log it once since it jumps around too much otherwise. Sometimes to my chagrine I find it is still up, although I shouldn't truly be gaining any weight with my numbers all good for the week. Smaller amounts of weight loss would be very frustrating so maybe weigh every two weeks? For me the inches haven't started reducing yet, so weight is my only way of knowing where I'm at. Yesterday out of curiosity I made the mistake of stepping on someone else's scale in the middle of the afternoon, before eating I think, and was 6.5 lbs higher than my last weight on my scale so won't do that again. Not good for the psyche.