Weighting Myself

Options
2»

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    [quote/

It's okay. You made me realise it will take 6 months o.o Oh my...I changed it to 0.5kg a week. Let's see if I can handle 1230 cals a day.

[/quote]
    Do you add exercise calories to your 1200 calories per day? I too am on 1200 calories which sustains my 3 balanced meals but need the extra couple hundred or so calories to fit in my snacks, which I just can't do without. I find that fruit, higher protein snacks, and sugar-free desserts have helped me with that.

• merveozyalin
    merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    [quote/

It's okay. You made me realise it will take 6 months o.o Oh my...I changed it to 0.5kg a week. Let's see if I can handle 1230 cals a day.
    Do you add exercise calories to your 1200 calories per day? I too am on 1200 calories which sustains my 3 balanced meals but need the extra couple hundred or so calories to fit in my snacks, which I just can't do without. I find that fruit, higher protein snacks, and sugar-free desserts have helped me with that.

[/quote]

Sometimes I exercise yes
  • fruoshea
    fruoshea Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    fruoshea wrote: »
    @fruoshesa OP doesn't have much weight to lose, in fact from another thread of hers she actually is at a healthy weight and only wants to lose a bit more. So although 0.2 -0.5kg might seem a slow loss per week, its perfect for the OP, especially when its less than 20lbs til goal. Fast weight loss is not healthy at any size but especially when you are at a healthy weight.

I don't quite know how to formulate this in a good way, but please read this without any judgement or arrogance or anything else on my behalf. (One of the reasons I don't comment a lot on this forum is because I see how easy it is to unintentionally misconstrue what others have written.)

Having grown up in the fitness industry (my mother is a personal trainer, fitness instructor, health coach and nutritionist) I'm well aware of the ups, downs, pitfalls, and potential dangers of weight loss. And I know that "fast" weight loss gets both more difficult to achieve and more dangerous the lighter you get. But "fast" isn't a universal definition. And provided that you're eating right for your body and your needs, most articles say that losing 1-2lbs per week, or when you get to a lighter weight 1-1.5% of your bodyweight per week, is safe and sustainable. So if OP weighs more than 20 kg (44lbs) and is eating nutrition dense foods, losing more than 0.2kg per week can (I'm not saying will, but can) be healthy.

I didn't say to OP that she needs to lose weight quicker, and I didn't mean to insinuate that either. So I apologise if that's how it came across. I just said that for me, personally, I know my motivation would be hard to keep up. I'm actually only 1lb away from her loss goal, so I know that a slow and steady weight loss is what's required at that weight, but I also know how frustrating it can be to feel like you've done so much and yet the scale doesn't budge. So since OP wrote that she's frustrated by the perceived lack of results, I just wanted to share my perspective.

So because you have no patience, everyone else should be the same?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with aiming to lose half a pound a week -- and often, that's recommended for someone who is at a healthy weight, and just wants to get leaner. It gives more calories to play with, makes the approach less of a chore, and generally makes hormonal issues more marginal.

Thank you for showing exactly what I mean. Where have I said there is anything wrong with losing 0.5lbs per week? Where have I said I have no patience? Where have I said everyone should be like me?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,743 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The question upthread was whether you eat back your exercise calories which would have your eating and net 1250 or whatever it was while actually consuming a bit more.

I would also bring up in the discussion of acceptable weight loss rates that 0.5% to 1% has been seen in a few studies to be more lean mass preserving than 1% to 1.5%, and in general you would peg 1% as the limit for someone who isn't even overweight (overweight and obese stand in as a proxies for fat %, in case a BMI obese but very little fat available to lose athlete is reading this)

A much preferred way of looking at things would be % deficit off TDEE. And a 10% to 20% deficit (up to 25% while obese) might be a much smarter way of looking at things when taking lean mass preservation and energy availability for exercise into account.

Also the leaner the individual the more important re feeds and diet breaks would be.

And the harder it will be to figure out the individual's fat level over time.

Hence patience, trending weight apps, the concept of ranges, and multiple goals including health ones beyond just weight.

Or balls to the wall with a big cut and then the usual return to normalcy while hormonally primed for weight regain.

No credentials or associations; just an amateur reading up for my own benefit :wink: