Newbie - advice! (looking for friends too!)

Options
Hello, I'm new to MFP and need some advice. My BMI is currently just on the overweight side for my height, I walk 10000+ steps daily for my job but other then that don't do any other exercise (because I honestly don't enjoy exercise, I'm very lazy!) but any advice on what other exercises would be good to burn some fat? I don't like running or going to the gym but I heard weight training is good? Am open to all suggestions! My goal is to lose 10kg+ in 4 months but I don't know how realistic this is with Christmas approaching and everything!

Secondly I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with no snacks during the day, but I usually fall off the bandwagon with my eating and go back to eating unhealthy, any suggestions to stay motivated and stay away from unhealthy foods?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and I'd love some friends to help me out on the way if you'd like to add me!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to MFP and need some advice. My BMI is currently just on the overweight side for my height, I walk 10000+ steps daily for my job but other then that don't do any other exercise (because I honestly don't enjoy exercise, I'm very lazy!) but any advice on what other exercises would be good to burn some fat? I don't like running or going to the gym but I heard weight training is good? Am open to all suggestions! My goal is to lose 10kg+ in 4 months but I don't know how realistic this is with Christmas approaching and everything!

Secondly I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with no snacks during the day, but I usually fall off the bandwagon with my eating and go back to eating unhealthy, any suggestions to stay motivated and stay away from unhealthy foods?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and I'd love some friends to help me out on the way if you'd like to add me!

What do you consider an unhealthy food? There isn't really an unhealthy food as such, just an unhealthy amount of said food. Moderate the not so nutritionally dense stuff, if you can't moderate those sorts of foods, don't buy them.

Strength training is good for maintaining muscle whilst you lose weight, which is a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily have to be weights, if that isn't something you'd enjoy. There are bodyweight exercises, resistance bands and pilates exercises that you can do at home.

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

What do you consider an unhealthy food? There isn't really an unhealthy food as such, just an unhealthy amount of said food. Moderate the not so nutritionally dense stuff, if you can't moderate those sorts of foods, don't buy them.

There is some minor room for debate about minutiae here but in broad terms this is correct. I eat in a way that runs contrary to the 'clean eating' notion but because I get my calories, macronutrients and micronutrients correct I'm in great shape (if I do say so myself).

That's one of the things the app is best for - looking at exactly what you're eating and fitting that into a clear picture of what is really going into your mouth. It's not nearly as hard as it might seem at first.

Feel free to add me if you like; I've cut weight, built muscle and done boatloads of cardio and weightlifting in the last couple of years. I could probably answer most questions with a reasonably scientific response. Cheers and good luck.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I consider any food that offers nutrition, with some vitamins, minerals, and fiber a healthy food as long as it fits in my calorie budget for the day. Refined sugar is pretty much the only thing I don't eat, and I cut back on white starches. I try to watch my fats somewhat as they are my weakness and add calories quickly...although I do love butter and bacon and treat myself to them daily in small amounts. I eat balanced, wholesome meals choosing foods from all or most of the food groups which tends to keep my macros well balanced and my micronutrients with good averages. We are all different when it comes to snacking. I eat a lot of snacks because I prefer smaller meals and grazing throughout the day. I try to eat some nutritious snacks like veggie sticks and dip or fruit, higher protein snacks like beef jerky or nuts, and some sugar free desserts like ice cream and pudding which satisfy me and don't add many calories. I avoid most processed foods, deep fried foods, fast foods, and high calorie foods except on special occasions. As for exercising, I am older and find it hard to do too much with my low energy levels and bad back, but manage to work in some yoga, Pilates, or aerobics at home everyday and it gives me enough extra calories to allow for the extra snacks. I really enjoy some of them especially if they have music and dance like moves. I have 5 lb. weights that I use with some of the exercises which helps with beginning to strengthen arm muscles. Lots of stuff on You Tube and you can do it in the privacy of your own home. Don't feel guilty about not liking gyms....they are not for everyone. The only reason I've thought of joining a gym would be to swim, which is a great way to exercise. Walking of course is good and something we all can do more of. The other thing you can do is increase general activity levels by doing everyday things like cleaning house, going grocery shopping, working in the yard, even cooking from scratch. It all burns calories and is so much better than sitting and watching TV.
  • strongkitty101
    strongkitty101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I consider any food that offers nutrition, with some vitamins, minerals, and fiber a healthy food as long as it fits in my calorie budget for the day. Refined sugar is pretty much the only thing I don't eat, and I cut back on white starches. I try to watch my fats somewhat as they are my weakness and add calories quickly...although I do love butter and bacon and treat myself to them daily in small amounts. I eat balanced, wholesome meals choosing foods from all or most of the food groups which tends to keep my macros well balanced and my micronutrients with good averages. We are all different when it comes to snacking. I eat a lot of snacks because I prefer smaller meals and grazing throughout the day. I try to eat some nutritious snacks like veggie sticks and dip or fruit, higher protein snacks like beef jerky or nuts, and some sugar free desserts like ice cream and pudding which satisfy me and don't add many calories. I avoid most processed foods, deep fried foods, fast foods, and high calorie foods except on special occasions. As for exercising, I am older and find it hard to do too much with my low energy levels and bad back, but manage to work in some yoga, Pilates, or aerobics at home everyday and it gives me enough extra calories to allow for the extra snacks. I really enjoy some of them especially if they have music and dance like moves. I have 5 lb. weights that I use with some of the exercises which helps with beginning to strengthen arm muscles. Lots of stuff on You Tube and you can do it in the privacy of your own home. Don't feel guilty about not liking gyms....they are not for everyone. The only reason I've thought of joining a gym would be to swim, which is a great way to exercise. Walking of course is good and something we all can do more of. The other thing you can do is increase general activity levels by doing everyday things like cleaning house, going grocery shopping, working in the yard, even cooking from scratch. It all burns calories and is so much better than sitting and watching TV.

This was really helpful, we have stretching classes which I'm thinking of joining and I'm trying not to totally give up all my favourite foods like you mentioned, just smaller portions! Thanks very much for your help!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    BMI is a function of your weight in relation to your height. So your BMI can't be overweight for your height - you are overweight according to BMI if your BMI is more than 24.9.

If you don't like exercise, you can either not exercise, or force yourself to exercise. No specific exercises burn fat. You burn calories 24/7, and a higher level of activity, in total, makes your body burn more calories.

10 kilos is not a very unrealistic goal in 4 months, depending on your weight - it's up to you, not the calendar, to stick to a calorie deficit or not. But it's usually not a good idea to have deadlines for goals you can't directly control - like your weight. What you can control, is your food intake and the amount of exercise you do. Weightloss will follow according to the accumulated effort you put in.

You can't really motivate yourself to eat in a certain way just because it's supposed to be healthy - at least not for long - it has to suit your schedule and preferences. You can eat what you like. No foods are healthy or unhealthy - your diet can be more or less healthy. A healthy diet is balanced and varied. You will still have to have boundaries, which means telling yourself "no" from time to time. You should have everything you need, but you can't always have everything you want.