Losing weight post gallbladder removal

Options
I had my gallbladder removed January 14th.. I was so full of stones there were too many to count. I had started a lower fat diet beforehand to avoid the horrid attacks. I couldn't hardly eat anything afterwards because of nausea and still have bouts of it. I fell back into not so great eating habits.. Not terrible, but not great either. I managed to gain 25 pounds since then when before I was maintaining fine. I have about 123 pounds to lose for my big goal. For now, I'm just trying to work on figuring out what to eat without my gallbladder to be able to lose and not keep gaining. I've been watching it and working out 4/days a week for a couple weeks and have lost nothing. Any tips from anyone whose been there?

Replies

• WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder removed about 6 years ago. It had very little effect on my body afterwards, apart from not being in agonising pain!
    I find my milk intolerance, which was mild prior to my gallbladder removal, is a lot stronger now, so I try and avoid too much dairy, and I still try and avoid too much fat, because my body can't cope well with it.

Apart from that, gallbladder removal should have no effect on your weight-loss journey.

When you say that you managed to gain, due to 'not great eating habits' what eating habits are these? That's what you need to focus on, not the op.
    Remember, you need to eat at deficit. Eating at deficit is easier if you're eating healthier foods, because you can eat more of them into your calorie allowance.
    Are you weighing and logging everything? If you're exercising 4x a week, the only answer seems to be that you're eating more than you think you are.

• koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not sure but would seek the advice of an professional such as an doctor
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    After my gall bladder removal I had to stay clear of fats/dairy for a month and slowly reintroduce them. That was nearly 7 years ago. I actually lost a lot of weight leading up to and following the surgery as we tended to eat too much red meat prior to that. It did change the proportion of meat we used in meals going forward.

I am fortunate in that I don't appear to be affected by foods since surgery. So for me other than the initial recovery period in which I over did things at home with a toddler and a new born the removal of it didnt affect my life at all. My MIL has issues eating high fat foods such as chips they go straight through her.

Sorry not much help to your situation.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Since having my gal bladder out I have lost 24 lbs, and this time 43 lbs. I have not found it difficult at all, in fact, it has been easier this time and I am in my mid 40's and premenopausal! I did gain some weight after having my gal bladder out four years ago, but my eating was out of control and I did not move much.

Your weight gain is not because you had your gal bladder removed, it is because you are not eating at a calorie deficit or at a maintenance level. Many people who have their gal bladder out go back to eating the foods that they tried to avoid when they had attacks now that they are not longer in pain.

If you are really having a hard time I would recommend speaking with your Dr or a nutritionist to help figure out a diet plan that can help you.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You have to gradually get used to increasing amounts of fats. The low fat diet is what caused the loss of our Gall bladders. Now you'll need to reduce carbs to burn fat, so you'll need to increase healthy fats to compensate. Read the excellent book, "The Rosedal Diet". You'll learn the science behind fat loss.
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Had my gallbladder removed two days ago.. Not hungry at all. I suffer with sugar issues..not a diabetic .
    However I am a health freak and never ever ate junk food..occasional indulgence -yes.
    That would intail once in two months-pizza a beer night.
    I work out and I'm 53 yr old female.
    I live a very active life style.
    All that I've read was people gaining weight and just horrible stories.
    I am thinking that they never lived a healthy life prior. How can one just think and or assume they can eat crap and expect to lose weight. Well not I.

So my question is, had you had any weight issues-if you life a healthy and I mean a real healthy lifestyle. Advise is always welcomed and of course I take all information with a grain of salt. thank you in advance. :smile: