Men’s exercise shorts

Options
I’m trying to get my husband to start exercising more. One of his complaints is it’s too hot (and it often is really hot). However, he wears cotton T-shirt’s and khaki shorts to walk or work out in. I’ve found some dry fit shirts for him. What would y’all suggest for shorts? I’m assuming he might like something not too clingy like khaki, but khaki just seems so uncomfortable to exercise in. Last time we went walking together, I tried to observe what the men were wearing and oddly, quite a few were wearing khaki shorts.

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Some gym shorts would be a good start.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is partially true. I want him to exercise more than he wants to exercise. There are health reasons for this not vanity. But he also is exercising. He’s just choosing to wear khaki shorts when he does it. He is also having trouble with the heat in general - even to work on his boat which he loves to do - he is not doing as much bc of the heat. The heat intolerance is relatively new and may be due to medicine, weight gain or just age or all 3. So, I’m trying to help him find some clothes that can help keep you cooler. I know once I discovered dry fit, I’lll never go back to regular cotton.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Well I am not sure where you guys live, but here it is Fall and cooler. When I go to the gym I wear light weight gym shorts and T shirt. Buy them from walmart nothing fancy. Well one thing is if he is on meds for things that is maybe due to his weight, then think of the money you could save if not having to buy medicine and that is IF losing weight would solve some of them issues.

• jcordray1978
    jcordray1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... this one is tricky for me to answer because I have conflicting thoughts. On the one hand, I think your desire to see your husband exercise more is a good thing. If he has already started by himself, then great. On the other hand, I think you're wrong about khakis! I love 'em! They are not too hot to wear and often feel a lot more comfortable than other fabrics - at least to me. They don't go clingy when I sweat and they do not smell as bad after a walk or workout, either.

A few other suggestions may be helpful. Does he drink enough water/juice to offset the heat? Could you just walk at a different time of the day? Could you walk in a different place like some woods or near water? Would a cap/hat help?

I use a hat for the heat when I am camping. It looks terrible but it has a great feature. Built into the inside brim of the hat is a cloth strip that retains water really well. So on a hot day I soak it in cold water and the little band of cold wetness helps me feel cooler for an hour or two.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Walmart has inexpensive, lightweight gym shorts....with pockets! Not sure how much sweating he's doing, but compression shorts can be more breathable than regular underwear.

Side note - as someone who has severe heat intolerance, my advice would be not to push him to do things in the heat. If he's avoiding doing things he enjoys because of it, it's probably causing him real issues. Being pushed beyond your body's limit in the heat (or having your body overheat on its own) can cause (usually temporary, but painful/disturbing nonetheless) physical and cognitive issues. If HE really WANTS to exercise, consider a gym membership (with good AC) during the hotter months.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it. Gym shorts exist for a reason. They're no more revealing than khaki and so much more comfortable. I'm surprised that he doesn't already have a pair to wear when just bumming around the house.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I say, to hell with the shorts. Its time to re-claim his mahood and to exercise nude from the waist down.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I wear
    Dry fit shirt/compression shorts/capris

Underneath

Cotton T shirt/Hanes drawstring cotton shorts.

The dryfit/compression gear keeps me cool, and the cotton cover garments keep other people from staring.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My husband likes long loose basketball type shorts and drifit type shirts and wicking undies, no cotton. He likes v-neck t-shirts that aren't constricting. Some guys prefer sleeveless t-shirts. Again, no cotton. He gets all his gym gear at goodwill. Lightweight wicking hiking shorts are good for walks, not khakis which usually are fairly heavy fabric.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    What country are you in?

Dri Fit is brilliant, I agree. But khaki shorts are perfectly fine to walk in, if he's not too hot in them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My husband wears basketball style shorts. They're very light and airy.
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cotton tees are really bad for exercising. Get tshirts meant for activity, running shirts or the likes. For shorts, I tend to use soccer shorts from my favorite teams, they're comfy and excellent at transporting sweat away.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    What country are you in?

Dri Fit is brilliant, I agree. But khaki shorts are perfectly fine to walk in, if he's not too hot in them.

We are in the U.S. - very far south where it is often very hot and humid with mild winters. Subtropical.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    What country are you in?

We are in the U.S. - very far south where it is often very hot and humid with mild winters. Subtropical.

https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=39270037

Check out the link direct from the MFP site.

Happy Shopping.

also.... Body Glide is a great product to protect from Chub Rub; I used it for marathon training.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For cycling I wear shorts from Performance Bicycle. The baggy shorts come with a liner, but I have a pair that I removed the liner from. I found them to be comfortable and I like the pockets even without the liner. But the important thing is that people wear something other than cotton. Cotton retains moisture.
  • chuckd7575
    chuckd7575 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Basketball shorts are awesome