Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Open letter to President of American Heart Association as he recovers from a recent heart attack

2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    There is a word for people who become smug when someone they disagree with dies in an "ironic" manner (ie health professional dying of heart attack). They are called A**holes.

So much this.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    This is interesting - How would any of us create a healthier thyroid?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    My cardiologist died of a massive coronary. He was outwardly one of the healthiest people I knew. :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Oh, is this now generally about heart disease?

Of course the majority of doctors and experts do not agree that the problem is carbs or too little fat, as you seem to suggest. That's why mainstream advice is such things as: more vegetables and fruits, whole grains (vs. refined) and other whole food sources of carbs (like legumes, tubers), lean meats, limit sat fat, limit added sugar and low nutrient treats. (It seems silly to try to attack the general medical/nutritional advice from the experts with an appeal to authority. Why is this random doctor more trustworthy?)

Anyway, with respect to the mainstream advice I listed above, I've yet to see any evidence that that is actually bad advice. It's pretty consistent with the blue zone diets (add in that they don't eat a lot of meat, and a good bit of that tends to be fish, and -- IMPORTANT -- have positive, healthy lifestyles with social connections and limited stress).

Living in the US without a traditional diet that takes care of it for me, I personally would pay attention to omega 3 to omega 6 ratio, avoid lots of highly processed oils like corn or soybean (which isn't something you need to think about if you eat a diet largely based on whole foods). But more than that I'd make sure I was eating lots of vegetables and not pretend that a diet is healthy based simply on macro ratio.

If one wants to think about inflammation (often just a buzzword these days), here's a good list of foods that contribute to and fight it: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

(The specifics may be very different for some with digestive issues or autoimmune diseases, so this is not intended to apply to them. I know fiber can be an issue for some with Crohn's, for example, and there are specific trigger foods for some conditions that usually vary by person.)

Another thing worth thinking about some, IMO, is the gut biome, and it seems that lots of vegetables and fruit and sources of fiber are good for that too.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    That's because the vast majority are eating more and moving less.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Seriously, the advice "save some of your money for retirement" doesn't seem to be working for the vast majority, either, because they don't follow it. Should we tell everybody to bet on horses?

This is a great analogy.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    All the cardiologists I work with acknowledge the role of inflammation in the development of coronary heart disease, and the growing evidence base to support this.

They don’t all attribute that to carbs though.

One in particular does push for intake of good saturated fats and asks his patients to incorporate coconut oil to their diets as he states there is evidence (there is some) it can play a protective role

Our counter argument to that is that why then are the people of PNG who eat a diet rich in coconut oil so susceptible to coronary heart disease?

The answer is something something more than one factor etcetera and so forth.