First day..here is my diary open for you

Options
2222fitmommy22222
2222fitmommy22222 Posts: 47 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone,

Today was day 1...I would like your help with my food choices.

Here is my info:

Height : 5
Current weight : 204
Goal weight 150
Targetiing calories: 1200-1500 based on the exercise.
Workouts per week : 4 times Cardio ( about 45 mins each ) and 4 times lifting
Main goal : losing 2 pounds a week .

Could you please have a look at my diary and tell me what do you think ?

Plz feel free to add me

Thank you

Replies

• 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    Ĺ
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Where's the fat? 16g is ridiculously low

Where the vegetables?

Where are the actual meals?

Plus, breaded and oven baked chicken breast is in no way free of carbs or fat unless it's breaded in chicken breast.
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    Where's the fat? 16g is ridiculously low

Where the vegetables?

Where are the actual meals?

Plus, breaded and oven baked chicken breast is in no way free of carbs or fat unless it's breaded in chicken breast.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I agree about all what you said.... today was a crazy day for me and the challenge was to log everything I put into my mouth even small things.

Tomorrow is the day where I will meal plan for the rest of the week. Veg and healthy fat will be in.

Thank you again
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Congrats on staying under your calorie goal. The first thing that jumps out to me is there are no vegetables which will be your number one friend. Your sugar is very high; watch out for things like dried cranberries that are high in calories and sugar and not real filling. Also, as the numbers point out your carbs are high and fats are low. I don't follow a low-carb diet but do cut down on my sugars and white starches. Keeping protein at adequate levels is very important. One day is hardly representative of a diet so just keep an eye on your macros and micronutrients and make sure they are within limits most days. Best of luck to you.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    another vote for upping fat. I struggle to get fat in my diet and notice when fat falls low ( i pretty much live off plain fruit and veg when i dont put proper focus into getting fats/proteins lol) ill be hungrier and have less energy after a bit. Ill feel amazing and energetic, Until i dont. Even easy stuff like full fat cream cheese vs fat free. Fat is important
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    Congrats on staying under your calorie goal. The first thing that jumps out to me is there are no vegetables which will be your number one friend. Your sugar is very high; watch out for things like dried cranberries that are high in calories and sugar and not real filling. Also, as the numbers point out your carbs are high and fats are low. I don't follow a low-carb diet but do cut down on my sugars and white starches. Keeping protein at adequate levels is very important. One day is hardly representative of a diet so just keep an eye on your macros and micronutrients and make sure they are within limits most days. Best of luck to you.

Thank you very much... I already bought a lot of veg today for my mea planning tomorrow....it will be better than today
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    another vote for upping fat. I struggle to get fat in my diet and notice when fat falls low ( i pretty much live off plain fruit and veg when i dont put proper focus into getting fats/proteins lol) ill be hungrier and have less energy after a bit. Ill feel amazing and energetic, Until i dont. Even easy stuff like full fat cream cheese vs fat free. Fat is important

Thank you for the advice...any recommended fat options? I have almond butter that I use sometimes....anyother options ?
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thank you for the advice...any recommended fat options? I have almond butter that I use sometimes....anyother options ?

nuts, butters, oils, fatty meats, oily fish like salmon, full fat dairy, avocado, eggs etc
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options

nuts, butters, oils, fatty meats, oily fish like salmon, full fat dairy, avocado, eggs etc

Thank you... I will consider adding these options to my food list.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, since logging is tricky at first, is just to log your regular diet for a week and get used to the process. Then you can look at what you usually eat and see where to make changes, instead of starting over from scratch.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2017
    Options
    definatly up fat but dont let macros panic you. just try to maintain decent fat and protein and good calorie level and youll be okay. Youll learn what keeps your body happiest in time. Really take the time to internally reflect after different foods on how you feel, and how long it satisfies you. Over time youll phase out the foods not worth it that dont satisfy you. Its the most important step to long term changes honestly. Theres no need to do full diet overhaul from day 1. No need to panic or only eat clean or cook up complicated health meals. Simple and small changes get you where you wanna be in 1 relatively happy healthy piece

edit to add: nothing is wrong with carbs youll just get us suggesting fat for satiety and hormone regulation, And protein for muscle retention ...Carbs are good fuel most of what i eat is carbs its what gets me through super active days. Felt the need to specify why i didnt recommend carbs specifically lol.
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    My suggestion, since logging is tricky at first, is just to log your regular diet for a week and get used to the process. Then you can look at what you usually eat and see where to make changes, instead of starting over from scratch.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have tried several times before to log my meals but I always failed. This time I made my decision to succeed and learn new things every day.
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    definatly up fat but dont let macros panic you. just try to maintain decent fat and protein and good calorie level and youll be okay. Youll learn what keeps your body happiest in time. Really take the time to internally reflect after different foods on how you feel, and how long it satisfies you. Over time youll phase out the foods not worth it that dont satisfy you. Its the most important step to long term changes honestly. Theres no need to do full diet overhaul from day 1. No need to panic or only eat clean or cook up complicated health meals. Simple and small changes get you where you wanna be in 1 relatively happy healthy piece

edit to add: nothing is wrong with carbs youll just get us suggesting fat for satiety and hormone regulation, And protein for muscle retention ...Carbs are good fuel most of what i eat is carbs its what gets me through super active days. Felt the need to specify why i didnt recommend carbs specifically lol.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your opinion.

I think the process is about trials and error and see what works for each one. My goal for this week to keep my veg and fats in during the day and see how it will affect my body and my weight next week.

Thank you again
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Weight varies day to day for many reasons. If your brain hamsters can handle it you will get a more "true" picture of your weight level if you record your weigh every day (when you get up and after using the bathroom but before eating or drinking) in a weight trend app or web site. Since one of the primary reasons for weight change is water weight variation, it is often hard for pre-menopausal women to judge weight loss or gain if they don't take a good 5-8 weeks of weigh ins into account.

Having said all that, keeping to your caloric goals while eating a variety of macros that satisfy you will get you there!

Fiber helps move things along, keeps us feeling full, and it is generally considered wise for women to eat at least 24g (men 38g) of fiber a day (or more!)

Healthy fats, and in particular fats from fish and from mono or poly-unsaturated vegetable and nut sources, are A1, and a good minimum to aim for would be 0.4g per lb of bodyweight at your goal weight within the normal weight range.

So for someone with a goal weight of 150 (assuming 150 was within the normal weight range for them), that would be at least 60g of healthy fats. Minimising saturated fats would still be a good idea. I believe the american heart association still recommends less than 6% of calories from saturated fat which would be about 11g in your case.

While the RDA for protein is something like 0.8g per kg of bodyweight, there is an overwhelming number of studies that suggests that especially in a deficit, and absent health issues that would preclude doing so, eating 2x the RDA of protein is lean mass preserving.

This would put your protein minimum in the 0.6 to 0.8g per LB of bodyweight category. Again using your 150lb in the normal weight range target, this would give you a minimum goal for protein in the 90 to 120gram per day range.

The rest would be a mixture of carbs, fats, and protein that would both satisfy and satiate you and provide you with all the vitamins and micro-nutrients and the occasional treats you desire ;-)

Or, you know... just eat what you normally would. Log it. And then go over it and pick the things to keep and the things to improve on :smiley:
  • dwilliamca
    Options
    I looked at your diary today and see you changed your headings to match the macros. I think you may be making it more difficult on yourself for several reasons. First most foods contain two of more of the macros so you'll be guessing where to log it, secondly using the headings as proposed by logging meals as they occur during the day helps you to make sure you are on track all day long (I have calorie limits set for each meal/snack), and thirdly MFP logs the macros for you along with the total calories. On the web base it is at the bottom of the columns and on the app you just flip the screen sideways. Keep working on protein and vegetables, and be sure to eat all of your calories. Eating under 1200 calories isn't healthy and will most likely leave you hungry. I noticed you went low carb today, perhaps unintentionally. Remember fiber is important too.
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    Day 2 is done
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Weight varies day to day for many reasons. If your brain hamsters can handle it you will get a more "true" picture of your weight level if you record your weigh every day (when you get up and after using the bathroom but before eating or drinking) in a weight trend app or web site. Since one of the primary reasons for weight change is water weight variation, it is often hard for pre-menopausal women to judge weight loss or gain if they don't take a good 5-8 weeks of weigh ins into account.

Having said all that, keeping to your caloric goals while eating a variety of macros that satisfy you will get you there!

Fiber helps move things along, keeps us feeling full, and it is generally considered wise for women to eat at least 24g (men 38g) of fiber a day (or more!)

Healthy fats, and in particular fats from fish and from mono or poly-unsaturated vegetable and nut sources, are A1, and a good minimum to aim for would be 0.4g per lb of bodyweight at your goal weight within the normal weight range.

So for someone with a goal weight of 150 (assuming 150 was within the normal weight range for them), that would be at least 60g of healthy fats. Minimising saturated fats would still be a good idea. I believe the american heart association still recommends less than 6% of calories from saturated fat which would be about 11g in your case.

While the RDA for protein is something like 0.8g per kg of bodyweight, there is an overwhelming number of studies that suggests that especially in a deficit, and absent health issues that would preclude doing so, eating 2x the RDA of protein is lean mass preserving.

This would put your protein minimum in the 0.6 to 0.8g per LB of bodyweight category. Again using your 150lb in the normal weight range target, this would give you a minimum goal for protein in the 90 to 120gram per day range.

The rest would be a mixture of carbs, fats, and protein that would both satisfy and satiate you and provide you with all the vitamins and micro-nutrients and the occasional treats you desire ;-)

Or, you know... just eat what you normally would. Log it. And then go over it and pick the things to keep and the things to improve on :smiley:

Thank you so much for the valuabe information. I have learnt alot on how to adjust my macros. But I have a question, when calculating my macros based on the body weight, shall I adjust on my current weight which is 204 pounds or the goal weight which is 150 ?
  • 2222fitmommy22222
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I looked at your diary today and see you changed your headings to match the macros. I think you may be making it more difficult on yourself for several reasons. First most foods contain two of more of the macros so you'll be guessing where to log it, secondly using the headings as proposed by logging meals as they occur during the day helps you to make sure you are on track all day long (I have calorie limits set for each meal/snack), and thirdly MFP logs the macros for you along with the total calories. On the web base it is at the bottom of the columns and on the app you just flip the screen sideways. Keep working on protein and vegetables, and be sure to eat all of your calories. Eating under 1200 calories isn't healthy and will most likely leave you hungry. I noticed you went low carb today, perhaps unintentionally. Remember fiber is important too.

I agree with you. I tried to make things more specific but it was a bit hard. Today I'm returning to the regular meal names. Thank you
  • dwilliamca
    Options
    Be sure to eat back at least some of your exercise calories. Some people rely on their numbers off fitbit and eat them all back and others go for half (lots of threads on that), but looks like you didn't eat any of them. That is way too big of a deficit. Your deficit is built in the calculation for calories all ready and exercise calories are added on top and meant to be consumed for energy. I left my macros the same for about a month, then decide to adjust to meet closer to what I was actually eating, 40carbs/35fats/25prot. My goal is to actually drop fats a bit more and raise protein some. I actually swapped out sodium for fiber on my main screen, because it is a problem area for me and my diet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much for the valuabe information. I have learnt alot on how to adjust my macros. But I have a question, when calculating my macros based on the body weight, shall I adjust on my current weight which is 204 pounds or the goal weight which is 150 ?

My personal opinion would be to set your minimums as per targeted body weight (or per your weight at BMI 25 if your target weight is higher)

A smaller body will inevitably have some lesser amount of lean mass (and fat, of course) than a larger body.

So if you try to provide for your larger body AND at the same time cut calories you will have a more unbalanced diet and you will be performing (in my own mind) a task of questionable necessity. But you do want to fully provide for that smaller body as well as you can.

Remember in all this that calories are the primary driver for weight loss. Well beyond macros.

Try to figure out a long term sustainable way of eating within your calories. That comes first. Optimise and play with your macros... that comes second unless your "natural" macros are looking really whacked (I've seen people eating 10g protein or 2g fiber on 1200 Cal diets... not great ideas I don't think)