Running Help Please

Options
mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
I want to train through the winter to maintain 10 miles. I have no idea how, I only can find training plans for races. I want to run half marathons in March and May. Last winter was my first winter running and I'd just completed my first marathon, I did P90X and Insanity through the winter. I still plan on doing this, but need to still run, which I didn't do last year. I'm comfortable with my plan of adding both in, just not sure how exactly.

Because I was off running for 5 weeks due to surgery - I'm only back this week. My times are way slower than they were, but that isn't as important to me as the mileage. I'd rather go slower but longer. 5 weeks ago, I ran a 1/2 marathon, so was at a good training distance for that, I had worked up to that mileage. Here is my plan will it work?

August - work back up to 7 miles
September - run 8 miles 1x per week
October - run 9 miles 1x per week
November - run 10 miles 1x per week
December - run 11 miles 1 x per week
January run 12 miles 1 x per week
February - run 2 weeks at 13 miles and 2 weeks at 11 miles
March - half marathon.

I will run shorter distances on my lunch hour of 3 miles and 5 miles on two days. I'm really concerned about weather, it gets cold and snow around December 1 and will last off and on through February. Do I need anything special to run in the cold - not super cold - but an average of 32-40 for the winter days.

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to include recovery weeks. Like 3 weeks at 7 miles, 1 week at 5.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Great plan and good for you. I live in a colder place than you and simply don't run in the winter (I also don't run anything like as much as you). I understand from others, that generally, when you run in the cold, dress for about 10 degrees warmer than it is and dress in layers. No cotton close to your body (not even socks!). A wind blocking top layer seems like a good idea. Also a hat, of course, but probably also a non-hat thing like a headband or ear muffs to keep your ears warm if you take off your hat because you're warming up too much. I'd think a specialty running store in your area could give you some really good advice.
  • bruno80
    bruno80 Posts: 2
    Options
    I live in W. Michigan so I understand the cold and snow. I do road running with similar goals to you during the winter. I ran my first marathon last fall and plan on making it a yearly thing. For me, I would run five days/week during the winter. I would do two runs of five miles and one run of six-seven miles. Then on the weekends, I would do a five mile run and then my long run. Keep a very nice mileage base when marathon training kicked back off this spring.

For running in the cold, layers are the key for two reasons. The bottom layer will get wet and you want to minimize exposing wet skin to the air. The other reason is that you can take layers off once you get going on your run. I have also found a good pair of running gloves are key.

Those are my thoughts. Hope they help.
    Good luck.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I am a bit of an expert on cold weather running. I tend to run outside until the temperatures hit about -20 F and have competed in 5K's at temperatures of -40 F. I think your plan is fairly sound.

You know that you'll need to build gradually after your surgery and that is good. Try to run 5 days per week and ensure you take a couple of rest days a week as well.

I run some base runs of about 3-4 miles each during the week (1 of either Hills or Intervals (Speed training), a Tempo and an Easy Run) and then a Long Slow Run on Saturday or Sunday. Your Long Slow Run would be the longest run of the week and done at a slower pace. I know some people like to do the LSR's doing Run 10\Walk 1.

As for equipment, It depends on your environment. I'm from Winnipeg and our sidewalks tend to ice up really badly in the winter. I have Yak Trax which are like cleats for the ice. Otherwise, I just dress for the temperatures keeping in mind that you can always loosen a layer/undo a zipper what have you to cool down. If your temp's are only just touching freezing you likely won't need that much at all and just beware of ice/slippery patches as you go.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    With that much time before your half, I would get runs of up to 15 miles before your race.

As far as running in the cold, for me gloves and a wind breaking jacket are the most critical items. Followed by something to cover my ears & a pair of smart wool socks.

I've run down to as low as 9F