I need advice about hound dogs

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It also helps if you wear them out! I take my beagle/basset out on VERY long hikes in the woods...he used to escape every chance he got, and now he just wants to cuddle on the couch when we're not hiking!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should adopt a dog so they can take a picture with them and use it as their av.

:grumble:

:mad: :explode: :mad:

But yes, everyone should go adopt a dog! (loving people though, no crazies!)
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I think everyone should adopt a dog so they can take a picture with them and use it as their av.

Those are the best kind of dogs to get. :happy: I love my rescues, even if they cause me grief.

Soooo...I'm thinking that I just need to start getting up at 4:30 to go on runs with him. I'll try it out tomorrow & see how the rest of the day goes. Thanks so much, everyone!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Poor Max is going to feel left out though! :sad:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    We spent $2000 putting in an invisible fence around our 5 acres. And the darned neighbors keep giving our dogs treats, so she blows through it on a daily basis! She's a german shepherd mix though, and when we put her collar on, we really have to make sure there isn't hair under it. I'm thinking about shaving a patch on her neck to make it easier.

I yelled (well, complained loudly) at the neighbors last week, asking them if they couldn't see the little white flags running along the edge of the woods. I continued by telling them that if they keep giving her treats I'm afraid she'll start not coming home and wandering further. She got hit by a car on the highway about a mile away this spring, and I don't want it happening again. That's why we got the fence! The neighbor then said he had wondered where she was for a few months.... Jeez.
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Poor Max is going to feel left out though! :sad:

I'm pretty sure "a van down by the river" isn't a good home for a dog
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    We spent $2000 putting in an invisible fence around our 5 acres. And the darned neighbors keep giving our dogs treats, so she blows through it on a daily basis! She's a german shepherd mix though, and when we put her collar on, we really have to make sure there isn't hair under it. I'm thinking about shaving a patch on her neck to make it easier.

I yelled (well, complained loudly) at the neighbors last week, asking them if they couldn't see the little white flags running along the edge of the woods. I continued by telling them that if they keep giving her treats I'm afraid she'll start not coming home and wandering further. She got hit by a car on the highway about a mile away this spring, and I don't want it happening again. That's why we got the fence! The neighbor then said he had wondered where she was for a few months.... Jeez.

My mom & dad have the same problem with their neighbor, but they don't have an invisible fence...they just have a blind chow mix. Ugh. So frustrating. I'm glad they showed concern. :huh: I'm sorry the fence isn't working right! Luckily, we don't have 5 acres, but it is still $1100 for our yard. Looking forward to paying that! :noway:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Those are the best kind of dogs to get. :happy: I love my rescues, even if they cause me grief.

Soooo...I'm thinking that I just need to start getting up at 4:30 to go on runs with him. I'll try it out tomorrow & see how the rest of the day goes. Thanks so much, everyone!

Oh I meant crazy people. :laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Oh I meant crazy people. :laugh:

LOL I know you meant that, but I guess my response wasn't very clear that I understood you. Oops! Funny, though!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    We had an invisible fence for our lab and Yorkies when we lived in town. We had 1 acre. It only cost around $250 at Menards + some extra wire. We installed it ourselves. We used a gas powered edger to cut a trench and just put the wire in the trench. It was wonderful. We never really had any problems with it except that it don't keep other dogs out. The lab only ran through it once when my kids were in the road and the neighbor guy through my daughter over his shoulder and she squilled. The dog bit the bullet and took after him.
  • take2spicy
    take2spicy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have one he's 13 months old. Hes a real love but if he gets wind of anything a squirrel a cat etc. I have trouble getting his attention. He is big and fast. Hes calmed down a bit in the last month or so. My only advice is tire your dog out they need to run a lot of exercise. At least mine does or he's a big pita once inside. If he's had enough exercise he's a big dopey love and likes to snuggle.
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This thread is nine years old. Her dog is probably chasing racoons in the sky by now.