I like my body size but i have to much body fat

Options
Im 23 years old 5ft11 and i weigh 244lbs
I been on a deficit for 4 weeks and started going to the gym and i lost 8lbs so far.

My plan was to lose 50-60lbs then start building muscle but now im not sure what to do to move forward because i like my size but i have too much body fat ( never measured so not sure what my % is but i know its on the higher end)

Should i loose weight then build muscle or should i build muscle and just burn off body fat and not worry about how much weight im loosing ?

Replies

• WhiteFb6_Si
    WhiteFb6_Si Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thats answers my question , thanks guys
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Focus on losing weight and start lifting NOW. You will be able to build some muscle whist in a calorie deficit as long as you meet varying factors; not too aggressive of calorie deficit, ample protein in your diet and follow a structured lifting program. New muscle starts tapering down and what you will want to do is keep lifting to maintain muscle until you reach your weight goal.

When you reach or get close to your goal weight you can recomp which is build muscle lose additional fat whilst maintaining your 'weight' but this is a slower process and takes quite a while to do or after you get down to an ideal body fat percentage you will be able to optimally bulk.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have a fancy scale that will give you body comp data, and estimate your “normal” calorie burn ( ie. what you burn by just sitting around breathing). You are on the right track if you ignore weight and focus on fat% ... just lifting will add muscle as long as you pay attention to your macros and increase your protein intake... that extra muscle will sloooowly... help burn fat... and by sloooowly... it might take a couple of years. That’s not a bad thing... years in the making will give you time to make all kinds of progress towards a healthier diet and active lifestyle... don’t discount the benefits of cardio work... I was squatting near my max today and adding a couple extra reps to each set... and if it weren’t for my cardio work I am sure I would have never got through the workout... good cardio helps with recovery between sets. Take your time, educate yourself as you go... before too long you will know it all like the rest of us
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Im 23 years old 5ft11 and i weigh 244lbs
    I been on a deficit for 4 weeks and started going to the gym and i lost 8lbs so far.

My plan was to lose 50-60lbs then start building muscle but now im not sure what to do to move forward because i like my size but i have too much body fat ( never measured so not sure what my % is but i know its on the higher end)

Should i loose weight then build muscle or should i build muscle and just burn off body fat and not worry about how much weight im loosing ?

While you may like your current weight, you are still a good bit overweight and should continue to lose at least another 40. As you lose, you should be lifting weight to keep the muscle you have, and since you are new, probably build a little bit in the process, even at a deficit. Full body, mostly compound lifts, 3x a week.