Husband Doesn’t Approve

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I need advice!! I started this healthy lifestyle in January and went from 236 lbs to 184 lbs. I’ve given up alcohol, smoking, and caffeine. I finally got to where I love what I eat and I enjoy my workouts. My daughter saw my results and so she just recently joined this healthy way of living with me. That being said, my husband has not lived this way and resents me for it. He is overweight and since we don’t drink anymore, he uses food as a crutch. I don’t shove fitness down his throat because when I started, I promised him I wouldn’t. Well, since Thanksgiving, he has blown up on me three different occasions, telling me he wished he’d never invested in our home gym and is sick of watching me eat the way I do. We used to eat very unhealthy together, but now it doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t know what to do. I have eaten this whole weekend things he considers non diet foods, but I told him Monday I’m going back to my diet because I still have some weight I want to lose. I don’t understand what I put in my mouth has to do with what he puts in his. He got angry because I can finally go hiking again, but he doesn’t want me to even do that. I’m not giving up on something I feel is important and that is a part of me just to make him happy, but I fear we may lose our relationship if I don’t. I’m also a recovering drug addict, clean for 5 years and I feel I need some sort of outlet, which fitness has become . What would you guys do?
    When a person feels like their SO can go on without them, it sometimes makes them feel pretty worthless.
    How often do you reassure him that you love and care about him? Or is it just arguments?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amberlbryan90
    amberlbryan90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. He’s currently up set about me finally getting my dental work done so I can have new teeth and it really bothers him. It would be great to know why but that’s an argument I don’t feel like listening to so I just do me and let him get mad. If he dosent like it that’s his problem and insecurity’s. He knows I love him and that’s all that matters
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your husband might think you're losing weight because you want to divorce him. There's research out there that shows a lot of women have done that just before a divorce. My husband used to think the same way years ago when I attempted to lose weight. Yeah, it's kind of sabotaging isn't it? At one hand you want to do it for your health and to be healthier for life, on the other it changes the dynamic in relationships.

The best advice I can offer is to make sure you make time for him. Schedule dates with him, give him your uninterrupted attention and he'll know he's still a priority. Significant others get the impression they're on the back burner when they see their partners take up something new with enthusiasm.
  • djsoos
    djsoos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Self-esteem/self-worth would be my guess. The anger seems more about inner self and the lack of ambition to do what you're doing but jealous of the results. Depression is a probable factor. JMO. Funny how the path you are on is one of the ways to pull him out of it. Professional help is most likely the way to repair the problem.
  • TorstenVB
    TorstenVB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been in that situation before, I can sympathize. I'm probably parroting what you've already been told at this point. Keep doing what you're doing. Your health is important, and it sounds like you've made so many improvements that it would be a shame to backtrack at this point. Have a talk with him, seek counseling if need be! I'm sure your relationship is something you don't want to sacrifice, but please don't let your health fail to save it either. It's a thin rope, I know. You can do this.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This is a very tough situation and I hope you can find a way to solve it. I was in a similar situation with my ex boyfriend. He was trying to make me gain weight because of his insecurities about his looks & weight. I was telling him time to time that he should lose some weight and he tried a few times but he couldn't because he was drinking a lot. After a while, I started to eat a lot and ended up gaining 15-16 lbs. I just didn't know why I was always feeling hungry until one day I caught him adding something appetite-enhancing to my food. I filed a lawsuit against the *kitten*. I totally understand how you feel and honestly I don't think that you talking to him will be enough. I think you should see a professional.

Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!
    What a psychopath!! Glad he is your ex...
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Good for you kicking drugs. If your daughter is mirroring your healthy habits now, where would she be if you hadn't? And good for you getting back to a place where you can do what you have to and still have enough left to do what you like. Sounds like you're doing absolutely great and will find a way to resolve the rest of your problems.
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This is a very tough situation and I hope you can find a way to solve it. I was in a similar situation with my ex boyfriend. He was trying to make me gain weight because of his insecurities about his looks & weight. I was telling him time to time that he should lose some weight and he tried a few times but he couldn't because he was drinking a lot. After a while, I started to eat a lot and ended up gaining 15-16 lbs. I just didn't know why I was always feeling hungry until one day I caught him adding something appetite-enhancing to my food. I filed a lawsuit against the *kitten*. I totally understand how you feel and honestly I don't think that you talking to him will be enough. I think you should see a professional.

Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!
    What a psychopath!! Glad he is your ex...

Total psycopath!! Thanks, I'm glad, too.
  • brittneynathan0579
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I need advice!! I started this healthy lifestyle in January and went from 236 lbs to 184 lbs. I’ve given up alcohol, smoking, and caffeine. I finally got to where I love what I eat and I enjoy my workouts. My daughter saw my results and so she just recently joined this healthy way of living with me. That being said, my husband has not lived this way and resents me for it. He is overweight and since we don’t drink anymore, he uses food as a crutch. I don’t shove fitness down his throat because when I started, I promised him I wouldn’t. Well, since Thanksgiving, he has blown up on me three different occasions, telling me he wished he’d never invested in our home gym and is sick of watching me eat the way I do. We used to eat very unhealthy together, but now it doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t know what to do. I have eaten this whole weekend things he considers non diet foods, but I told him Monday I’m going back to my diet because I still have some weight I want to lose. I don’t understand what I put in my mouth has to do with what he puts in his. He got angry because I can finally go hiking again, but he doesn’t want me to even do that. I’m not giving up on something I feel is important and that is a part of me just to make him happy, but I fear we may lose our relationship if I don’t. I’m also a recovering drug addict, clean for 5 years and I feel I need some sort of outlet, which fitness has become . What would you guys do?
    When a person feels like their SO can go on without them, it sometimes makes them feel pretty worthless.
    How often do you reassure him that you love and care about him? Or is it just arguments?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I’m always reassuring him. I think he’s unsure of what to do with me now that we don’t drink together. He sometimes has cravings to drink, especially during stressful times. I know I could always make improvements so I’m going to maybe suggest a date night where it’s just me and him. Thank you so much!!

• Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Although not as serious as your situation I do experience some "Husband Hurdles".
    The difference is that I am the fatter one in the relationship and always was. He nudged me for years to do something about it and now that it's happening, he buys me ice cream, set up movie nights at candlelight and tells me that gym will still be there tomorrow, interrupts my work out with important-can't-wait kinda man-stuff that is rarely important to me, pushes me to go out and have a few drinks, and when I dress up now, while he doesn't say anything directly about it, he snaps at me for the smallest things or make overly crude jokes.
    It's insecurity on his behalf. We talked about it. He is scared that other men will come and sweep me off my feet or that by becoming too confident in myself that I would leave him.

I indulge him when I can so we still have some connection and point to him when his behaviour upsets me. My advice is to find a way to make him benefit from your new found fitness. Dress sexy for his eyes alone, try new stuff in the bedroom. And it will make you both have a good time. Or find something that you both like doing that would make him a part of your new life. He probably needs to feel he is still the male of your life.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your healthy choices and weight loss. It sounds like you are motivated to get healthy and your husband isn’t. He has to want it for himself but he does not have the right to derail your progress. You’ve even inspired your daughter, which is wonderful. It sounds like he feels threatened by your lifestyle changes. That can be difficult for a relationship but he is an adult, right? If he feels threatened or worried he should come to you to talk about it.
    Communication is important in any partnership. Can he live with the fact that you choose to be healthier? Can you live with him being angry about it and/or sabotaging your progress?
    If he can’t talk to you by himself then counseling sounds appropriate.