What fitness tracker/watch do you use?

Options
2»

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Only Garmin are useful for people like me who swim a lot.
    I finally Gave in and bought a Fenix 5X.
    This watch also has useful features for hikers. Topographical maps built in, and greets you back to your starting point if you should Wander off the trail.
    Butt like all "step trackers" it tracks wrist movement. So if you're day job involves a lot of worst movement, your step count will be easy off.

Garmin is good for people like me who run a lot as well. Not just swimming.

As for step trackers... that's why they invented ones that sit on your hip. But then I wear my garmin 235, my fitbit one & my fitbit flex. Guess what one on my non-dominant hand tracks better?

I was aware of that. I can't run due to arthritis in my feet.
    The GPS function makes tracking outdoor activity more accurate.
    I've mapped my learn mowing. Looks pretty funny.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Garmin 935 here.

Daily activity tracker (steps, heart rate, calories, stairs climbed, stress, sleep hours/quality, etc.), has GPS, tracks many different types of workouts (walking, hiking, running, cycling, swimming, paddleboarding, strength training, triathlons, etc.). Keeps tabs on your training status, VO2max, FTP (if you're using a power meter on your bike), lactate threshold, personal records, race time predictor, and a few other performance metrics. Waterproof to 50M and battery life up to two weeks (depending on how much you're using the GPS). Also has some smartwatch features (ability to view texts, phone calls, app notifications, calendar, etc. from the phone you have it paired to). It also has WiFi autosync capability.

The optical heart rate works very well for daily 24/7 HR tracking, but sometimes gets wonky during bike rides, occasionally gets weird during runs and is all over the place and basically useless for strength training (but in fairness, all fitness trackers are basically useless for strength training). I usually pair a Scosche Rhythm+ HR strap with it for running or cycling. It can also use the accelerometer to track reps/sets during strength training, but I've never even tried it because I don't want to bother with sitting there fiddling with my watch in between sets. I log my strength workouts with a pen and paper.

I started out with a Fitbit Ultra, then two years with an Apple Watch before switching to the 935 two months ago. The Garmin is by far the best fitness/activity tracker I've used. Their app/website (Garmin Connect) is also far more useful than either Apple or Fitbit (at least in my opinion).
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Samsung gear fit 2

I love it. The step tracker is so much better than my garmin. I like the way it looks and all the neat things it has. I'm not sure how i feel about the calorie burn though. I feel like it's either overestimating or under estimating. But oh well, it's gives me a General idea.
  • shanehackney
    shanehackney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch Series 2 for me. I was in the Garmin family prior to making the switch a few months ago. I am really happy with it. I do miss the Garmin website, however I get everything and more with the Apple Watch.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Butt like all "step trackers" it tracks wrist movement. So if you're day job involves a lot of worst movement, your step count will be easy off.

Yeah, I've heard that knitters can log a whole lot of steps when they get going on a pair of socks or a scarf. :)

I knit, I have a fitbit, (an Alta HR) and I haven't had that problem. It does count steps if I'm not really careful just sitting on my exercise ball, though. Even a little bounce will count as a step.
    Mine was a gift, so I didn't even look at other trackers and don't really have anything to contribute to the original question.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Atlas Wearables and Atlas Shape
  • msdemmie
    msdemmie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch Series 2 for me, just fine for a novice.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Samsung Gear fit 2, started with a fitbit Charge, but it fell apart so fast. Fitbit replaced it 5 or 6 times in less then a year. It just wasn't worth the hassle. The gear fit has held up really well and has a few more bells and whistles.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The Alta is a good little device. I just upgraded from the Charge to the Charge 2, which is just a tiny step up from the Alta. The Blaze and Surge have GPS too, but as I'm an indoor exerciser, that wouldn't really be anything I'd pay extra for, plus I like the smaller size.