Quinoa, anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You can find recipes for using Quinoa on www.dailygarnish.com

It is actually an ancient grain and as you have stated it is high in protein. It comes in 3 colors and you can find it at your local grocery store in the boxed rice section. It has good nutritional properties, so don't worry if it is higher in fat than something else (you can't really compare it to anything else because it is in a class by itself in terms of grains). It's also great for people with food allergies.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    quinoa, black beans, feta, cilantro, cucumber, lime juice......DO IT! its so easy and good! :D
  • nikkicampbell
    nikkicampbell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a big lover of the www.allrecipies.com cooking website. It's free to lookup and keep a personal 'recipe box' of the recipes ...
    they have a 'Top 20 Quinoa recipies' ... plus TONS more that have star-ratings to help gauge how popular they are.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    One way that I've tried and enjoyed is to make a risotto out of it. I sautee the quinoa in olive oil or a butter like substance with garlic and cupped onion, and keep adding chicken broth and tomato sauce until it starts to look creamy. At the end, I add Parmesan cheese and sometimes grilled veggies. There's lots you can do!
    I'm definitely going to give this a try. Sounds delicious!
  • daad13
    daad13 Posts: 68
    Options
    Wow, these responses are amazing!
    Thank you guys for all of the ideas! Definitely going to get some the next time I'm out :D
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, I just remembered, one thing I like to do is cook the red and white quinoa together just to make it fun. :laugh:
  • dovenotes
    dovenotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Can someone be a bit specific on quinoa's texture? I have "issues" with textures. If it has a good flavor but the texture is "off" (i.e. pears) then I won't eat it. I'm weird, don't judge me. lol
  • madden17
    madden17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How is it better than brown rice. Wouldn't brown rice be slightly less calories and fat?
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I recently tried it for the first time. Nasty stuff! It's like having a mouth full of tiny superballs.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I cook with it all the time!

Ideas from my blog - http://veganlazy.wordpress.com/?s=quinoa

You'll find lemon quinoa, black quinoa salad, and quinoa for breakfast.

Basic cooking directions are here - http://veganlazy.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/quinoa-your-new-best-friend/

Enjoy!!

5388847673_8526204eba_b.jpg?w=460&h=345
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Can someone be a bit specific on quinoa's texture? I have "issues" with textures. If it has a good flavor but the texture is "off" (i.e. pears) then I won't eat it. I'm weird, don't judge me. lol

It isn't gritty like pears but it is "crunchier" than rice.

(I have a texture thing too :wink:)
  • dovenotes
    dovenotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the texture is kinda cool and unique- nothing like it, but thats just me- open minded. So, best thing is to try a small amount in the bulk section of your health food store to see if you like it. Here we have Kimberton Whole Foods.

I like that it actually contains a full range of amino acids, and gluten free. What other grain can boast this? So that is reason enough for me to use it more than other grains. Another good breakfast grain is amaranth, also very good for you. This grain is super small and sticky though, so it takes practice to cook it right. That is in the organic isle of the grocery store with the other grains too.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    quinoa, black beans, feta, cilantro, cucumber, lime juice......DO IT! its so easy and good! :D

I :heart: these ingredients, I'm going to have to try this. Thanks!!