Protein and Depression

Options
Has anyone experienced some depression with increasing protein?

Replies

• samanthasola
    samanthasola Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Personally no. I actually feel good for once but I believe that's because I'm getting enough iron
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I never noticed. I work out to deal w anxiety/depression and I have noticed that my body reacts to everything. I hope you find answers.
  • msiwai
    msiwai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Working out is my time to unwind and re-energize. Eat when you eat try foods high in protein with less fat and sodium. You can try B12 for increased energy and drink plenty of water.
  • squatsnotsquat
    squatsnotsquat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    research has shown that vegans/vegetarians are actually more likely to be depressed because they're nutrient deficient, so more meat can actually help with that. But if you're getting your protein from dairy or soy, I'd watch out for hormonal imbalances that could cause depression. Also if you're eating more protein it probably means you're replacing carbs or fats, which can give you more energy and make you happier while you're eating them. That could be one reason why upping your protein would make you depressed, just low energy and low satisfaction with your food.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just the opposite. I seem to really need protein. For energy. For mood. For satiety.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What does the rest of your diet look like? How many calories? What do your carbs and sodium look like?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's a good thought. It's not the cool weather for me, but the lack of light, and I've found it really hitting me on the weekends since Daylight Savings when it's getting dark so early and I'm not stuck in an office missing it anyway. Brings on the blues.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Sometimes if you lower carbs as well as upping the protein, it can affect mood, depending on the individual and if they are already prone to mood issues.

That's right. Prob depressed because she isn't eating enough cake. Does it to me every time. lol

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you lower carbs as well as upping the protein, it can affect mood, depending on the individual and if they are already prone to mood issues.

That's right. Prob depressed because she isn't eating enough cake. Does it to me every time. lol

I would not necessarily say cake, lol, although cake is rather tasty. I just find if I try and cut out my potatoes, fruit, breakfast biscuits ... cut my carbs below a certain number, my depression seems to decline. It is always there, but much worse if I skip out on carbs during times when I am doing intense exercise as well. I suppose how each macro affects each person will vary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I would not necessarily say cake, lol, although cake is rather tasty. I just find if I try and cut out my potatoes, fruit, breakfast biscuits ... cut my carbs below a certain number, my depression seems to decline. It is always there, but much worse if I skip out on carbs during times when I am doing intense exercise as well. I suppose how each macro affects each person will vary.

It also could be the reduction of carbs ends up depleting glycogen and water storage, which effects balance of electrolytes. This in turn can all shorts of effects. So when you cut carbs, sodium/potassium/magnesium should increase.