Quick muscle gain before chemo

For my strong lifters, I have Stage 3 Throat cancer, I will be going for chemo/radiation for seven weeks, this will probably start in three weeks.

So in this short time I am just trying to pack on any pounds but as much muscle as possible.

I will be loading up on protein and carbs.

But as to muscle gain, should I stick to 5x5 heavy, or rotate in 5x5; 4x10; 3x8.

Any advice appreciated; once I beat the cancer I will continue with the lifting but not as intense as this short period to bulk as much as possible in a tiny window.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If you rotate in other sets x reps - part of the time will be trying to get to actual best working weight, best meaning the same overload on the muscles requiring body to build more.

During that time it won't be an overload to the muscle, and no need for gain on that.

Stick with 5 x 5 and keep on progressing.

While there are calculations to get Actual Resistance weight on like squats and deadlifts, and of course conversions to 1RM for all of them, and then conversions back out to your other rep ranges - they are estimates and while some weights could be right on, some easily could not be.

Sounds like well prepped for the surgery, hope it goes better than thought, and recovery faster than estimated.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Personally I wouldn't do anything that is going to knacker the body, lower the immune system before you have tge chemotherapy which will do that anyway.

Not wanting to be personal, I don't know your age, but if you want to have kids have you considered having your sperm frozen?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2017
    Your not gonna to pack pounds of muscle on in in three weeks.

I would concentrate on adding body weight more than hopes for muscle in such a short period. Having extra weight will help assure the treatments can go full cycle without stoppage.

Not that resistance training is a bad idea , even during treatment if your energy is there it would help retain muscle. Though if you are having radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks on top of chemo it's probably a better idea to rest as much as possible as it will drain your energy something else.

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    I got you.

Listen to this podcast. This guy has stage 4 kidney cancer for over 2 years I think and has been strength training through chemo as best he can. He’s been able to maintain his body weight and strength levels throughout the process.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/barbell-logic/id1255032859?mt=2&i=1000394645819
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't do anything that is going to knacker the body, lower the immune system before you have tge chemotherapy which will do that anyway.

Not wanting to be personal, I don't know your age, but if you want to have kids have you considered having your sperm frozen?

I'm 47 already have three kids and a vasectomy......so done with kids...lol

but I appreciate the thought, and young guys should definitely think about it.
  • MellowGa
    Thanks guys. I'm meeting with my DR's on the 29th, I will certainly get their input on this ( should I or not exercise), and I appreciate your guys input, and hopefully it goes well
  • PAFC84
    MellowGa wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'm meeting with my DR's on the 29th, I will certainly get their input on this ( should I or not exercise), and I appreciate your guys input, and hopefully it goes well

Hope it and the treatment goes well
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 wrote: »

I'm 47 already have three kids and a vasectomy......so done with kids...lol

but I appreciate the thought, and young guys should definitely think about it.

No problems. My mate had his frozen before chemo.
  • Chieflrg
    Wait until you are recovered and start. I'm not a medical professional but I would not personally do anything to stress the body before starting chemo.

Wishing you all the best.

Its more relative to the type and intensity of the chemo used for treatment. Chemo coupled with radiation treatments is also something to address.

But as fat as just starting chemo, strength training or physical activity before just chemo alone isn't too concerning in many cases. It's during or post chemo treatment when the body is taxed and could bring problems.

I played catcher for my baseball team the day before half my treatments without ever experiencing a stoppage of my treatments or having to cancel surgeries. I know several people here on this site that have lifted during their treatments and had no ill effect on their treatments as well.

Once again it's relative to the individual and their current health and strength along with the exact type of treatment.

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited November 2017
    Thought I had replied to this but don’t see it so will repost.

I don’t know about quickly adding muscle, but I do know that many people going through the same general treatment for head/neck cancer have a hard time maintaining weight, energy and hydration. A nutritionist/dietician consultation and routine follow up is mandatory at the better cancer centers.

All the best with your treatment and your journeys. Get cured.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

Im sorry to hear about the throat cancer.. I know you'll kick its *kitten*, we got a holiday planned remember :) .. Much strength to you my friend for the fight ahead
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Wait until you are recovered and start. I'm not a medical professional but I would not personally do anything to stress the body before starting chemo.

Its more relative to the type and intensity of the chemo used for treatment. Chemo coupled with radiation treatments is also something to address.

But as fat as just starting chemo, strength training or physical activity before just chemo alone isn't too concerning in many cases. It's during or post chemo treatment when the body is taxed and could bring problems.

I played catcher for my baseball team the day before half my treatments without ever experiencing a stoppage of my treatments or having to cancel surgeries. I know several people here on this site that have lifted during their treatments and had no ill effect on their treatments as well.

Once again it's relative to the individual and their current health and strength along with the exact type of treatment.

Maybe. But a 3 week "bulk" is pointless anyway.
  • MellowGa

thanks! so far they said to continue what I am doing.
  • MellowGa

yep, I know a Bulk in three weeks is pointless, after I talked to a dr yesterday they said just keep what I am doing, I am in great shape for this and as an above poster said, they are more concerned with the recover after treatment, but starting off in good health.
  • PAFC84

thanks! so far they said to continue what I am doing.

Glad your meeting went well.
  • Chieflrg

Oncologists would definitely argue that the calorie intake of a bulk & perhaps resistance training isn't pointless pre chemo especially to a lifter that is already training. It has a purpose, maybe just not the exact one OP was looking for.

OP, break a leg. Hope treatment will seem fast, and well as recovery.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    orangegato wrote: »
    Thought I had replied to this but don’t see it so will repost.

I don’t know about quickly adding muscle, but I do know that many people going through the same general treatment for head/neck cancer have a hard time maintaining weight, energy and hydration. A nutritionist/dietician consultation and routine follow up is mandatory at the better cancer centers.

All the best with your treatment and your journeys. Get cured.

yes, I am at Emory University, they are top notch and I will have all of those plus Speech therapy.

I also told my wife lap dances are good for motivation ;) lol

Well I hope she gets on board with that :laugh:
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    edited November 2017
    I wish you the best in your treatment. In the mean timeI highly recommend reading the book "The Truth About Cancer: What You Need to Know about Cancer's History, Treatment, and Prevention"
    by Ty M. Bollinger check out the reviews on amazon.