Quick muscle gain before chemo

Options
2»

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best in your treatment. In the mean timeI highly recommend reading the book "The Truth About Cancer: What You Need to Know about Cancer's History, Treatment, and Prevention"
    by Ty M. Bollinger check out the reviews on amazon.

I haven't read it but the title already sounds "sensationalist"....does it try to use scare tactics and suggest we've been lied to about cancer? Or does it go the other way?
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The best of luck to yo in you treatment - My dad had throat cancer in 1967 & he is now 91 y/o - it can be beat. I would stick with your 5x5 program as long as you can - don't overdo it - also eat everything in sight & put on some weight - you might not feel like eating with the chemo - Eastcoast Jim
  • ChaChaCha777
    ChaChaCha777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience earlier this year and am down 50 pounds from where I was as swallowing is extremely difficult both during radiation and after surgery. Keep hydrated, and eat as much as you possibly can leading up to surgery. It's not easy, but your positive attitude will be the key to your recovery. Sending good vibes your way!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Treatment is most important. If you put your workout regimen on the shelf for awhile, it is ok because the priority is to kill your cancer. And you’re doing it. Keep on. Be strong. Get support when you need it. Focus on the goal. And hydrate.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Wait until you are recovered and start. I'm not a medical professional but I would not personally do anything to stress the body before starting chemo.

Wishing you all the best.

Its more relative to the type and intensity of the chemo used for treatment. Chemo coupled with radiation treatments is also something to address.

But as fat as just starting chemo, strength training or physical activity before just chemo alone isn't too concerning in many cases. It's during or post chemo treatment when the body is taxed and could bring problems.

I played catcher for my baseball team the day before half my treatments without ever experiencing a stoppage of my treatments or having to cancel surgeries. I know several people here on this site that have lifted during their treatments and had no ill effect on their treatments as well.

Once again it's relative to the individual and their current health and strength along with the exact type of treatment.

thanks! so far they said to continue what I am doing.

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest- they tell pregnant women this- don't start anything new- just keep doing what your doing.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    day six into treatment, Chemo sucks, but doing ok, food taste like crap, but eating anyway, plenty of carbs and protein. I am still working out lifting and doing PIYO some elliptical, not trying to gain muscle, but just trying to make the muscles work. I do feel drained and tired, but pushing through. I know my body needs the Calories and I need to move my muscles.

beating the mental game is the challenge.

Hope you're through it soon and it goes well.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Wait until you are recovered and start. I'm not a medical professional but I would not personally do anything to stress the body before starting chemo.

Wishing you all the best.

Its more relative to the type and intensity of the chemo used for treatment. Chemo coupled with radiation treatments is also something to address.

But as fat as just starting chemo, strength training or physical activity before just chemo alone isn't too concerning in many cases. It's during or post chemo treatment when the body is taxed and could bring problems.

I played catcher for my baseball team the day before half my treatments without ever experiencing a stoppage of my treatments or having to cancel surgeries. I know several people here on this site that have lifted during their treatments and had no ill effect on their treatments as well.

Once again it's relative to the individual and their current health and strength along with the exact type of treatment.

Maybe. But a 3 week "bulk" is pointless anyway.

More or less pointless than doing nothing?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    day six into treatment, Chemo sucks, but doing ok, food taste like crap, but eating anyway, plenty of carbs and protein. I am still working out lifting and doing PIYO some elliptical, not trying to gain muscle, but just trying to make the muscles work. I do feel drained and tired, but pushing through. I know my body needs the Calories and I need to move my muscles.

Good luck to you! My mom is coming up on her 6th and last chemo session for aggressive breast cancer. If the drugs that are responsible for the food taste issue are the same as hers, you are going to have to get creative! She is eating all sorts of things she doesn’t typically like because she says it all tastes like crap anyway and why develop and aversion to the Things she does like. Keep stuff handy so that you can grab quick bites even if a full meal is not appealing.

Your drive to keep active is inspiring! Don’t tire yourself out but do what you have to do to get through all of this!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Dropping in just to admire your spirit, and wish you smoothest possible progress.

I always tell people chemo was the worst hobby ever: Worse than extreme sports, worse than adventure travel. ;););) Fortunately, it's temporary, and the "one day at as time, do what you can" approach is perfect.

For me, it's 17+ years behind and steadily getting smaller in the rear view mirror. You'll put it behind you, too, and I predict you'll be fully thriving soon thereafter, with your determination.

Best wishes!

17 years!!!! wow awesome