weight going up

Options
ok, I'm really getting frustrated, my weekly calorie counts are below what they are suppose to be at the end of the week, but the scale has been creeping up, the 1st time or 2, I figured water weight, but it keeps going up, I weigh myself at the gym 1-3 times a week, as I don't have a scale at my house, I don't see other NSV so I can't go by them.... I'm wondering if it would be better if I got a scale and weighed myself every morning? thoughts?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    ok, I'm really getting frustrated, my weekly calorie counts are below what they are suppose to be at the end of the week, but the scale has been creeping up, the 1st time or 2, I figured water weight, but it keeps going up, I weigh myself at the gym 1-3 times a week, as I don't have a scale at my house, I don't see other NSV so I can't go by them.... I'm wondering if it would be better if I got a scale and weighed myself every morning? thoughts?

How long have you been at this?

How tall are you? Current Wt? Age? Gotta have that context to give any kind of answer.

Without that, refer to the chart....your answer is likely in there no matter what the context...
  • andyfla
    andyfla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I generally find I am lying to myself when this happens - I ignore the odd biscuit here and there and don't track it or say I will track and "forget" - when I am completely OCD about it I find the weight comes off. Check out "secret eaters" on YouTube as I am so one of those !
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you properly weighing your foods and logging them accurately? I wouldn't weigh at the gym. You'll never get accurate numbers. Invest in a scale for home and weigh yourself in the mornings, shortly after waking up and on the same day each week. Then you should start seeing a consistency.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options

How tall are you? Current Wt? Age? Gotta have that context to give any kind of answer.

Without that, refer to the chart....your answer is likely in there no matter what the context...

the cart is interesting, I'll have to take a better look at it later, I log everything, but I don't use a scale, I know I should get one...
    I'm 5'6, 255# started at 266#, 48, I started on Sept 24 2017
  • 2baninja
    Options

Do you always go to the gym at the same time wearing the same thing after eating the same food?

yes
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

the cart is interesting, I'll have to take a better look at it later, I log everything, but I don't use a scale, I know I should get one...

You're eating more than you think. Get a food scale.

Yep.

In fact, here's a thread just today that shows a food scale's effectiveness.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10618525/measure-your-food#latest
  • 2baninja
    Options
    andyfla wrote: »
    I generally find I am lying to myself when this happens - I ignore the odd biscuit here and there and don't track it or say I will track and "forget" - when I am completely OCD about it I find the weight comes off. Check out "secret eaters" on YouTube as I am so one of those !

since I started, I log everything, I ate 2 starburst yesterday, (2 each's, not 2 packages, lol) did the math and logged the calories for 2 of them
  • 2baninja
    Options
    Thank you all for your help
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    And this video shows why a food scale is an important tool for weight loss.

This video saved me from myself after 4 months of not using a food scale when I first started. :sad:

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Seriously, the food scale helps. I thought I was measuring fairky well with measuring cups and portion sizes, but when I got a scale, it tirned out I was eating more than twicwe as much as I thought. Using the scale, I got results in a few days, where before, I had been maintaining for months.
    And yes, getting a home scale helped, mainly because I could useit at the same time every day, wearing the same clothes, and see how various changes affected my weight tnrough the day and in the long run.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Buy a home scale to weigh yourself at the same time of day, I do it in the morning. My gym's scale varies wildly from day to day. Maybe they need to recalibrate it. My scale is digital and wasn't expensive.
  • 2baninja
    Options
    I'll buy myself a scale and a food scale, I'll admit, I don't even use measuring cups, but the only things I eat that should be measured are Ranch ( I know) and Peanut butter, everything else is fruit, vegges or single serving things, like vegges burgers.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'll buy myself a scale and a food scale, I'll admit, I don't even use measuring cups, but the only things I eat that should be measured are Ranch ( I know) and Peanut butter, everything else is fruit, vegges or single serving things, like vegges burgers.

Even with things like vegetables, fruit, and veggie burgers, you'll want to accurately measure how much you're eating. A food scale is a good way to do that.