Logging homemade foods

Options
I have a hard time logging homemade foods trying to calculate their calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Another tip to add: say you're making a casserole and you don't want to remove it from your baking dish to weigh it out.

Weigh your baking dish BEFORE you put anything in it, and mark down the weight. Then weigh your dish + casserole when it's done baking, and subtract the dish weight from the dish+casserole weight. Easy peasy.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ill add to that...I keep a list of the weights of my regular pots and pans handy, so I don't have to dirty another dish or try to get a quiche out of a pie pan. So I can weigh the quiche + pan = 2000g and subtract the 1100 the dish weighs, to get total 900g for the quiche.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    are you using the recipe builder function?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're doing any of your own cooking you really need to be using the recipe builder. If you're using the recipe builder and still having troubles maybe you can be more specific as to what problems you're having with it so we can give more targeted advice.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I usually give it a WAG (wild-assed guess). Example: home-made spaghetti with meat sauce. Entered 1C spag (measured), 1C spag sauce base (typ from a can with a nutrition label), 3 oz ground beef (est from total amount added).

More involved recipies can be entered into the recipe builder. It works well, but isn't any better than a WAG if you don't measure all ingredients accurately.

PS I lost 22lbs in the winter/spring and have kept it off doing this sort of thing.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're doing any of your own cooking you really need to be using the recipe builder. If you're using the recipe builder and still having troubles maybe you can be more specific as to what problems you're having with it so we can give more targeted advice.

This. And the nice thing is, once you've entered your recipe, it's there forever.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I usually give it a WAG (wild-assed guess). Example: home-made spaghetti with meat sauce. Entered 1C spag (measured), 1C spag sauce base (typ from a can with a nutrition label), 3 oz ground beef (est from total amount added).

More involved recipies can be entered into the recipe builder. It works well, but isn't any better than a WAG if you don't measure all ingredients accurately.

PS I lost 22lbs in the winter/spring and have kept it off doing this sort of thing.

This is my method too. If it's a dish I eat frequently, then I go through the process of adding the recipe. I also don't have a ton of time to log food so it's a pain in the *kitten* for me to do all the detailed additions. Note: I don't have the weight loss to back up this theory so I may need to become more precise in my process.