Replies

• amanh7044
    amanh7044 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome guys thanks for all the inside advice
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Im a fan of alot of potatoes in my diet, But no not ONLY potatoes. They definatly make a great diet staple though
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I adore potatoes, but you need more to make a balanced diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a mono diet that is intended to help a person resolve an unhealthy relationship with food. By only eating potatoes, eating out of boredom or for emotional reasons eventually becomes less desireable because of the monotony of potatoes as well as the relative satiety that potatoes provide. Weight loss is usually a result of this diet because it can be very difficult to eat in excess or even at maintenance levels when eating plain potatoes- as in no oil, butter, sour cream, cheese, or anything else besides salt and spices.

That's what it is, although I was unaware that anyone other than that one Australian guy (SpudFit) was pushing it. He claims it helped with his "food addiction" by taking the hedonistic impulse out of eating for a while, and he apparently needed to lose a lot of weight and was monitored by a doctor.

It doesn't work any differently than any other diet -- you lose based on calories consumed (or a calorie deficit, really).

And important to note, as the poster did above, it's plain potatoes, NOT oil added and not "potato recipes."

Is it bad for you? It's overly low in fat and protein, but probably would be fine for a short period of time (or if you are monitored by a doctor like that one guy). I don't think it would teach you much about sustainable eating.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    amanh7044 wrote: »
    I've read stories everywhere with people saying they have had real results. Even some celebrities

Don't believe Internet testimonials, especially if they're attributed to celebrities.

Sounds very Kardashian lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's a mono diet that is intended to help a person resolve an unhealthy relationship with food. By only eating potatoes, eating out of boredom or for emotional reasons eventually becomes less desireable because of the monotony of potatoes as well as the relative satiety that potatoes provide. Weight loss is usually a result of this diet because it can be very difficult to eat in excess or even at maintenance levels when eating plain potatoes- as in no oil, butter, sour cream, cheese, or anything else besides salt and spices.

That's what it is, although I was unaware that anyone other than that one Australian guy (SpudFit) was pushing it. He claims it helped with his "food addiction" by taking the hedonistic impulse out of eating for a while, and he apparently needed to lose a lot of weight and was monitored by a doctor.

It doesn't work any differently than any other diet -- you lose based on calories consumed (or a calorie deficit, really).

And important to note, as the poster did above, it's plain potatoes, NOT oil added and not "potato recipes."

Is it bad for you? It's overly low in fat and protein, but probably would be fine for a short period of time (or if you are monitored by a doctor like that one guy). I don't think it would teach you much about sustainable eating.

There's a guy with a book called "The Potato Hack", and I think there are corners of the internet where this is popularly used by people short term as a reset. I don't think people do it for more than 2 week stints or so.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    Temporary diets = yo-yo dieting = unhealthy.

to the OP: this is because temporary diets = unsustainable; they're not how you're going to live for the rest of your life. Which means it's highly likely you'll balloon back up when you're back to "normal eating".

Fad diets have been around forever. They're popular because everyone's hoping to find the Magic Diet Super Bullet, not knowing the problem isn't in what they're putting into their mouths -- it's between their ears.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

There's a guy with a book called "The Potato Hack", and I think there are corners of the internet where this is popularly used by people short term as a reset. I don't think people do it for more than 2 week stints or so.

There's a guy on youtube who ate only potatoes for an entire year to prove it was perfectly healthy. Even had blood tests and such done as proof that he had no adverse effects. I still believe his results were complete b.s.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a thought experiment I read once on the Straight Dope regarding the Irish eating only potatoes and milk during the famine. Apparently they actually didn't just eat potatoes, but the article went into whether one could, in theory, live on only potatoes and milk. The basic gist was that, to get enough nutrients, you'd have to eat 8 pounds a day! And remember, that includes drinking milk, so without would be more. Also, it lacks a nutrient called molybdenum, a deficiency of which eventually leads to coma.

I looked up the link if anyone wants to read it...
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2828/could-i-survive-on-nothing-but-potatoes-and-milk

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I've read stories everywhere with people saying they have had real results. Even some celebrities

Don't believe Internet testimonials, especially if they're attributed to celebrities.

Penn Jilette did this. I always thought he was brighter than that.
  • amanh7044
    amanh7044 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

Penn Jilette did this. I always thought he was brighter than that.

Yeah the magicician ! That's the dude I was thinking about
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know if it is a safe diet ...

No, just, no. No single-food diet is safe. It is inherently unbalanced, lacking in nutrients, and likely to screw up your gut flora. Potatoes are a better choice than some others but you will still be lacking vitamins A, E, and K, calcium, selenium, essential fatty acids (which are necessary for brain cell health) and fiber. You also may have trouble going back to digest a regular diet when you cease the potato diet.
    ... potato recipes are a long list of fun

Not on the potato diet which is just plain potatoes. Potato fun involves cheese and butter and cream and ...

There's no need to do this. Just figure out how many calories you should eat and do that. Buy a scale and start weighing everything you eat. If you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are very nutritious, but they shouldn't be the only thing you eat. :/
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    if you can't do it for 5 years, why do it for 5 days or 5 weeks or 5 months??? a sustainable approach always works best. i've tried all the fads and regained all the weight...save yourself the heartache!

So well said!!