Simple trick that took an embarrassingly long time for you to figure out...

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Also the recipe builder -- but that ingredients don't have to be set in stone.

For things that I make as a recipe that have variable weights -- like a potato gratin, pot roast, chicken paprika, etc. -- I set it up once, and then, as I'm making the actual meal, I go in and alter the quantities to reflect the actual weight of the ingredients. Because things like flour/butter aren't going to change from making to making, but it's not like I'm going to have the exact grams of potato or veg, or beef or chicken, every single time.

Yep, I do this too.

Also, if you're entering the recipe manually, the 'old' recipe calculator works a hell of a lot better for actually matching ingredients.

I will try that old calculator. That new one is crap for matching ingredients.

• sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can also put the plate with the piece of bread on the scale, tare it, then put mayo on it and see how much. The tare it again, put cheese on it, etc.

This is how I build my salads.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    That I am capable of gaining weight on an autoimmune diet. Who knew my TDEE would be ridiculously high??
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can go in to any recipe you have a change it to reflect what you are making this time. For example, I add different things to basic spanakopita like mushrooms or different cheeses but the phyllo and oil stay the same.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    You can also put the plate with the piece of bread on the scale, tare it, then put mayo on it and see how much. The tare it again, put cheese on it, etc.

This is how I build my sandwiches ... and I also either write it down on a piece of paper or enter it into my smartphone's MFP app as I build it. Same goes with ingredients for my cooks.