Pulled thigh muscle

Apparently I cannot be trusted to walk across the floor without stepping on the cats food bowl and ending up doing the splits by accident. I had no idea I could do it, and f r e a k i n g hell did it hurt! Took me a good 5 mins to get my legs back out of it. So here I am, one painful leg, one bruised black knee and one painful arm.

I have tried walking since, and yes it hurts and my leg sometimes just seems to give way and then a jolt of pain like being electrocuted? Stairs is a no no, hurts like hell tried those a couple of days ago as I needed to travel and I was in absolute agony.

Before you ask what on earth is she doing here, I will answer that question.

I had already planned weeks ago that this week I was starting in the gym, I have signed up. I had planned to start the 5k program to teach myself to run, but that is kind of up in the air right now. BUT I am still planning to go to the gym as I want to do something. But my GYM is a pretty basic one, and with one bad thigh and one painful arm on the same right side, the bruised knee is on the left side and is fine unless I touch it (like a bad bruise now after a week, looks worse than it is)

Will walking on one of those incline programs work? Hill walking on a treadmill? I don't think I can cycle just yet. Point is, I want to try, but buggered up my right side by slipping over. However, I am not using that as an excuse, I just want to know what can I safely do whilst recovering so I do not re-injure myself but start to get myself fitter?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if walking hurts then it is pointless going to the gym.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I can walk but no stairs, the muscle will heal and is a lot better than 5 days ago when I could hardly put any weight on it.
  • usernameformyfitnesspal1
    usernameformyfitnesspal1 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2017
    If its the front of your leg(quad) running( or walking briskly) down a slight hill will help loosen it up. I pulled my quad earlier this year and doing that while walking on the golf course kept me going. Also a compression sleeve for your thigh will help it from tightening up during a walk at the gym. Good luck
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Sure, walking will be fine. Working a muscle lightly (after any serious pain has died down) is the better way to get it healed.
  • Bonny132
    If its the front of your leg(quad) running( or walking briskly) down a slight hill will help loosen it up. I pulled my quad earlier this year and doing that while walking on the golf course kept me going. Also a compression sleeve for your thigh will help it from tightening up during a walk at the gym. Good luck

It is at the back, not sure what the name is, but it goes from the back of the knee down into my bum? So the front side is fine, it is the backside that hurts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Bonny132 wrote: »

It is at the back, not sure what the name is, but it goes from the back of the knee down into my bum? So the front side is fine, it is the backside that hurts.

Hamstring
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 wrote: »

Hamstring

Now I feel like an idiot thank you it has been driving me nuts "facepalms". So yes, I pulled my hamstring, my left bruised knee is fine but my right arm is still really sore.

And no I am not taking up pole-dancing after this, one split was enough!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Hamstring

random electrocuted feeling sounds like the sciatic nerve to me too. if you feel it while the weight's on that leg, your sacroiliac joint may have gotten a bit out of whack. doesn't help you to know what to do in the gym, but you could try googling for gentle 'pelvic reset' stuff and see if that settles anything.

don't feel silly. i twisted a rib once by sneezing with all my weight on one leg.
  • Bonny132
    Hamstring

random electrocuted feeling sounds like the sciatic nerve to me too. if you feel it while the weight's on that leg, your sacroiliac joint may have gotten a bit out of whack. doesn't help you to know what to do in the gym, but you could try googling for gentle 'pelvic reset' stuff and see if that settles anything.

don't feel silly. i twisted a rib once by sneezing with all my weight on one leg.

Thank you, really appreciate all the advice given, need to google the sciatic thing though. Never even considered that or thought about it. But not the first time these jolts have happened. Just been diagnosed as coeliac so that has pretty much kept my brain in disarray. But Ordered a compression thing for my arm and yes I will hit the gym this week.