Depression and anxiety

Options
I started working out to beat depression. I’ve gain weight because of the depression tablets. Fitness is the only way out for me

Replies

• Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good for you at trying something different. This is how we deal with it in my family. Can’t beat exercise endorphins
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I find exercise essential for maintaining an even keel. I also agree with this recent article that exercising outdoors is particularly helpful. (Although, maybe not a replacement for medication, but more as a part of the treatment. Depends on the person.)

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/dose-nature-doctors-prescribe-day-park-anxiety-n823421

Best of luck to you!
  • Insainly_Domesticated
    Options
    I hope exercise helps! Im trying to get back on track again for the 100th time it seems
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Exercise should def make a difference. Also, if you're gaining weight on your meds, talk to your doctor. There are other drugs without that side effect. Glad you're feeling better!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Zyvi wrote: »
    I hope you start noticing a change very soon. It was very subtle and gradual for me--i really noticed a positive change in my mental state after a coupe weeks.

I agree, but once it kicked in it made a huge difference!
  • noonansnook
    noonansnook Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Introduce Yourself
    I’m looking to connect with others to give and recurve support and maybe make some friends along the way I’m a 40
    Something year old Working mom who has lost herself— yes in the midst of a mid life crisis- I️ have finally come to terms that I️ need to figure out who I️ am who I️ want to be—I️ am
    More than this- I️ just know I️t I️ am more than my anxiety and depress and the weight I️ keep holding on to— join me and we can help support each other Much love and respect! I️ will accept all friend requests
  • livisuzanne
    livisuzanne Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder. I started seeing a new psychiatrist this summer mostly due to insurance, but once I switched drs I realized that my bipolar disorder was not under control, my anxiety was through the roof, and I was on a ridiculous amount of medications which were actually doing more harm than good. I slowly stopped taking the antidepressant I'd been in for years in July, as well as my ADHD medication (I have ADHD on top of bipolar disorder, but neither was benefitting from the medication
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - I have anxiety and depression and have gained weight since it all began. Some of it is prob from meds but I'd say it's mostly due to lack of motivation. Exercise helps for sure. Feel free to add me
  • watchdezshrink
    watchdezshrink Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hope you find it helps you, and it continues to. I have been through depression, and more so anxiety as well. :)
  • kbrow0559
    kbrow0559 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat I feel I’m over medicated for my depression and eating disorder which is causing the weight to stay on.
  • livisuzanne
    Options
    kbrow0559 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat I feel I’m over medicated for my depression and eating disorder which is causing the weight to stay on.

I had the hardest time accepting the fact that getting off the excessive medication that was doing me no real good was causing me to gain weight. It was the best thing I have done for my mental health, but it was so hard to accept that I was not in control of my weight despite my efforts.
    The good that came from that has been being referred to a nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders, and realizing that I finally have a psychiatrist who is sensitive to the concerns of meds and weight gain, and the emotions that come with all 3 of those things.
    I hope you get your meds sorted out. I'm still in the process, but it has been so worth it.
  • livisuzanne
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - I have anxiety and depression and have gained weight since it all began. Some of it is prob from meds but I'd say it's mostly due to lack of motivation. Exercise helps for sure. Feel free to add me

Lack of motivation is definitely a big factor. Some days I am just really tired, or I just feel off and getting out of my pajamas feels like more work than I am willing to do. I haven't had as many days like that since I started leveling on my meds, but it's still a reality, and definitely a struggle. Luckily I have dogs in my life who make it hard not to get out and take them on a walk. That is my biggest motivation to exercise; for the sake of the dogs
  • Ashers783
    Ashers783 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I came off all meds myself probably over a year ago because I dont want to rely on a tablet for the rest of my life and none have ever actually helped me or made any difference. At an all time low right now though with anxiety, my family are all busy and I dont know where to turn. Feel free to add me on here fellow anxiety people
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    It is a mind game. Nothing can bring you down if you make up your mind and heart.

You can do it

Stay Strong.

Okay, sure. I’ll just ‘make up my mind and heart’ and trade my lithium for determination.

Last time that ended in a manic psychosis but maybe this time I will conquer the mind game!

I suspect you’re trying to be uplifting and inspiring but what you wrote is actually demeaning and insulting.

Yeah, people mean well but without a good understanding of things, the advice they give out can actually be very harmful if followed...

You can not out think Bipolar I or II. Some (some) depressions can be over come with diet and exercise but some can't (at least not completely) Medication has its place in life, but like any thing they can be over used (or ineffective). I exercise to stay healthy and sane, most people are impressed with my fitness. But you can exercise to much...for example I did near 900 hours cycling last year and almost over trained....not just tried, overtrained (google it, it can be very serious). Most anything can be over done.

I have be both a coach for 10 years and a mental health counselor for 25 years...it amazes me what poeople believe and will follow without even the slightest bit of scientific inquiry. Good scientific knowledge is free these days, you just have look. I do know things are complicated but with time and effort almost anything can be understood at a decent level and over come. That is one thing my 2000 plus clients/students have taught me.

When my 9 year old son had a serious brain tumor...did I trust the doctors, yes, but I read hundreds of peer reviewed articles on every thing they said. Everything. I ask questions (nicely) and they satisfied my concerns every time. My motto, be nice, being kind is important, after that...trust but verify.

John
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Diet can help to. If you regularly have highly processed foods for convenience, were you able to move to self preparation you will be able to improve the nutritional quality of your meals and achieve a better macro balance while saving a little too. Hope you feel better soon.
  • dreamsofjoy
    dreamsofjoy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercise does help me too but I got injured a while back and now due to my depression I'm having a hard time starting again...