New runner and hip pain

Options
I’ve been doing the C25K app on and off for the past couple of months. Every so often I get lots of pain in my right hip area. Today was really bad. The pain will come and go even when I’m not running. Has this happened to anyone? Any recommendations?

Replies

• Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I get pains in my sides not my hips.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do c25k consistently as programmed. This way your body will build up the way it’s supposed to. By stopping and restarting your body is not properly conditioned.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing newer shoes that you were fitted for at a running store? The wrong shoes can really screw up your body.
    Tight or weak hips can also cause issues. Google Myrtl exercises. They are really good at working your hip area.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Shoes would be my first concern. If you haven’t been professionally fitted at a running store, you’re likely not wearing a proper shoe for your feet and gait. This can cause pain in the legs, knees, and hips, not just the feet.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you is if the hip pain continues to see an orthopedist. I speak from experience about 5 years ago had a slight twinge in my right hip didn't think of anything of it. 3 years later double hip replacement.

Sometimes it may be something as simple as your sneakers or you may need Orthotics to adjust your gaite
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a street or sidewalk that has a crown?
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Define "hip." It's a super complicated joint area! Pain in the hip socket (typically arthritis) is like groin pain, although sometimes people feel it down the front of the thigh after a run.

Pain on the outer part of your hip will most likely be IT band inflammation, or maybe a bursitis. Pain in the inside of the inner thigh is likely a hip flexor, or adductor strain. Try resting for a week or so, sometimes that's all it takes. Incorporating stretching into your day can be very (very!) helpful, but be patient! It can take a while.

See a physical therapist, if possible.

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, specifically where in the hip is the pain?

I second a physio, and the comment on stopping and starting. Do you go back to week 1 when you restart?
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Could be tight hip muscles but often where you feel the pain is not the area that is causing the pain-its referred pain.

For example, one side of my pelvis was higher than the other leading to one leg being shorter than the other. My pelvis was alternating between anterior and posterior tilt depending on what I was trying to do. These issues were causing pain in my lower back. The root of the problem was in my neck which when adjusted put my pelvis back into neutral and at the same height from left to right.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Pain in one side of the body is usually hard to diagnose, since there are many different possible causes, including foot and knee alignment issues. Try to go to a sports physical therapist or sports clinic to get it sorted out. :+1:
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I first started to run I had the same problem. I went and got some good shoes and joined a local running club. Lucky for me on of the leaders was a doctor and said try taking smaller strides. That did help quite a bit but I still got sore on long distance runs. He said I had weak hip adductors and hamstrings. He gave me some workouts to increase strength in both and night and day difference after about 4 weeks. Now this is just my experience and I am not an expert by any means but that is where I would start. Best of luck!
  • kstaines227
    kstaines227 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would say IT band issues. It's very common but can be stubborn to heal.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I first started to run I had the same problem. I went and got some good shoes and joined a local running club. Lucky for me on of the leaders was a doctor and said try taking smaller strides. That did help quite a bit but I still got sore on long distance runs. He said I had weak hip adductors and hamstrings.He gave me some workouts to increase strength in both and night and day difference after about 4 weeks. Now this is just my experience and I am not an expert by any means but that is where I would start. Best of luck!

Probably meant hip ABductors. The adductors are usually pretty strong.
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have been getting what I thought was hip pain on my right hand side. I've been running since March and am currently back up to 7 miles after taking a physio-recommended rest/cut down. I've noticed the ache coming back from 4-5 mile runs and discomfort/pain from 6-7 miles.

I went back on Monday and, after checking me over, she has concluded that my left glute isn't as strong and not doing it's job properly so my right is over-compensating and aching. So I have been told to warm up properly and focus on reverse lunges etc on the offending side to strengthen it and activate the muscle before running.

If you've checked your gait/have the right shoes then maybe make sure you are 1) warming up well and 2) stretching properly afterwards? But I'd recommend seeing a physio too, I was a physio-sceptic but I'm chuffed with what I've experienced so far :)
  • robhunt25
    robhunt25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Regardless of any advice you get on here, you need to be evaluated by a physical therapist, best of luck to you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    robhunt25 wrote: »
    Regardless of any advice you get on here, you need to be evaluated by a physical therapist, best of luck to you

Which is basically the advice given by most people...
  • RobinAlex666
    RobinAlex666 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Look up proper running form and make sure you adjust. You could face further injuries if you're running wonky
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Swim. No impact
  • maryk612
    maryk612 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes hip pain with running is from the IT band that runs from the knee to the hip. It is from a weak core, gluts and tight hip muscles. It can also be from over-training. You need to stop running and rest, ice and use a foam roller, and stretch. Once the pain has resolved you need to find a runner's workout that focuses on core, glues and hip strengthening. Start training slower with less miles and build up from there. Find a runner's store that may have classes on running and fitness, and make sure you are properly fitted for running shoes as well. If it does not get better with rest and ice then you need to be evaluated by a doctor.