Bodyrockers - Ugi ball replacement???

Options
I have read posts about bodyrock.tv for a while and I finally decided to check it out last week. I am LOVING it!!!! I am a homeschooling mama of five, so the amount of time her workouts take is much more doable than P90X for me, in this season of life. The workouts are killer in a short period of time!!!! :tongue:

I looked up the Ugi ball and it would set me back approximately $200!!!!! :noway: Ummmm...... I don't exactly think that a 10 lb bean bag is worth that much! :laugh: I think that a kettle bell would be a good replacement for some of the workouts, but really wouldn't work well for other things. I was curious if anyone had found an awesome cheaper replacement for the Ugi ball?

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hello! I love BodyRock! I am only just now biting the bullet to buy an Ultimate Sandbag (I've tried to make them myself but the handles just don't cut it).

I feel like some of what Zuzana does with the ugi ball can also be done with just a balance ball--especially one that is not inflated all the way. But I haven't thought about it much beyond that. I'd like to hear what other people might suggest.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The ugi ball must be new thing for her. I haven't seen her newer videos but her old ones she uses mainly the sand bag thing that also costs like $100 but dog food seemed to do the same trick. lol. Sorry I can't think of anything for the ugi ball
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    The ugi ball must be new thing for her. I haven't seen her newer videos but her old ones she uses mainly the sand bag thing that also costs like $300 but dog food seemed to do the same trick. lol. Sorry I can't think of anything for the ugi ball

$100, but yeah, the sandbag is quite expensive too. I have 20 lb bags of cat litter, but can't figure out how to work handles such that I can swing it confidently.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just looked this up (I'm not familiar with this program) so take this for what you will. Would it work to use a balance ball and fill it with some sand before inflating it so it has the weight, but still the flexiblity of a beanbag? Just a thought.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ooooh! I'd like to know too--I'm thinking about starting bodyrock in a month or so and that ball is crazy expensive! Thank goodness I've got sand weights already!!
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The ugi ball must be new thing for her. I haven't seen her newer videos but her old ones she uses mainly the sand bag thing that also costs like $300 but dog food seemed to do the same trick. lol. Sorry I can't think of anything for the ugi ball

$100, but yeah, the sandbag is quite expensive too. I have 20 lb bags of cat litter, but can't figure out how to work handles such that I can swing it confidently.

Thanks. lol.
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    For the sand bags, I thought that I would try a duffle bag with a bag of sand in it. This week I have just been using dumb bells instead.

I wonder if there would be a way to put sand in a balance ball? Great suggestion!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    I just looked this up (I'm not familiar with this program) so take this for what you will. Would it work to use a balance ball and fill it with some sand before inflating it so it has the weight, but still the flexiblity of a beanbag? Just a thought.

Ooo! Good idea!
  • Chantelle160
    Options
    As most of her workouts I find extremely hard, some can be done without the ball or use and exercise call instead. Also handweights can be used for some of the stuff. It sucks having to improvise but 200 is alot. I am doing the death to fat workout tonight.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Also, if you've only just started following her, be sure to dig back in her archives too. She has lots and lots of workouts and many don't use any equipment at all.
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions! I am going to be doing "Balls of Fury" after the kids are in bed this evening, so I had the Ugi on my mind! :laugh: My dh is out of town for work, but I am going to see if he can fill a balance ball with sand for me after he gets home. I will try to let you know how it works!
  • katerine23
    Options
    Instead of the Ugi ball you can buy a medecine ball ! The cost is lower than the ugi ball and it do the same job! :)
  • fitphillips
    fitphillips Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try a medicine ball. The dimensions are a little smaller but they are way cheaper...here is just one option... http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Muhammad-Collection-9-Pound-Medicine/dp/B002V36WJC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1312722212&sr=8-12
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money either plus I don't need any extra workout stuff around the house when I already have free weights. I just use my free weights when I can. I use 15 lb weights for most of the sand bag stuff. The other day I did the Balls of Fury workout and used my 8 lb free weight in place of the Ugi ball. I still got a killer workout from it and reduced to a puddle on the floor by the time I reached the end.
  • mindythorburne
    Options
    Check out the dynamax ball, SO MUCH like the Ugi ball. They run $65 for an 8# ball, it is black and white, but you can order special colors and pay a bit more (for that price who needs a special color!?!) PerformBetter sells them, they are 1" in diameter smaller than the ugi ball. call 888.556.7464 for more information. Save $65 dollars as the ugi ball alone runs $130...$189 with all the bells and whistles (dvd, flip chart & food guide). I'm buying the 8# Dynamax ball and saving $65!!!!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Mindy!

I ordered an Ultimate Sandbag this morning. My husband and I sold our weights before we moved so I feel like this is a good replacement (and more portable because I can empty out the weight!) I have been using a 20 lb bag of cat litter for squats, but I want to do some swings and I'd rather have a sandbag than a kettle bell. If anyone is interested in buying one, you can enter the coupon code "ultimate" at the website and get 15% off! Still not cheap, but new equipment is a great motivation for me to mix up my workouts and, you know, actually DO my workouts. :laugh:
  • krystin71
    Options
    I am currently using an old backpack from when I was in university. I filled it with books (also from the uni days) and use that as a sandbag and ugi. It isn't perfect, but it works for now until I can afford all the equiptment I need.
  • trouserchili
    Options
    Another alternative to a regular sandbag or ugi ball is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8rU0H-9ps

Looks like you'd get a great workout with endless variety in exercises and it's cheap to make.

/goes off to tire store to get an old tube
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Another alternative to a regular sandbag or ugi ball is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8rU0H-9ps

Looks like you'd get a great workout with endless variety in exercises and it's cheap to make.

/goes off to tire store to get an old tube

Nice! I've never seen something like that before. It looks pretty fun!
  • greatdragon
    Options
    a bag of rice? or an old rice bag filled with sand?