• schoencn
    Options
    Going to bed hungry..

Is it good?

Is it bad?
  • brittgan
    brittgan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its good or not but I know I cant do it. That is my worst time.
    After dinner snacking...YIKES!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to bed hungry. I don't sleep well when I did that. If you are feeling hungry drink some water if you still feel hungry after 20 min. have a small snack. If your hungry your hungry don't deprive yourself just because your going to bed. Eating after a certain time won't make you gain weight.
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    Eating before bed is not good in terms of trying to lose weight because it just sits there overnight. Your metabolism slows down as your body is resting, so you're not burning off the calories. If you're feeling hungry before bed, try snacking on some carrots or celery. Eating too many calories before bed will make it more difficult to lose weight. If you're feeling hungry before bed quite often, consider making changes to your dinners (the food, and the time that you're eating). Eating as late as 7-7:30 is fine, and try to eat more protein because it keeps you fuller longer. Good luck :wink:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat before you go to bed. You need to give your body at LEAST 3 hours to digest. It is good to not eat 3 hours before bed. If you eat then go to bed your body doesn't have time to digest and wont give you a better sleep because your body has to work over time, and it will store it as fat.

It's a hard habit to break eating before you sleep I have that problem. But once you get into it, it's easy. :smile:
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    Haha I just was looking at some information on the Internet, and it looks like a lot of sources claim that eating before bed doesn't have any relation to weight gain. Most sources simply state that eating before bed can have negative effects on digestion, i.e lead to acid reflux. They say that your body might have a harder time reaching a completely relaxed state if your digestive system is working overtime to digest the food that you just ate before you laid down.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with some people who said you should not eat before bed. Not saying you are wrong, I am not a expert. I just disagree. I think most people would agree it's not a good idea to eat a large amount then go right to bed, that is common sense. But most studies have shown that what time of day you eat your calories does not matter.

This is from an article on eating at night...

One aspect of weight management that is vital to understand is that we gain and lose weight over periods of time — weeks, months, years — not hour by hour. We would need to take in substantially more calories than we expend, over time, to gain weight. Another important fact of metabolism is that our bodies do not stop working, even when we are sleeping! Hearts are beating, blood is circulating, lungs are functioning, brains are even working. This all takes energy — meaning we are still burning calories.

There is no magic time after which the body stores fat. For instance, if you eat the same exact meal at 6 pm or at 8 pm, is one more caloric than the other? No, each meal has the same number of calories. What really matters is the total amount of food and drink you have over the course of a week, or a month or longer, and how much energy you expend during that timeframe. Excess calories will be stored as fat over time, regardless of whether they are taken in during the day or night.

When it comes to eating late at night, most people have two main problems. One is having a late dinner after not eating for many hours. Another problem is the "mindless" snacking that goes on at night for many people.

On the positive side to not eating late at night some people find that if they set a time that they can't eat past, it helps minimize or eliminate the possibility of munching on a lot of high calorie foods.

In my experience I have found that I cannot sleep if I go to bed hungry. I know I am ready to turn the lights out at 10pm so I make sure to have a healthy snack around 8 or 8:30.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Eating a granola bar or some fruit and veggies is not going to harm you. Like I said eat a small healthy snack but try the water first you might not be getting enough water during the day.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who ate until my were closed on my pillow. I started writting in a journal in the evening about all the crap that happened during the day and I find it really helps.
    I'm an emotional eater and this seems to help ease my "ghost" hunger. These past few days, I ate my dinner at 5:30pm and i didn't eat for the rest of the night!! Incredible. I can't only hope that this would work for someone else because its has been my miracle.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    I wouldn't go to bed starving ( I have a hard time sleeping when i do) But i wouldn't eat until you're full either. It makes sense not to eat 3 hours before you go to bed... But i think it just depends on how your body reacts at night (heart-burn, stomach aches, ect). I have been fighting candidas and i have found if i eat something before i sleep i wake up uncomfortable.. like someone is sitting on top of my stomach. We all have some form of candidas... I just have it real bad because of a past diet i had... and i took an antibiotic (my body wasn't used to it)
  • badtzmaru7979
    Options
    i am by no means an expert. just passing along information that i have come across that eating before bed will make you gain weight is false. (dont know just telling you what i heard) the reason this myth came about is because a lot of overweight people starve themselves all day then when they cant take it anymore over eat before bed. hence becoming overweight. that being said. i think a small meal or snack before bed is fine.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've been saving 100 calories every day for my bedtime snack for 2 weeks and I'm still losing weight. I usually have a 100 calorie bag of popcorn or a Special K bar. I obsess about eating at night if I'm starving. If I know I have one more snack coming, I'm fine. I think it's going to be harder to stick to your healthy eating plan if you are hungry every day at the same time.
  • LokiMama
    Options
    If I go to bed without having some small snack right before I wake up ravenous, sometimes actually ill. Worst case -- I have woken up with the fridge open eating cheese slices! I swear! I am thinking of maybe eating a carrot right before I brush my teeth, maybe it will knock off some more plaque. Before I would just eat whatever was close at hand.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    No. Please do not go to bed hungry. You will either wake up for a midnight snack or you will be totally starving in the morning.

If I am hungry.... right before bed, I cook some edamame beans (i have like 10 packages in my freezer, I swear) and I cook only a Cup worth. I eat them and go to bed. Plus you got a great fibre intake and for only 60 calories.
  • mel555
    Options
    I read an article that showed how taking time out to write helps you to lose weight. I am also an emotional eater and I am going to try that technique. I find that I get hungry just before I go to sleep so maybe writing instead will help me. After all, you can not write and eat at the same time.
  • schoencn
    Options
    thanks for all the replies!